The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Interesting to me that Hank Aaron does not plan to have anything to do with any celebrations when (I hate saying "when") Bonds breaks his HR record.

Aaron won't be in attendance if Bonds breaks record

edit - for me, Hank Aaron will ALWAYS be the Home Run King. Classy gentleman through and through.

What I don't like is the way Aaron isn't coming out and saying that he doesn't believe its a legitimate breaking of his record. Everyone respects Hank and what he accomplished and maybe there are a few Barry fans who would actually take it to heart if Aaron said "I believe he used steroids, he should be banned from the game and his statistics erased from the books".

Hank probably subscribes to the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" school.

If he DID say something along the lines of what you are proposing, it might just look like sour grapes on his part anyway. Even when it's most likely true. Aaron's not the person to say anything like that, nor should he be. IMO.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting to me that Hank Aaron does not plan to have anything to do with any celebrations when (I hate saying "when") Bonds breaks his HR record.

edit - for me, Hank Aaron will ALWAYS be the Home Run King. Classy gentleman through and through.

Everyone respects Hank and what he accomplished and maybe there are a few Barry fans who would actually take it to heart if Aaron said "I believe he used steroids, he should be banned from the game and his statistics erased from the books".

No, there really aren't. The only ones left are either indifferent to the allegations or will never be convinced. The only thing that might happen is a few Barry fans might lose their respect for Aaron. Being from SF, I can tell you that the level of denial among his remaining supporters is absolutely staggering. They'll have you believe that not only is he totally innocent and that the whole BALCO thing has been orchestrated by Bud Selig to distract attention from baseball's real problems, but that Barry is in fact the nicest guy in the league. At the same time, he has far fewer people in his corner now than he did a couple years ago.

Everyone respects Hank and what he accomplished and maybe there are a few Barry fans who would actually take it to heart if Aaron said "I believe he used steroids, he should be banned from the game and his statistics erased from the books".

No, there really aren't. The only ones left are either indifferent to the allegations or will never be convinced. The only thing that might happen is a few Barry fans might lose their respect for Aaron. Being from SF, I can tell you that the level of denial among his remaining supporters is absolutely staggering. They'll have you believe that not only is he totally innocent and that the whole BALCO thing has been orchestrated by Bud Selig to distract attention from baseball's real problems, but that Barry is in fact the nicest guy in the league. At the same time, he has far fewer people in his corner now than he did a couple years ago.

If I'm not mistaken, Aaron & Selig are friends. Perhaps Aaron is withholding comment out of respect for Selig. By not showing up Aaron does not publicly endorse this sham, and by not saying anything he doesn't cause his friend any headaches.

Well you nearly got the right score and wrong winning pitcher.

In all seriousness, did anyone else think that Hernandez was getting about four inches off the inside corner to lefthanded batters? It sure as hell looked that way.

Having said that, its apparent to me that King Felix, if he stays healthy and doesn't get messed up in any stupid shit, ought to be everything that Dwight Gooden was supposed to be, and maybe more.

In all seriousness, did anyone else think that Hernandez was getting about four inches off the inside corner to lefthanded batters? It sure as hell looked that way.

Having said that, its apparent to me that King Felix, if he stays healthy and doesn't get messed up in any stupid shit, ought to be everything that Dwight Gooden was supposed to be, and maybe more.

I always remember what Sandy Koufax said after the first 2 years of Dwight Gooden's career(Remember how slow Sandy started his career) He said he'd rather have Gooden's future, than his past......

I'm just glad the game is over the hype is starting to be a little over the top. Maybe now

we can just play the games without all this microscopic attention....." Can Dice K throw in the cold ?"

"Dice K has never done well in day games " .." the ball is bigger in the US can he grip it?".......it

goes on and on enough already.

He pitched pretty decent but it's hard to live up to all this hype !!!

Hernandez was getting the calls last night, but it's that old baseball axiom, "if you're around the plate, you'll get the calls." Anyone trying out MLBtv? They have this five day trial offer for internet broadcasts and they're not too bad at all. I used one of my parents credit card, since my parents live in the Bay Area I could get the Mariner broadcasts (MLB blacks out local teams), which is great because I have to do a lot of stuff on my laptop at night. A good way to make time go by easier.

OK.

I know it's only April.

Why do I get the sinking feeling it is going to be yet another lost season in SF?

Because they still have the dumbest and most stubborn management group in the league (the fact that but for the ownership group they'd be in Florida doesn't change the fact that they are dumb and stubborn). I can not tolerate people who make the same mistakes over and over again, expecting a new result each time. Fire Sabean, fire Righetti, get a GM who can identify young talent (as opposed to, say, trading Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano for a bunch of b-leaguers) and a pitching coach who actually coaches, stop signing has-beens (about half the team) and never-have-beens-and-never-will-bes (Feliz) to ludicrous contracts, develop the farm system, and then, after a few years, you might have something.

Oh well, at least it is only sports. I generally have no interest in sports, but I have to confess that I still do take a passing interest (maybe slightly more than passing) in the Giants. I really loved them as a kid, but they sure didn't love me back...

OK.

I know it's only April.

Why do I get the sinking feeling it is going to be yet another lost season in SF?

Jayson Stark agrees.

On a separate note, I now see that ESPN has truly taken the "pay for the good stuff" concept too far.

Now, if you want to read USELESS INFO you have to PAY for it! WTF? Its "useless" but only available if you pay to be an "Insider". Ridiculous doesn't even come close.

All i know is that the Red Sox starting rotation is looking very good and Jon Lester is doing well

in the minors and looks almost ready to become the fifth starter.

Well, it will be interesting to see, after his next two Class A rehab starts if he gets activated or goes to Pawtucket. I think he gets another cancer screen next month - they may want that final clean bill of health before bringing him up.

But the rotation looks very good; if Lester commands the strike zone he'd make an excellent number 5. I'd just like to see the team start hitting consistently and then I'll feel really good about their chances.

red sox blah blah blah . go padres! go jackie robinson! west coast baseball rules!

Well the Dodgers are like the west coast Red Sox what with Grady "i'm gonna stick by my pitcher" Little, NomaH , Derek Lowe.

Padres too with Cla Meredith, Wells, Bard.

Sox should have never traded Meredith and Bard !

Edited by zen archer

red sox blah blah blah . go padres! go jackie robinson! west coast baseball rules!

Well the Dodgers are like the west coast Red Sox what with Grady "i'm gonna stick by my pitcher" Little, NomaH , Derek Lowe.

Padres too with Cla Meredith, Wells, Bard.

Sox should have never traded Meredith and Bard !

That's why you guys need to hop on the Mariner bandwagon before it gets too crowded. Besides what other team announces a home run with a ......

FUNKBLAST.jpg

Edited by Matthew

is a "funk blast" the seattle equivalent of a "splash hit"? Do they play bootsy collins when the mariners hit a homerun?

the mirabelli for bard, meredith trade was the greatest. that is why you cant let emotions dictate baseball decisions.

The story of the Funk Blast:

Sexson’s got the funk – and the groove to go with it

LARRY LARUE; The News Tribune

Published: April 4th, 2007 01:00 AM

Richie Sexson became a funk master Monday.

It wasn’t entirely his doing.

Over the years, the Seattle Mariners’ marketing folks have come up with any number of ways to celebrate a home-team home run on their big scoreboards. They’re always looking for new ideas.

This offseason, they came up with one.

It wasn’t entirely their doing.

It began when one of the team’s public-relations executives, Warren Miller, had a CD on his desk – “Funk Blast,” a greatest-funky-hits of the 1970s. General manager Bill Bavasi, prowling the offices, saw it and borrowed it.

“Pretty cool,” he told Miller.

Then the Mariners’ vice president of marketing, Kevin Martinez, wandered into Bavasi’s office and saw the CD on his desk.

“I saw ‘Funk Blast’ and immediately thought about home runs,” Martinez said.

So the team decided, for fun, to work “Funk Blast” and a song from Parliament, “Give Up the Funk,” into its celebrations.

Enter Sexson.

Monday, Sexson homered – his and the team’s first home run of the season. As Sexson went into his trot, the scoreboard beyond left field lit up with the words “Funk Blast!” and fans rocked to the tune “Give Up the Funk.”

Sexson didn’t notice.

“It said what?” he asked. “Maybe I should wear tie-dye the next time I hit one.”

is a "funk blast" the seattle equivalent of a "splash hit"? Do they play bootsy collins when the mariners hit a homerun?

the mirabelli for bard, meredith trade was the greatest. that is why you cant let emotions dictate baseball decisions.

Why do you think that emotion had anything to do with it?

The facts were:

Bard was rapidly proving that he could not handle Wakefield's knuckler, which was the reason he was on the roster. It was already effecting Wakefield and how he pitched. He was practically afraid to throw the knuckler because he was afraid the kid wouldn't catch it. Wakefield was an important part of the rotation who couldn't be counted on to do his job only because of his batterymate.

Mirabelli is the one pitcher out there they knew could handle Wake, and who Wake was extremely comfortable with.

Meredith had blown his chance with the Red Sox the previous year (when he was called up prematurely) and had gone into an extraordinary pitching funk in which he couldn't get out AAA guys at Pawtucket. He was a basket case, and they had been working on some perceived flaw in his delivery and trying to get him back to the great reliever he had been before he got the call up. In short, he was someone who didn't look like he had any particular future, and certainly did not look like he had a future as a Red Sox pitcher.

Meredith took it upon himself to go back to his old delivery, and everything fell into place. Good for him - but the decision to let him go was a reasonable one. You never know how a trade will work out, but the most reasonable complaint about that trade is that Mirabelli went from an OK hitter with some pop in his bat to a downright horrific hitter. If Mirabelli's hitting hadn't gone so far downhill, I don't think anyone would be bitching about that trade. Certainly no one would have guessed that Meredith would become such an important part of the San Diego bullpen.

But the simple bottom line is that the trade had nothing to do with "emotion".

Any comment from Yankee fans on the state of the rotation? Mussina and Pavano placed on the DL, a kid with 14 innings of AA experience gets the call against the Indians on Tuesday, and no one knows who will pitch against the Red Sox next Saturday OR Sunday at the Fens.

A Foxsports.com commentator said in a chat that "this is the year that bad things happen to the Yankees rotation" and while I thought it was an interesting prediction, I didn't think so many bad things would happen this quickly.

I guess the positive side is that the Yanks should easily convince Clemens that they really really need him.