Wilson, Green & Purdie - Godfathers of groove

B000KX0HNW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've had this album - on the 18th & Vine label - for a few weeks. I know it's early yet, but it's beginning to sound like THE Soul Jazz organ release of 2007.

It was recorded in September 2005; dunno what's been happening in the meantime to delay release so long, but whatever, it was worth waiting for.

You get what you expect from Wilson and Purdie, with knobs on. Grant Green Jr keeps improving. And on this he does two vocals as well. And the man can sing! His treatment of the Temps "Just my imagination" is beautiful, both vocally and on guitar.

The whole album has a wonderful feel to it.

MG

Saw these guys in Bloomington just a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great show (plus the always-awesome IU Soul Revue opened for 'em... flash me back to the 70's, Jack! I wish I'd been of age for that soul-big-band scene...) And yeah, Grant Jr. is a surprisingly good vocalist--they did "Just My Imagination" live and stretched it out a good 10-15 minutes overall. Definitely an act worth catching if they come through your town. Reuben autographed my LOVE BUG and BLUE MODE cds... I was a happy man. :)

Saw these guys in Bloomington just a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great show (plus the always-awesome IU Soul Revue opened for 'em... flash me back to the 70's, Jack! I wish I'd been of age for that soul-big-band scene...) And yeah, Grant Jr. is a surprisingly good vocalist--they did "Just My Imagination" live and stretched it out a good 10-15 minutes overall. Definitely an act worth catching if they come through your town. Reuben autographed my LOVE BUG and BLUE MODE cds... I was a happy man. :)

All three seem to be very nice people. They REALLY played at Brecon Jazz Fest in 2000. Unfortunately, they were followed by Dr Lonnie Smith with Ronnie Cuber and Peter Bernstein, who rather took the shine off the preceding set...

MG

All three seem to be very nice people. They REALLY played at Brecon Jazz Fest in 2000. Unfortunately, they were followed by Dr Lonnie Smith with Ronnie Cuber and Peter Bernstein, who rather took the shine off the preceding set...

MG

In the sense that Dr Smith et al. blew away the 'competition', or had an off-day?

MG

In the sense that Dr Smith et al. blew away the 'competition', or had an off-day?

They were certainly not having an off day. Greatest live performance I've seen in my life. No one could follow it and even playing beforehand was no picnic.

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...