R.I.P Kurt Vonnegut

In 1963, or thereabouts, I was at the U of Iowa and one afternoon wandered into the "literary" bar for an afternoon beer. The only customer patted the bar stool next to him and motioned for me to sit. It was Vonnegut and I was an English undergrad. He didn't know me, he just wanted someone to interact with. I sat at the stool for a couple of hours, drank beer and do not remember anything we discussed. :mellow:

What a loss.

In 1963, or thereabouts, I was at the U of Iowa and one afternoon wandered into the "literary" bar for an afternoon beer. The only customer patted the bar stool next to him and motioned for me to sit. It was Vonnegut and I was an English undergrad. He didn't know me, he just wanted someone to interact with. I sat at the stool for a couple of hours, drank beer and do not remember anything we discussed. :mellow:

What a loss.

Cool story Chuck.

I read KV when I was real young and liked him. I may have been too young, because I remember very little. Today I stopped at the library and picked up Breakfast of Champions. And also two others at the book store. Time to refresh my memory.

rip KV.

I loved Vonnegut when I was in high school, but quickly outgrew him. Fortunately, I rediscovered his work in my forties and realized that the problem was me, not Vonnegut.

Wise words. I'm 47. I know I'll be doing some KV.

I walked into a bookstore on St Mark's Place in the East Village sometime in 1968 or 1969. I picked up a paperback by an author I wasn't familiar with. It was Sirens Of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.

I flipped. I got to the end of the book and immediately reread it. From that point on I read every book KV wrote. I read them as they came out and I read what I had missed before the Sirens Of Titan.

If I had to name a favorite Author it would be him

Edited by Harold_Z

Well, it is sad when important figures leave us, but I think we can also celebrate the impact they had on our lives through creating great works. In Vonnegut's case, I think he had sufficient time to say much of what he wanted to say, and that is also something to be glad about. I'll definitely revisit a few of his novels in the next few months.

I often wonder if I will be able to complete even a fraction of the projects I would like to get through, and it seems unlikely. As of right now, my "legacy" is a handful of co-written articles for work that I am reasonably proud of -- and a few poems published in very obscure poetry magazines. It just doesn't seem to be enough, and yet even this is more than many people achieve. I will make more of an effort to do some creative writing, but I am fooling myself if I think I can complete anything major in the next few years. My children are very young and it is far more important to me that I spend time with them now than to lock myself away and write. But I will see if I can cut down on some of the procrastination...