What to do?

I have just made my first listing on here, and I would like the collective wisdom from my fellow members. I have a collection of slightly over 5,000 CDs, and I have decided to make some serious inroads in culling that number. In all naivity, should I list them here first, with appropriate discounts for quantity purchases for the benefit of fellow members, or should I list them on eBay, and then post that listing here? Any thoughts.. ?

Garth.

I have just made my first listing on here, and I would like the collective wisdom from my fellow members. I have a collection of slightly over 5,000 CDs, and I have decided to make some serious inroads in culling that number. In all naivity, should I list them here first, with appropriate discounts for quantity purchases for the benefit of fellow members, or should I list them on eBay, and then post that listing here? Any thoughts.. ?

Garth.

I'm in your same predicament, although I am dealing with significantly fewer CDs than you are. I'm planning on listing here first in the near future.

It depends on what you're looking for: quick sale & minimal loss due to fees or maximum price possible on some items, possibly no bids on others (but still paying listing fees). Some of what I am currently selling might not get bids on ebay, or I might have to start the bids lower, and risk a lower selling price, while going the route I have, I've gotten fair prices at lower cost.

Frankly, I've had some tough eBay transactions, mainly because things were adversarial. One buy wondered why I didn't disclose that a staple through the liner notes on a CD was 'bent funny'. Oh, we worked it out, but I've found transactions with the relatively friendly folk here a lot easier. If there's a misunderstanding, it's usually amicably resolved. No threats of bad feedback or withdrawn payments.

I'll give up a few bucks/francs/euro for that.

I will start off by saying I having purchased CDs from many different Sellers here and have NEVER had what I would consider a bad experience. Some better than others, of course, but never a bad experience. If someone is a regular contributer to the Board they generally guard their reputation carefully.....

That said, I find that the really rare issues, those that bring top dollar on ebay, are often the hardest ones for me to know how to get rid of. If you offer them at low prices there are a few people here that are only in interested in them to make a profit. If you sell it to them, a week later you see them on ebay for three times the price you received.

If you offer the rare ones for trade only, most of the time, you will not receive offers of comparable value because people do not want to get rid of their rarest items......therefore, they have nothing to trade.

Finally, if you ask people to make an offer they generally respond asking you to list a price. A fair price is pretty hard to determine. You can go to half.com or amazon and see if they have one listed but generally those prices are over the top and it is questionable if the item will ever sell for that price. If you look for a relatively current ebay sale they may, or may not, have a recent comparable sale. ...

I currently have duplicates of some very hard cds to find that I have been holding for awhile because of this quandry..I may just offer them for a price that looks fair to me and ask anyone interested to make an offer at a different price if interested and see what happens. I know people on the board would like first crack at these without having to deal with ebay, but like I said, the rarest ones are the hardest ones for me to deal with.

Good luck. Hope to see you list them here soon.

Strangely enough, I've had far more success selling CDs on eBay than I had here, though my prices here tend to be lower. Maybe it's the high shipping rates the Dutch Postal Services charge, I don't know, but if that's the case it does seem to bother eBay buyers much less than the members here. Pity, as I'm planning to sell a substantial part of my CD collection - not because of MP3/downloads/ipods/or whatever, but I need the space and the cash...

Edited by J.A.W.

Strangely enough, I've had far more success selling CDs on eBay than I had here, though my prices here tend to be lower. Maybe it's the high shipping rates the Dutch Postal Services charge, I don't know, but if that's the case it does seem to bother eBay buyers much less than the members here. Pity, as I'm planning to sell a substantial part of my CD collection - not because of MP3/downloads/ipods/or whatever, but I need the space and the cash...

Maybe it's the high shipping rates the Dutch Postal Services charge,

Precisely!! It is a blessing and a curse. Hans, if shipping were not so hign I probably would be broke by now buying the stuff you sell here! :g:lol:

Interesting, but it seems more and more people are starting to sell off their collections. Looks like with all the downloads and ipods and MP3s and such, the cd is on its way out. It's hard now to get big prices on cds on ebay or elsewhere.

While some of that is happening, I think with many folks here you do the math with the following factors: life expectancy with good hearing, amount of time for listening, square footage of storage space available, and current inventory of cds. If you own several thousand CDs (heck, even just 1000) and you're over 40, there's a chunk of music that may never get played again. Might as well start culling the collection (to free up space & cash to buy more! :P)

Interesting, but it seems more and more people are starting to sell off their collections. Looks like with all the downloads and ipods and MP3s and such, the cd is on its way out. It's hard now to get big prices on cds on ebay or elsewhere.

While some of that is happening, I think with many folks here you do the math with the following factors: life expectancy with good hearing, amount of time for listening, square footage of storage space available, and current inventory of cds. If you own several thousand CDs (heck, even just 1000) and you're over 40, there's a chunk of music that may never get played again. Might as well start culling the collection (to free up space & cash to buy more! :P)

Hmmmmmmmm ... 67 - 5000 + 1,900 squ.ft = liquidation!

Essentially that is the dilemma I am in. As a fairly financially comfortable single guy about three years from retirement, I am beginning to downsize my life while I work out my options for a future life. I may stay right where I am and find a small place on a beach that can visit often ... However, I am currently double-stacking both books and CDs on their shelves, and the equation Quincy offers above comes into play. Now that I no longer need all of my library for my radio show, or all of my books for research projects, I just have to start culling these collections. It is rather sad ..but it has to be done. I sent my son home to Toronto last weekend with more than 120 CDs in his bags .. and he made it through customs without a problem!

I have told this story before on here, but in 2001, I sold my entire collection of about 8,700 LPs to Euclid Records, a store in St Louis specializing in Jazz vinyl. The guy drove down to Houston overnight, looked over my collection, made a fair offer, and after modest counter he wrote me a check, and boxed the collection. I made him a sandwich, and he drove back to St. Louis the same day. For the next few years I broke into tears every time I saw one of my albums on Euclid's auction lists. Of course, of course, if I had held on till now, I could have gotten about twice the price on eBay, but it was far too much trouble.

So ... are there any honest dealers out there paying a reasonable price for used CDs? Or am I just caught in the great "boomer selloff"?

For the next few years I broke into tears every time I saw one of my albums on Euclid's auction lists. Of course, of course, if I had held on till now, I could have gotten about twice the price on eBay, but it was far too much trouble.

I think it probably was the right thing to do to save the headache of 8000+ Ebay transactions. I'm still in the collecting phase and have around 30 years until retirement, though I am trying to slow down due to space limitations. On a related subject, I am contemplating a purge of some urban sociology books that I no longer use (and in fact have boxed up and not looked at in 2 years). But it will be extremely painful to contemplate getting rid of even 10% of them. In the past I dumped them off at a sociology department where I was pretty sure they would go to good homes. I don't think that is an option this time around.

It ain't necessarily so!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOSAIC-CD-BOX-Ike-Queb...1QQcmdZViewItem

That high bidder is listed with no fewer than five bids at the winning price of 1309.99 which means he was so intent on winning that he went back four times to place higher bids to be certain he wouldn't lose. Unbelievable. :blink::wacko:

Though Amazon takes a whopping portion of your selling price, it's way lower maintenance than eBay. It's sort of like harvesting. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't sell 'em here, which is also like harvesting. But with a friendlier atmosphere.

Amazon and eBay, when used together, are great tools for figuring market value. Check there before you do sell here, if that's the route you're taking. If the lowest Amazon price seems stupidly high, it probably is- I've seen things have a low price of $80 fall to $2 over the course of a few months. Just depends on how many folks are selling.

Good luck!

Amazon Marketplace & Half.com prices are a joke. I feel sorry for the poor bloke who buys at those exceedingly exorbitant prices and later finds the same item for, sometimes, $80 less. There is the occasional good deal on those sites, though.

I'd have to disagree. I probably buy more than 90% of my CDs between Amazon Marketplace and Half.com and there are frequently good deals if not fair pricing on most of the items I'm looking for. It's when an item is rare or difficult to find that you'll see the outrageous prices.

I'd love to pick up a copy of the Jazz Crusaders "Old Socks, New Shoes" but there is no way I'd ever pay the $95.00+ that current Marketplace buyers are selling it for. I once balked at one for $16.00 and never saw it near that price again. I should have taken it when I had the chance.

Edited by mikelz777

I'd have to disagree. I probably buy more than 90% of my CDs between Amazon Marketplace and Half.com and there are frequently good deals if not fair pricing on most of the items I'm looking for. It's when an item is rare or difficult to find that you'll see the outrageous prices.

This is basically my route as well. Of course, I am not usually looking for the really rare things, but I am so sick of eBay that I much prefer Amazon and Half.com. (Gemm.com is often a waste of time also with a lot of people listing "special order" items.) Recently I got fair prices for JR Monterose and Here Comes Louis Smith on Amazon Marketplace, which is about as rare as I go. When there is a problem, I've generally had better luck on the Amazon sales in getting it straightened out.