Jazz in Advertising

jpmosu

Hi!

I seem to recall the use of jazz in a few ads during the past decade or so. Namely, a Jeep ad that featured Trane's "Naima" and a Chrsyler spot that may have used Herbie's "Maiden Voyage."

Am I just imagining this, or am I correct? And, are there other prominent examples of jazz on Madison Ave. that I'm fogetting?

Thanks in advance for any help with jogging my memory.

john

I remember a Honda car commercial from ca.1990 tha had original music VERY much in the style of a "softer" Lee Morgan-esque Latin flavor. Always wondered who wrote it. Honda for a long stretch featured original music in their ads that made subtle but unmistakable references to the "Blue Note Sound", so I'm thinking the same guy was doing them all (writing & producing them, that is). Anybody know who this jazzy jinglemeister might have been?

Oh yeah, Sonny did a Pioneer stereo commercial that used "God Bless The Child" from THE BRIDGE. This was in the later 70s, I think.

Interesting topic. It always catches me off guard when I hear these things on commercials, and I often have trouble remembering what was being advertised (especially if I only see the ad once). I remember hearing Sarah Vaughan's "Key Largo" a couple of years back, and a few years before that there was a perfume ad that featured a vintage Nina Simone recording (I forget the title of the song now).

Also, 25+ years after the fact, I still can't get over hearing AND seeing Son Seals in a Colt 45 Malt Liquor ad. Oh, and speaking of blues music in advertisements, do those Kraft macaroni and cheese ads drive anybody else up the wall?

Levi's used Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World' amd Dinah Washington's 'Mad About the Boy'

for extensive TV commercials usage in Europe. It made a hit for Dinah Washington a couple of years ago.

Ella Fitzgerald's 'Too Darn Hot' is the timely background for an Adidas TV commercial 'running' on TV here.

Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" was in a spot for something a few years ago.

Something else - in 1982, I was in the position to wake up early every day and watch the Today show. There was a commercial for Mazola oil that sounded very much like it was the work of Jon Hendricks in both musical style and performance. Not a sample of one of his records, but an original jingle. 8 bars - the first 4 being either scat syllables of else scatted ways to use the product (hey, I wasn't THAT awake...), the last 4 being the hook - "MaZOla...has no..choLESterOL at alllll".

Anybody ever hear this jingle or hear of Hendicks doing some annoymous jingle work? Some good buckage there...

Wow, this produced more of a response than expected. What's amazing to me is the number of commericals that seems to be appropriating a particular jazz sound/label, so that instead of "The Sidewinder," we get a quasi-"Sidewinder."

I guess it's cheaper just to rip off the originals!!!!

john

Nina Simone's "My Baby Just Cares For Me" was in a spot for something a few years ago.

Something else - in 1982, I was in the position to wake up early every day and watch the Today show. There was a commercial for Mazola oil that sounded very much like it was the work of Jon Hendricks in both musical style and performance. Not a sample of one of his records, but an original jingle. 8 bars - the first 4 being either scat syllables of else scatted ways to use the product (hey, I wasn't THAT awake...), the last 4 being the hook - "MaZOla...has no..choLESterOL at alllll".

Anybody ever hear this jingle or hear of Hendicks doing some annoymous jingle work? Some good buckage there...

Jim, that was the Nina Simone rec I was referring to. Now that you've recalled the tune, I now recall the ad (I think). It was for Chanel #5, I believe, and I just remember a very chic, Beverly Hillsish swimming pool and a couple of well-tanned models in white swimsuits.

I tried Googling the Mazola ad (of course, even knowing you had likely already done so), but so far nothing. BTW,what is up with THAT? A GOOGLE failure?!? Maybe I should blame our pitiful culture... actually DISPOSING of something as valuable as a Hendricks jingle- even if it was from an ad for corn oil. Anyway, somewhere in the deepest recesses of the cold storage area of what I'll refer to as my "brain", I know that more lyrics from that jingle may very well exist. The "no..choLESterOL at alllll" line resonated with me somehow...

FUCKIN' A!!!!

THAT'S IT!!!!

Nah, I didn't even THINK to look for it on Google. Silly me...

Kick my ass if that ain't Jon Henricks!

Now - that might explain how HEndricks was able to take his Hendricks Family act on the road - this commercial was airing about the same time I caught them in Albuquerque. Mighty fine shows (I caught 3 out of the 5 nights they were there, and had him autograph my copy of New York, N.Y. He really flipped when he saw it, said that that was one of the most special things he's ever done. His inscription? "What can I say? It's all in here."

I'm SUCH a Fan Boy! :g:g:g

Grant Green's 'Iron City' was used in an ad a couple of years ago, but I don't remember the product.

Bertrand.

Sure would be approariate if the product was that old hometown favorite of mine--Pittsburgh's finest--"Iron City Beer"

Somehow I doubt it...

• 5 months later...

Anybody ever hear this jingle or hear of Hendicks doing some anoymous jingle work? Some good buckage there...

Maybe that's what we should be talking about: how to milk that bad boy and get in on this and make some of those ducats. Hear that composers?javascript:emoticon(':g')

Edited by fasstrack