Miles - complete Jack Johnson

Gary

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I had mentioned "Directions" in this or the other Organissimo thread, but I did so at AAJ instead.

I have the DSD Sony two cd "Directions" and LOVE it. That said, I'm more and more glad I have this set (I was fooling myself into thinking I wasn't going to buy it some time back, yeah right) and am enjoying it more and more. The different segments of "Go Ahead John," and the different takes of "Willie Nelson" (a highlight of "Directions" for me) and "Nem um Talvez/Little Church" (always dug these on Live/Evil and I'm a huge Hermeto fan!) have been spinning a lot, and I'm warming up to a few of the unreleased jam pieces more as well. . . .

I wasn't planning to buy this set, but found it at a good price and took the plunge.

It is easy to be cynical about it. This music was never meant to be heard in this manner. Miles always had the tape machine going at that time so as not to miss anything special. These 5 full cds all come from a 5-month period in the studio.

That said, I have to admit that I am really enjoying it! If nothing else, it is a great historical document. But it is much more. Hearing the music as it actually went down somehow gives a much deeper feeling for, and understanding of, the end result.

Besides, most of the tracks are blues or blue vamps. And I can never get enough of hearing Miles play the blues.

Mercifully, the wah wah only briefly surfaces toward the end. :g

Really can't be of any help. . . I"ve always liked this tune from my wornout vinyl of Directions trough all its appearances as part of live performances. . . .

This was very interesting to me to hear all these takes after living with the one take previously released. . . I would say don't listen to these back to back! After the first few times through on sets like this with lots of alternates I don't listen to them back to back; I listen to one or two this time, then one or two the next time, and so on. . . .

I like the "space" in this song and the structure. . . heck I just like it; I can certainly see someone not liking it.

The first time I listened to disc #1 of the new box, I was also a little put off by that many takes of "Willie Nelson" --- though I'm an admitted Miles fanatic, especially of most of the "Jack Johnson"-era music. But I'm mean, there's 52 minutes of versions of "Willie Nelson" based mostly on that same vamp - so it's bound to get a little old... ...and it sure did the first time through (for me).

BUT, then I listened to all of disc #1 again (several days later, while I was making dinner --- so it was semi-focused listening, although I was doing something else at the same time too), and somehow I really connected with this music, nearly all 52 minutes of it, actually. I think part of it was that I started focusing on the individual instruments, particularly on Jack DeJohnette (man, his playing is deceptively simple at times, but always DEEP!!), and also on Sonny Sharrock and/or John McLaughlin (although I think it was Sharrock that captured my attention more so.) Man, this music really has some kick to it (at times). Not quite a kick like "Right Off" or "Go Ahead John", but still - there's a strange forward momentum to this music (even with the 'starts' and 'stops' at times) that really is a bit of a mind warp. So simple, yet so complex.

All that said - the "Jack Johnson" box in general, and all the "Willie Nelson" takes in particular, would probably be better with all the discs in a 5-disc changer, on 'random' mode.

Still, I have been very impressed by this box set. Of the 5 hours of material, I think fully 4 hours of it stands up very strongly. Only disc #4 (most of the slow, moody, and 'pulse'-less tunes by Hermeto Pascoal ) leaves me fairly cold. A little goes a long way with that kind of Miles (for me anyway)...

...but I think nearly all the previously unreleased material is highly interesting, and very worthy of release. And overall, I think the "Jack Johnson" box stands right up there with any of the Miles Box sets.

In fact, my three favorites probably are the "1965-68" box, the "Miles & Gil" box, and the "Jack Johnson" box (all three being about equal, collectively in 1st place for me).

Then I'd probably put the "In A Silent Way" box in 2nd place, followed by the "Miles & Coltrane" and "Bitches Brew" boxes in 3rd place (together). And I'm sure I'll rank the "Seven Steps To Berlin" box in 4th place (which is my 'last' place position in this ranking). For a time I wasn't even sure if I was going to get every Miles box (particularly the "Seven Steps To Berlin" box), but now that I've got all of them (so far), so I'm sure I'll take the plunge and get the last one too (especially if I can get it used and cheap sometime).

Anybody know why they're NOT going to do a box for the studio material recorded after the "Jack Johnson" box????? (I understand that the "Jack Johnson" box is the last (chronologically) in the series. I really dig "On The Corner" (though I didn't right at first - but it grew on me quite a bit, over time), and I would love to hear more of that material.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Hey. I'm much better with "Willie Nelson" now. I skipped the first 4 cuts, and went straight to the 'remakes'. MUCH better. Smokin', actually. I realize now that the first 2 cuts (or more) are really stripped down and the bass line is just repetitive and goes nowhere. Whereas (on the remakes, anyway) later on it becomes much more creative and free-flowing.

Whew! I feel better now.

Thanks for all your insight ...

Anybody know why they're NOT going to do a box for the studio material recorded after the "Jack Johnson" box

That is indeed bewildering. Looking at Peter Losin's killer Miles Ahead Sessionography, it appears there must be five or six CDs worth of studio material from 1972 to 1975.

I don't remember if it was here or on AAJ, but someone mentioned that in Paul Tingen's "Miles Beyond: The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis" he says one is in the works, but that contradicts eveything else.

LON -- is that a cool-looking Philip K. Dick as your avatar?

Edited by nmorin

[bI don't remember if it was here or on AAJ, but someone mentioned that in Paul Tingen's "Miles Beyond: The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis" he says one is in the works, but that contradicts eveything else.

that was me !

I said

In the excellent Paul Tingen book 'Electric Miles - the explorations of Miles Davis 1967-1991' when discussing the On the Corner sessions he briefly mentions Columbia are to release a box set of the On the Corner sessions (page 139).

If theres money to be made from Miles's legacy I cant see Columbia putting a full stop to the releases .

I agree, if there is a dollar to be made on Miles, Columbia will get to it. I see them soon enough releasing previously only bootleg recordings with the estate's permission.

Yes, my last two avatars have been PKD. I'd never seen this photo before; it's pretty cool! Has to be mid-fifties I think.

Ive only ever seen that once - it was on Ebay at the time i was only on line at work.

The bid ended at the weekend so when i left work on the Friday i (naively) left a bid for roughly £20 ($33) .

Got back to work on Monday , crossed my fingers & logged on . It had eventually sold for £120 ($201).

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know anything about a 12" being put out of "sugar ray" b/w "little high people?" i have seen scans on someone's web site of the record label (one of those great photos of miles in the ring at the gym). any place to order this online? local vinyl shop has no idea of it's existence. i think i heard that it's clear vinyl, too ...

This is a promo for the Sony box set. Unlikely to find it online, maybe in a inde record store that sells demo copies.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the best deal to get the box in Europe? Amazon France has it for 60 Euros. Cheaper than that anywhere?

That's a good price. Elsewhere in Europe it is 80-90 Euro. I bought mine from CD Universe for $50, but had to pay VAT on it.

Zweitausendeins usually has the lowest prices on box sets, but those are temporary offers and it is not sure if and when they get the Jack Johnson set.

Edited by Claude

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody had any problems with disk 3? I hear what sounds like a digital skipping sound on Track 3 at about :39. It's at a place where there's a lot of organ and electric piano, so it "almost" sounds like it's part of the tune. Could it be my CD player?

yes I noticed this too, the first time I listened to it. I went back and listened to the passage over and over, and from what I can tell it's part of the music. It almost sounds like a skip, but the timing on the CD player doesn't register any skip (the time flows normally, in other words). I believe it is just from the Farfisa Herbie is playing

• 2 weeks later...