who knows a lot about jazz radio broadcasts?

i was just listening 2 this bird/diz/bud/tommy/roy WJZ last night AM broadcast i got on SAGA (uk) lp and it is really good, the 1st side is Blue n Boogie/Round Midnight-- anyways during the breaks between songs symphony sid would announce the song. is this the standard practice for radio b'casts, they would announce each tune? well durring symp. sids talking, underneath u could hear bud doin all this crazy ass solo piano interluding n stuff, like a giant intro into the next tune-- it was rad. are there many recorded instances of things such as that? do you guys know what im talking about? i dont know if i like this symphony sid guy, i cant tell if he truly likes the bird or not. but it was interesting than even in 1951 the whole original scene was already totally over and symp. sid annouced Anthropolgy with an intro talkin about how it all used to be in 1945. and then symp sid is all: "i was just sitting @ the bar w/ Terry Gibbs and he was sayin about how never again we will see all these guys on stage like this makin this music". i swear to god that is verbatim what he says check the c.p. disco. database if u dont believe me

So what is it that you'd like to hear?

If I go by the broadcast/airshot recordings (those where they did not edit out the announcer) it was indeed customary practice to have each tune introoduced by an announcer.

Not only in Jazz in the stricter sense of the word.

Take a look at old band pictures of Western Swing bands from the 30s/40s. Often you have not only the band members but also the radio station announcer lined up around the mike (as if he was a regular band member or at least somebody almost as important as the musicians) on those pics.

Many jazz radio announcers of course tried to be hip and get some jivey talk in; some succeeded, some not and came across rather phoney (and many were edited out of the recordings you can buy today).

Often those announcements give you a nice look right into that era.

I have a CD with broadcasts of the Serge Chaloff band that were recorded live in a club in Boston in 1950 or so, with anouncements and all, including the announcer doing a short interview with Serge and mentioning who'd appear at the club next week, etc. etc. Quite fascinating, and it makes the music come across even livelier (like a jump back in time).

Another one of those announcer characters I find quite amusing is Ernie "Bubbles" Whitman (also called "The Stomach that walks like a man") of the "Jubilee" shows.

And then of course Al "Jazzbo" Collins.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

One Bird aircheck (including announcers' statements) that should fit the bill is the 1947 recording of the "Bands for Bonds" program that was arranged as a "musical battle" between "Barry Ulanov's Modern Jazzmen" (feat. Bird) and Rudy Blesh's (trad. jazz) All Stars. I have the "modern" part of it on some Musidisc LP but it's been reissued in various forms through the years.

Otherwise, it's a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I like the abvoementioned 1950 Boston broadcast recordings by Serge Chaloff very much (can't think of the title and label of the CD right now) but other forumists will have other items to recommend.

In the 1980s, Savoy issued the complete Charlie Parker Royal Roost broadcasts on four CDs that include the complete radio shows with Symphony Sid. Everything is there: ads, long spoken passages, etc. Sid would often ask Bird the names of the next tracks before announcing them.

More recent reissues cut most of this out. Frankly, I don't miss it. Symphony Sid gets on my nerves. From the historical point of view, it is interesting to hear it once. After that, I just want to hear the music.

Edited by John L

hmm i thought more of u on here would know about the history/interesting incidents in jazz radio b'cast history but i guess not! weird- guess none of u guys know anything about that!

OK Chewy....later I'll tell you the somewhat infamous Maynard Ferguson / Harry Abraham ( WHAM - 50,00 clear AM Watts) story.

wham.jpg

Here is Harry's intro to his show. I think that's Yuseff Lateef.

Best of all Possible Worlds

Edited by marcello

chewy, when you'll have digested all you've learned here it will be time to explore the music of Duke Ellington. It's a new Continent out there!

Many of the ducal broadcasts heve been reissued in the Duke Ellington Transcription Shows series

D.E.T.S.

Most of them were broadcast near the end of WWII.

Duke's appeals to buy more war bonds are something else!

Also be on the lookout for some of my favorite broadcasts:

Basie Orchestra from the thirties. . . pick any one. . . awesome.

Duke from the Panther Room, or the Cotton Club, or. . .

Jay McShann Orchestra (with Bird) airchecks

Benny Goodman Orchestra (and Trio and Quartet) from the Madhattan Room or elsewhere

It's amazing to think you could spin the radio dial and catch these.

From the airshots of this era I've heard, I'd say that it was indeed common practice for an announcer to introduce each tune. Sid was "looser" than most, but yeah, that was the deal.

Is it just me, or does Sid sound a little too loose at times?

...if ya follow me. :w