Miles In Europe 1967 DVD

JSngry

Received via email:

The lawyers from Sony, who own the rights to everything Miles Davis, has ordered us to remove the Miles Davis European Tour 1967 from our site.

While I am waiting for their letter, I thought I'd give you all one last chance to pick up a copy. Once sold out, it will be unavailable in the U.S.

http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=10784

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i picked this dvd up in baden-baden just as the cart broght it out from the stockroom. it is choice (although it is, after all, black and white television from 1967)! it consists of two nearly identical sets in stockholm and karlsruhe (adjacent to baden-baden). naturally, the quintet is en fuego.

regards,

-e-

Edited by etherbored

Hey, I'm just being a "good citizen". I appreciate the numerous heads up I get from y'all, so when the opportunity comes to return the favor, it's a pleasure to do so.

Jim, have you seen the DVD yet? How's the sound quality? Picture quality "Pretty decent, all things considering" is all I'm lookin' for -- doesn't have to be any better than "pretty decent". Mono sound, I'm assuming - which is also OK by me.

About to pull the trigger, but looking for some firsthand feedback about this particular DVD incarnation of the material (since there are so many DVD's of this kind of stuff).

Oh, ONE MORE THING, is the DVD a DVD-R?? -- or a real, "silver" DVD??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

i picked this dvd up in baden-baden just as the cart broght it out from the stockroom. it is choice (although it is, after all, black and white television from 1967)! it consists of two nearly identical sets in stockholm and karlsruhe (adjacent to baden-baden). naturally, the quintet is en fuego.

regards,

-e-

it's a standard dvd with painted label packaged in a well designed, booklet-free standard dvd case.

the quality is about a 'c'. after all, it is black and white european television footage from 40 years ago... as i said, the two sets are almost identical, at least in composition (certainly not so much in playing). imho, worth the price of admission.

regards,

-e-

From the Jazzloft blurb....

These performances were recorded on a winter tour of Europe in 1967 : the first 5 tracks in Stockholm in October; and the next 5 tracks at Karlsruhe, Germany, in November. This exact line-up had only been together for a year at this time (Ron Carter was the last one to be added)

Say what??? I thought Carter joined Miles in '63. So who's playing on the Plugged Nickel dates, Chief??

the quality is about a 'c'. after all, it is black and white european television footage from 40 years ago...

Have you seen the Jazz Icons DVDs? You will be surprised. Some contain european TV recordings from 1958, and the sound and video quality is amazing, far superior to the all other DVDs with vintage TV recordings released before.

I can recommend this DVD ! Picture is quite respectable and the sound is pretty nice. Both concerts are killer - anyone into the 'Sorcerer' and 'Nefertiti' albums will like these performances. Fascinating watching Tony W. stoke the fire behind Wayne (who is on great form).

Yep, the blurb on the back of the DVD about Carter joining in '66 is BS.

Edited by sidewinder

Picked this one up to day - not taking any chances, even if there's no imminent mention of it being withdrawn in Europe. Suspect I might have most of the material from the 'dime' site already.

wasn't it up on the other site some seem to think one is not allowed to name here? or was that audio only? I think I have at least one 1967 DVD from there, but I'm at work and can't check right now...

Picked this one up to day - not taking any chances, even if there's no imminent mention of it being withdrawn in Europe. Suspect I might have most of the material from the 'dime' site already.

wasn't it up on the other site some seem to think one is not allowed to name here? or was that audio only? I think I have at least one 1967 DVD from there, but I'm at work and can't check right now...

Yep - I think I might already have both of them from this source. I suspect that the sound is better on this version though and it's nice to have them both neatly collated on one DVD. Tony Williams is very well captured !

jazz loft was overwhelmed by over 300 orders on this DVD alone within 48 hours of sending out the message.

Wow, I hope overwhelmed doesn't mean understocked!

Alan had to order additional copies from his European dist. I received my copy, but not the two Walt discs that were supposed to come along with the order... arggh.

Pretty awesome response to a direct mail piece I'd say. 3-5% response rate is considered excellent.