Joyce Hatto hoax

Larry Kart

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh baby, this is funny stuff!

The gaseous windbags on rec.music.classical.recordings have been yapping about Hatto for years. The whole discussion seemed rather fishy, and I never bothered to investigate any recordings.

I'll laugh my ass off if it turns out to be a hoax...but the April date for Gramophone's disclosure is a bit suspicious.

... but the April date for Gramophone's disclosure is a bit suspicious.

I disagree. You don't make a "Breaking News" post on February 15 of what is meant to be an April Fool's joke.

It is more likely, definite even, that the March Gramophone went to press well before this broke, and the April issue is the first one to be published after.

I hope nobody ever discovers that the organissimo records are really Jimmy Smith's last Blue Note releases played backwards and slowed down by .003%.

Oh wait...

Y'know Jim. I didn't want to say anything, but when I saw you guys play up in Baltimore I did raise an eyebrow when you were doing this Liberace move on the keyboard, in an attempt to disguise the fact that you were switching cds in the sound system behind you. I should have known -- Joe and Randy not only sounded like Grant Green and Ben Dixon, it WAS Green and Dixon!

Here's a curious thing: I like the IPO Recordings label, which has put out lots of good jazz CDs, eg. Roland Hanna, Tom McIntosh, Roger Kellaway, Thad Jones tributes, etc. They have a "classical" page, which currently offers only one disc (by the "underrated" Dubravka Tomsic), but promises that

We will soon be starting up the much anticipated US releases of the recordings of the great English pianist Joyce Hatto that will eventually cover virtually the entire core classical piano repertoire.

Did IPO fall for the hoax? Will these recordings (as "Hatto" releases, that is... :P ) ever see the light of day? :unsure:

Edited by T.D.

This has happened in other genres. Flyright Records in the U.K. issued an album by Otis "Elevator" Gilmore, supposedly a black Cincinnati bluesman, complete with photos and liner notes, that turned out to be a fraud. It was actually music by a white blues player named Danny Adler.

I have a memory that Steve Allen did something similar to this also.

This has happened in other genres. Flyright Records in the U.K. issued an album by Otis "Elevator" Gilmore, supposedly a black Cincinnati bluesman, complete with photos and liner notes, that turned out to be a fraud. It was actually music by a white blues player named Danny Adler.

Steve Allen was Buck Hammer.

Lot of folks fell for that one, too...

And on Joyce Hatto, you guys are right to suggest that the idiotic reviewers will never recover from this. These guys just puff whatever they get for free, and don't ask too many questions. In this case, lots of people had questioned the authenticity of the recordings, but these dunces just piled up their freebies and banged out the publicity. Gramophone is claiming credit for uncovering the scandal, but it was also Gramophone who defended these recordings and told sceptics to put up or shut up and have some respect for the dead.

Was he father to Buck Naked?