How can we lobby to get Rare Grooves back?

Soul Stream

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donald petersen

bantu village is funky in a late 60s way.

sort of riff-ey grooving and snappy drums. stuff you could sample. not very deep or very electric sounding (compared to where donald byrd was going at the same time). a funky bass and drum riff and the horns play some short solos, maybe a percussion and drum break. funky but still distinctly jazz, IMO. if this makes sense, you could imagine this album being on atlantic.

i haven't heard colission in black but i think it is straighter.

the mcduff album is one he recorded with british musicians...i have no idea why. no one you would really know of. some names are familiar but nothing too exciting sideman wise. it's straighter and more mellow than moon rappin' and not as good but i like it better than who knows what tommorow is going to bring? which is sort of tight and a bit commercial sounding. this one we are discussing is sort of soulful spiritual briefly at points but nothing grabs you like on moon' rappin where he was playing with dudes he was tight with and knew what was up. it's still a really good album though i imagine will be pretty costly on vinyl these days. i like the cover too-not what you would expect during that era (it is sort of sparse and arty)-again, IMO.

Guest donald petersen

i think calling "bantu village" mediocre is not fair.

it is a good date.

i wish the songs were longer, but it's worth a listen.

maybe it has a mild blaxploitation soundtrack feel?

"mediocre",bah! i'll take a copy of bantu village & collision in black,in an instant.when i heard that mosaic was coming out with a blue mitchell box,i thought they would be included.when i found out they were not in there,i think i cried out,oh,the humanity! or something to that effect. grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Edited by mike casinghino

WHY HAVEN'T I EVER HEARD OF THESE. WHAT OTHER BN FUNK TITLES DO WE NOT TALK ABOUT HERE A LOT?

like brother jacks who knows what tmw will bring cd i got few mos back- i had no idea that even existed

havent even seen the blue mitchells on vinyl-- are they like the "true blue" of bn 70s funk lps? ebay at all?

IT IS INSANE THEY WOULD NOT REISSUE SOMETHING SO FUNKY LIKE THAT- ITS A BLUE MITCHELL FUNK ALBUM, NO WAIT, 2 of THEM-- they need to do, to quote a 70s reissue saying, issue a 'two-fer' of this YESTERDAY

MG-- how "mellow" are those Lytle sides?

edc

I've never heard "Done it again". I've got a very tatty copy of "Swingin' at the Gate". I like Lytle a lot. These PJz came out between the Keepnews Jzld/Tuba stuff and the Keepnews Milestones. They seem to show Lytle expanding his ideas before getting to the Milestones, which are fabluloso! But, in their own right, not viewed as transitional albums, I think they're excellent (the live one anyway). The whole thing feels beautiful. And there's stuff in there that he never did any other time. It's a bit like some of Freddie Roach's albums - "My people (soul people)", "All that's good" "Down to earth" - not in the music, but the way it feels.

MG

MG-- how "mellow" are those Lytle sides?

edc

I've never heard "Done it again".

MG

I've got bits and pieces of 'Done It Again' - worthwhile album and along w/ all those Solid States should see the light.

A bit like Don Cunningham in that the originals on the LP are a bit more exotic than groove oriented. I always see Lytle getting short verse from anything I've read but I completely love the energy he puts into just about everything I've heard ... cheese or not.

"mediocre",bah! i'll take a copy of bantu village & collision in black,in an instant.when i heard that mosaic was coming out with a blue mitchell box,i thought they would be included.when i found out they were not in there,i think i cried out,oh,the humanity! or something to that effect. grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Naaah, they are really boring dates. The Mainstream lps are way better and funkier.

Naaah, they are really boring dates. The Mainstream lps are way better and funkier.

Particularly the one with Jimmy Forrest and Walter Bishop.

MG

I was not that impressed with Sweey Revival, i will have to give it another spin .BUT on the

other hand Two-Headed Freap is the Bomb !!!!!

I love Sweet Revival. To me, it's one of those good unknown cds. I'd rate it 4 stars (out of 5). Not all the tunes are good, but some of them are delightful. I also like Ronnie's solo on "Alone Again." In fact, that is likely my fav. tune on the cd. They do a cover of a Crusader's tune as well.

water seems to reissue based on which covers look the coolest, to them (they seem to like covers with black people on them) rather than the quality of the music....

I like those covers. In fact, I hate selling off an individually-issued cd with a nice cover like that in exchange for buying a Mosaic box of the same music. I miss some of the covers of the individual cds which I now own under Mosaic boxes.

water seems to reissue based on which covers look the coolest, to them (they seem to like covers with black people on them) rather than the quality of the music....

I like those covers. In fact, I hate selling off an individually-issued cd with a nice cover like that in exchange for buying a Mosaic box of the same music. I miss some of the covers of the individual cds which I now own under Mosaic boxes.

I agree , i wish Mosaic would just reprint the covers on the jewel cases instead of the same pic

from the cover of the box ..over and over....

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to revive this thread.

Again want to throw up Reuben Wilson's "On Broadway" and "Set Us Free" as two I'd love to see. A VG+ copy of Set Us Free just sold for 120 bucks on Ebay.

I really do freakin' miss those batches of Rare Grooves. Looking back, those were some of the happiest CD buying days ever for me.