Are jazz reissues dead?

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chronologically, the Landslide material would rather go with Dexter Calling - it was recorded before the Go / A Swingin' Affair sessions. Clubhouse is fine as it is, that Landslide material is not up to the level of Clubhouse. IIRC Leo Parker was supposed to be on these sessions, as a reunion of the roommates in the Eckstine band, but Parker died before the date - the shadow of his passing was all over Dexter, the way I hear him play ....

I agree. Logically, "Clubhouse" fits with "Gettin' around". It was recorded the day before and they share the same enthusiasm for material that the Dave Bailey quintet had recorded a few years before. Whether that was a coincidence or not, I've no idea, but it strikes me as a unifying theme. Of course, they won't fit on one CD.

And I like having the two next to each other on the shelf.

MG

Guest youmustbe

As I understand it, Sony has fired the Legacy folks and Verve has downsized to almost nothing.

Downloading is, or seems to be the wave of the future.

After all, how many times can you 'remaster' Soul Station and sell it thru retail, now that there is no retail?!

Been told that FreshSound has lost the rights to release RCA Victor albums :(

Who's going to reissue all those jazz sessions now?

What does that exactly mean? Were the Gold Series digipacks produced/released by Freshsound or did they just distribute them?

FreshSound distributed the Gold Series and the DeLuxe digipack sets. They reissued a lot of RCA sessions on their own.

From what I understand that's over. The RCAs are still listed at the FreshSound site but I doubt that's going to last long now!

This from a reliable source.

Maybe our Spanish resident amigos know something about this!

Well, it's about time Universal brought out a box of this stuff.

brown_james_gritssoul_101b.jpg

TODAY-F.JPGPlaysNewBreed.jpg

f187595we8t.jpgf18743qhctt.jpg

None of the above albums, recorded for Smash in the period 1964-1967, has ever been issued on CD! I think some of these others may have been on CD, but aren't now.

f18763q69vp.jpg2005-2-17-11-50-27-the-popcorn.jpg

brown_james_aintitfun_101b.jpgbrown_james_shoisfunk_101b.jpg

And then, of course, there are several albums by the JBs...

So, someone.... issue CDs of these jazz albums of the Godfather!!!!!!!!

Guest youmustbe

I'm sure there are those of you who like myself, started off with 78's, 10" 33 1/3, not to mention 45rpm singles....we've seen a lot of changes...nothing sacred about compact discs, or going to a retail outlet to purchase them...whatever is next is ok with me. And I'm sure everyone will get used to it.

I'm sure there are those of you who like myself, started off with 78's, 10" 33 1/3, not to mention 45rpm singles....we've seen a lot of changes...nothing sacred about compact discs, or going to a retail outlet to purchase them...whatever is next is ok with me. And I'm sure everyone will get used to it.

The potential benefits of CD's were obvious from the get-go. Can't say the same about downloads - seems like their main benefit is that the corporation doesn't have to spend any money on media distribution or returns. What's in it for us if they replace CD's?

Edited by felser

The potential benefits of CD's were obvious from the get-go. Can't say the same about downloads - seems like their main benefit is that the corporation doesn't have to spend any money on media distribution or returns. What's in it for us if they replace CD's?

You're right Felser. What they're doing is putting stuff out for download that they used to have as CDs. As far as I know, nothing's gone for download that hasn't already been issued as a CD. The companies don't seem to be remastering material in order to make it available as downloads.

The possible benefit to the (US) consumer might be price (though I suspect not, in most cases I've seen prices of $9.99). And, as far as Universal is concerned, no benefit to European consumers, since we can't get them through emusic.

The downside is that, as long as the companies can make cheap money putting stuff up for downloading, they're not going to spend money to digitise LPs that haven't already been done.

GRRRRRRR!!!!

MG

Guest youmustbe

Now that retail is about gone, there will always be some retail stores for music, cds, lps, etc not to mention ebay, it doesn't really make sense to print cds. Warehouse costs, packaging costs, and yes returns. Just the way it is. We'll adust. It's like the big apartment house that goes up where there were walkups. At first it seems out of place, but one gets used to it and one doesn't notice it anymore. And for people that never saw the walkups, the big building is natural part of scenery. No big deal.

You're right Felser. What they're doing is putting stuff out for download that they used to have as CDs. As far as I know, nothing's gone for download that hasn't already been issued as a CD. The companies don't seem to be remastering material in order to make it available as downloads.

The possible benefit to the (US) consumer might be price (though I suspect not, in most cases I've seen prices of $9.99). And, as far as Universal is concerned, no benefit to European consumers, since we can't get them through emusic.

MG

There were/are some Impulse downloads not available as CDs, though I suppose they might have been mastered for Japanese CDs. I suppose one benefit would be if the downloads are never allowed to go OOP, though currently the price is too high for the quality and lack of liner notes, etc. But it does seem like the beginnings of a fairly major and permanent shift, unfortunately to a worse medium. While I am satisfied with current DVD technology, at least one senses that Blue-Ray and whatever the other new medium is are better technologies. But replacing CDs with mp3s does pretty much suck.

MG

There were/are some Impulse downloads not available as CDs, though I suppose they might have been mastered for Japanese CDs. I suppose one benefit would be if the downloads are never allowed to go OOP, though currently the price is too high for the quality and lack of liner notes, etc. But it does seem like the beginnings of a fairly major and permanent shift, unfortunately to a worse medium. While I am satisfied with current DVD technology, at least one senses that Blue-Ray and whatever the other new medium is are better technologies. But replacing CDs with mp3s does pretty much suck.

I thought that you could download stuff in MP3 format and, when you burn it to CD, it converts it to some format that will play on proper CD players. I dare say there's something wrong with that, though, from what you say. But I'm ignorant, I'm afraid.

MG

Yes, the Verve Vault offers out of print cds, and Impulse and Verve etc. downloads of cds formerly available in Japan. (It's a great deal. . .10 bucks or less for a clone of a cd that was 25 dollars or so when available at US retail stores!)

Yes, I download MP3s all the time MG and burn them onto an audio cd. iTunes lets me choose to burn an audio or an MP3 cd. . . .

Guest youmustbe

Just like recording music itself, recording studios and such, all of that is becoming passe, now that there is no tape but it's all done thru a computer.

The record I'm working on now, Prince Paul, Pete Rock, Easy Mo Bee, they just do the track at home, email it to me, I make suggestions, they revise it....

Whole new world. It's ok with me. I have my Hammerklavier's on LP and CD to keep me warm!

Yes, the Verve Vault offers out of print cds, and Impulse and Verve etc. downloads of cds formerly available in Japan. (It's a great deal. . .10 bucks or less for a clone of a cd that was 25 dollars or so when available at US retail stores!)

So all I'm waiting for is for this stuff to be made available over here.

Yes, I download MP3s all the time MG and burn them onto an audio cd. iTunes lets me choose to burn an audio or an MP3 cd. . . .

So, what's the problem, Clem?

frankly, i hereby DO criticizice ALL ya'll who are paying $$$ for mp3 unless yr lobbying for lossless as well. i don't bother at all-- i'd rather NOT have something but than some compressed digital crap. (which i do listen to on an ipod but ** by choice **, & the cd or whatever is at home.)

It's no good you saying "I criticise". What's the problem? (And please remember you're talking to a tech idjit.)

MG

Surprise, I'm going to disagree with Big Burg Berg a bit.

Well. . . I used to wrinkle my nose at and toss in the hamper MP3. . . .But I find that I don't hear as much a difference as I intellectually thought I would between quality MP3 and many cds.

I also don't hear that much difference in many cases between FLAC and MP3.

Apple's AC files that Verve offers sound perfectly fine to me on my best system.

I'm no longer a snob. I've tossed my former arrogance towards compressed files out the window.

"It's about the music" I tell myself and enjoy the aforementioned.

Nothing digital sounds as good as analog. That's just the way it is.

Edited by jazzbo

Hey, sure I'll take the best I can get but the MP3 I do have I can listen to and enjoy. And at eMusic prices, and for free for audience Dead downloads etc. it's fast and easy and you can be on the move.

I have found the more dollars I've thrown at my stereo (and I've thrown too many) the better everything sounds. . . . My system is very flexible now and I can make SACDs and MP3s sound musical and just. . . enjoy.

Enjoying music is what makes me go through the daily grind, and the recent hells. And I can enjoy MP3 Brian.

Guest youmustbe

It was fun Producing Jazz records for me in the last Century...Shop talk re what studio had the best board, microphones and all that. So you spend a lot of time trying to get the 'best' sound, and then the guy that masters it fucks it up, or the pressing plant runs it off, as they did, at fast speed, and it sounds like shit!

Or the Japanese pressing has more bass than the US, and the European pressing is like warmed over piss.....And most of the people that buy it listen to it on a portable Boom Box or some such low fidelity equipment and could care less.....

When you consider that one of the greatest records of all time has it's famous track at the wrong pitch, So What on Kind Of Blue', then you gotta ask yourself, what's it all bout Alfie?

I thought that you could download stuff in MP3 format and, when you burn it to CD, it converts it to some format that will play on proper CD players. I dare say there's something wrong with that, though, from what you say. But I'm ignorant, I'm afraid.

MG

Even my girlfriend (who is no audiophile) can tell the difference between a redbook cd and an MP3 burned to cd on my mid-range system. The MP3s sound thin and harsh. I haven't downloaded an MP3 in about a year because of this. It is a far more dramatic difference than that between vinly and cds.

Brian I'm not being defensive.

But you have the habit of coming across as the most arrogant "fuck everyone who doesn't agree with me" attitude and I'm just padding the armor in advance for this BS. Obviously you have a lot of fun slinging insults, but I don't want to receive them. I've ignored more posts of yours than answered for just such reasons. Respecting elders goes both ways. (And if that crack wasn't more than just your usual bs: Are you really that aging a hipster doofus? OVER 51?)

Jimmy, I've heard thin and harsh MP3s and thin and harsh cds. . . neither had to be that way!

Edited by jazzbo

99% of John/Jane Q. Public from Anywhere, U.S.A. can't tell the difference, or care.

Whatever is foisted on tem will be what it is.

Anyone who doesn't agree with that is kidding themselves.

But I still don't like it.

Then again, though he was making a completely different point, Clem is right when he said there is plenty of good music out there on cd already - more than I am likely to get a chance to listen to in my lifetime.