The Who, Quadrophenia

Guy Berger

I recently gave this one a listen for the first time in a long time. Much, much better than the overrated Tommy. (And with a less ridiculous story.) The instrumentals are actually pretty good.

Guy

Probably the most influencial & beloved album in my life. Played it so much in my teens and early 20s that I only play the proper album nowadays once every 3 years, if that. Could never deal with the loss of seagull noises and other things missing on the CD remix*, so I rotate between the better sounding sides of 2 domestic LPs (one being my partners) and the Track Records import I bought. :) It was a great album to type term papers to! I was Keith Moon of the typewriter!

Even more frightening than the prospect of seeing Sting in the movie is eel pie. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

*There are other options. See "White Fang's" guide for anal Who fans or find Lukpac.org site (or hell, Hoffman too.) I just stick with what I grew up with.

Edited by Quincy

IMHO 'Who's next' is the best of all albums, 'Tommy' is great, (and if you have a decent vinyl early UK pressing one the best sounding records of his times, like Who's next' and 'Q'). 'Quadrophenia' is a great album too, probably a more coherent story as whole then Tommy. Not sure about the movies, long time since I looked at them. My only problems with 'Q' is that I love motorbikes and hate motor scooters, so I would be a rocker, not a mods, if we speak about transport. :)

Edited by porcy62

OK, a stupid question I could probably dig for -- but I'll post it here for a better answer.

Was there a separate (different) soundtrack released for the Quadrophenia movie?? Meaning different from the regular Quadrophenia release?? (Meaning different recordings of he same, or similar material.) And if different, how different??

I know there was a (star-studded) separate Tommy soundtrack, and I always wondered if there was a separate Quadrophenia soundtrack issued, and if it was worth seeking out.

Thanks!!! (Oh, and if so -- has it ever been on CD??)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, a stupid question I could probably dig for -- but I'll post it here for a better answer.

Was there a separate (different) soundtrack released for the Quadrophenia movie?? Meaning different from the regular Quadrophenia release?? (Meaning different recordings of he same, or similar material.) And if different, how different??

I know there was a (star-studded) separate Tommy soundtrack, and I always wondered if there was a separate Quadrophenia soundtrack issued, and if it was worth seeking out.

Short answer, yes. There was a soundtrack, and it has been out on CD (in two editions, I think). The original soundtrack contained material from the album that was used in the film, but not the whole double album (I think I remember reading that the tracks had been remixed by John Entwhistle in 1979 for the film). The remastered CD edition contains non-Who tracks that were in the film like James Brown's recording of "Night Train," "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons, "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen, and "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MGs. As to whether it's worth owning, I wouldn't know as I don't own it!

I never liked this album, thought it was overblown and waaaay too long. Side three is probably the best side, but for me, that still ain't much. Who By Numbers covered basically the same ground in much more concise and less pretentious terms.

Give me Tommy any day of the week, story and music.

Short answer, yes. There was a soundtrack, and it has been out on CD (in two editions, I think). The original soundtrack contained material from the album that was used in the film, but not the whole double album (I think I remember reading that the tracks had been remixed by John Entwhistle in 1979 for the film). The remastered CD edition contains non-Who tracks that were in the film like James Brown's recording of "Night Train," "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons, "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen, and "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MGs. As to whether it's worth owning, I wouldn't know as I don't own it!

The original vinyl also had the non-Who cuts as it made up side 4. "Listen To The Rhythm Of The Falling Rain" was another song on there. (Gawd, my introduction to James Brown was thru The Who covers on My Generation and this soundtrack! Oh well, at least I got the heads up somehow.)

The Entwistle remix was a big deal a the time as Roger & John didn't care for the mix on the original. The vocals & bass are more prominent on the soundtrack. I never had a problem with the original mix but I recall my "basshead" friends being wowed by the new mix. I bought it for the "new" Who songs but as what would happen later with bonus tracks in the end it seemed best that they were left off the original album. Side 4 ended up being my favorite part of the album.

I got my vinyl version as a cutout around 1980. Despite being an extreme Who fan at the time I don't think I'd bother unless you find it cheap, are intrigued by remixes or if you ride a G.S. scooter.

Edited by Quincy

I never liked this album, thought it was overblown and waaaay too long. Side three is probably the best side, but for me, that still ain't much. Who By Numbers covered basically the same ground in much more concise and less pretentious terms.

No problem that you don't like Quad much, but I think the subject matter is a bit different between Quad & By Numbers. While both deal with alienation By Numbers seems to have more of a mid-life crisis vibe to it, where Quad is more about a very troubled youth. But yeah, with Pete he's always troubled, so maybe not much difference in the end.

But yeah, with Pete he's always troubled, so maybe not much difference in the end.

:D

I read way too interviews back then as I hung on Pete's every word, and boy did he deliver!

What cracks me up about Who history is how distressed about growing old Pete was from Who By Numbers thru Empty Glass (I suppose beyond that too.) He was 31 when By Numbers came out and 35 for Empty Glass. For The Farewell Tour, in part a farewell because they were too old to rock 'n' roll he was 37. I guess 30 was the new 70 back then.