Any Road Cyclists Here?

Something I've gotten more into the past few years is road biking as opposed to mountain biking. I try to ride twice a week and ride at least 25 miles on most Sundays. It's something I never thought I would seriously get into. I don't ride more often since I already spend 4 days/week working out at the local gym with the weights. I've been involved with weight training for the past 20 years and that's something I'll never give up on. What I really enjoy about riding though is the adrenline rush I get out of it. I'll tell you, after a good ride it will put me in good spirits for hours. Something I've never gotten for the most part out of weight training. I started riding almost 3 years ago. It was very humbling at first, thinking with my job which requires me to walk on the mail route everyday, I figured I was pretty fit all around. Guess again! It was real tough at first when just riding a few miles was a real effort. Cardio wise I thought I was a wuss. But over time and with alot of patience and alot of off season training in the gym, I think I'm beginning to make some serious progress. Now when I ride, I can basically go the entire time without stopping for a break and I'm not fatigued by rides end. This year I decided to get the clothing and at least look like I'm serious, even though I realise I could never seriously compete with the hardcores I see out on the road. Well enough from me. Anyone else out here bike? How often do you ride and how many miles do you travel? What kind of bike do you ride? I'm curious to see if there are other enthusiasts here also?

Edited by Tom 1960

Yeah, I started road cycling in 2001. Used to be a distance runner, but the knees and joints were getting too sore. Prefer road (don't own a MTB), because mtn seems too technical and trails tend to be too humid for my liking. Usually start riding in late March or early April, hang it up in late Nov or early Dec, run/walk/snowshoe over the winter.

I've done a fall "century" each of the past two years, to take the place of marathons I used to run. Centuries are a lot easier, but still give a feeling of accomplishment and require some training. I wear the goofy clothes because it's more effective (jerseys have pockets, tight shorts w. pads are most comfortable if you go distances).

I usually ride by myself, am slow but have stamina and do OK on hills (western/central Catskills have a lot of big ones). Group rides (clubs, bike shops) require some pack-riding skills and can get competitive. Usually do 20-75 miles at a time, favorite long weekend rides in the 60-75 mi range.

I most often ride in the general vicinity of the Pepacton Reservoir. From Kingston, you should be able to find some good routes toward the Ashokan Reservoir and Rondout Valley.

Hi Tom. I'm pleased there are other cyclists here! Glad you're enjoying it and gaining some condition that you may have lacked before. It's a great pastime/sport in spite of the problme that are well publicised enough (not that they aren't endemic in othere sports too). A great way of seeing your countryside, meeting people and keeping the demons away :P

I ride one of those....<<<<<..made in your fine country. Equipped with Campag and Mavic.

I used to compete at various levels. Some European events that were the hardest races I've ever experienced. Met some big names along the way, in various ways. Lucien Van Impe, Fred Rodriguez, Stuart O'Grady, the Plankaerts and many more British and European 'names'.

If I had the chance again, I'd have done some things differently but it all came along quite quickly for me and as a young bloke, you don't always make the best choices so now I just ride daily, between 30 and 70 miles (some days I venture farther afield --- 90 - 100), all at an average of 20mph to keep me fit and able to get in shape quickly if I ever decide to compete again.

It keeps me sane too. Sane-ish.

You're a long time dead, so if you enjoy the activity then invest in some quality gear. It'll make life so much more bearable and inspire you to push yourself that little bit more. Some think you have to martyr yourself to old hack bikes and cheap gear because that way you've made more of an effort and 'earned' your achievements but the good stuff will allow you to ride further, faster in as much pain but with less chance of minor irritations (breakdowns etc.) keeping you on the roadside.

Keep your head up Tom and if your ever in the UK give me a shout and we'll stack some miles in!

Oh, and coffee stops! Everybody needs the coffee stops.

Have fun!

I hear you guys on being adverse to dealing with the traffic. I kind of feel the same way myself, mainly confining my riding to less traveled roads. On occasion I'll ride the bike into work on Saturday's for the main reason that there's a heck of alot less traffic on the roads compared to weekdays. I will ride trails on occasion, but after getting a taste last year what it's like to road ride, I pretty much ride exclusively on the roadways. My bike is what you call a hybrid, good on trails and highways. It's a TREK and I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe in the future I'll invest in a good road bike, but I'm cool for now. TD and Tony, you guys are the hardcores and I have immense respect for what you're able to accomplish. The miles you guys log on a regular basis is serious stuff. A goal I have set for myself is to get a 50 mile ride in before the cold returns here in late October. They have a cancer charity ride in the fall where participants can ride something like 10, 25 and 50 miles. I'd like to give that a shot. But I'll have to gauge my progress this season and then make a decision. So far, I feel real strong this year and that gives me hope.

Tony, coffee stops are cool! I'm what you call a coffee fanatic. That's probably for another thread.

I hear you guys on being adverse to dealing with the traffic. I kind of feel the same way myself, mainly confining my riding to less traveled roads. On occasion I'll ride the bike into work on Saturday's for the main reason that there's a heck of alot less traffic on the roads compared to weekdays. I will ride trails on occasion, but after getting a taste last year what it's like to road ride, I pretty much ride exclusively on the roadways. My bike is what you call a hybrid, good on trails and highways. It's a TREK and I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe in the future I'll invest in a good road bike, but I'm cool for now. TD and Tony, you guys are the hardcores and I have immense respect for what you're able to accomplish. The miles you guys log on a regular basis is serious stuff. A goal I have set for myself is to get a 50 mile ride in before the cold returns here in late October. They have a cancer charity ride in the fall where participants can ride something like 10, 25 and 50 miles. I'd like to give that a shot. But I'll have to gauge my progress this season and then make a decision. So far, I feel real strong this year and that gives me hope.

Tony, coffee stops are cool! I'm what you call a coffee fanatic. That's probably for another thread.

love my trek. used to be american made. not so sure now.

some friends have put thousands into their awesome bikes.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I also have a nice Trek hybrid. Unfortunately, I was not accustomed to riding on anything but nice flat East Coast terrain and took a nasty ass-over-teakettle spill going down a relatively small slope in SF the day after I bought it. Embarrassing, but I never learned that using the front brakes when going downhill is a big no-no. It hasn't left the garage too much after that...sadly, my neighborhood is just too hilly and frankly, I'm starting to wonder if the bike is just too big for me to ride it properly (if I try to lean over the back wheel when going downhill, I can barely reach the handlebars).

... but at least getting some fresh air to counteract the bad grad student behavior that I so easily indulge.

I bet it works! Good plan.

Tom, hope you decide to go for the 50mile ride. Before the event, if there's a website us board members can sponsor you on, let us have the link.

If you're training specifically for it, then bear in mind you'll only have to train up to about 80-85% of the distance; the good morale and large bunch will carry you through the extra mileage. And as for all those big carb meals the night before, take it or leave it. If you're getting through your regular rides with a normal balanced diet then don't go changing your routine the night before. It'll only stress your system -- possibly having adverse effects.

Let us all know how you're progressing.

i used to do quite a bit of riding on my trek hybrid, i was never into road bikes, until that encounter with a pickup truck. i had the right of way,i guess it did not matter to the truck. after that i basically stopped riding for a number of years. just started back up over the last couple.

tom,are you talking about the,pan-massachusetts challenge,that raises money for the jimmy fund? that takes place the beginning of august. my nephew,who is a personal trainer in the boston area,has become quite a bike enthusiast.he will be riding in the challenge for the second straight year. he does the long ride,192 miles,in two days!

pan mass challenge

Edited by mike casinghino

Mike, this is local charity event and not related to the Mass. race. Since I've gotten back into riding I've been aware of this event but have passed on it since the local Juvenille Diabetes walk is scheduled on the same day and I can usually be found there. This year I might just donate some money to the walk and ride in the other event. As for your nephew, that's a heck of a ride. Good luck to him!

Tony, I'll keep in touch on my progress and let you know if I participate. Thanks for the encouragement my friend.

Yes I cycyle every day to work and back ....different way to coming home and get about 24-25 miles a day in the Peak District which is rather hilly but GORGEOUS!

I also cycle at weekends too and love that.

Got a hybrid and a mountain bike but will eventually move from the hybrid to a road bike when this one wears out!

Other raod users are probably no more of a pain I guess than me but the one gripe I have is all the dirt and yuk off the road during the winter moths which coasts the bike in this horrible goo!

However I started 2 years ago ...three reasosn...hate driving, healthy exercise, lovely scenery

• 2 months later...

To update my progress for those interested. Just this past weekend I completed a 45 mile ride. I was pretty exhausted afterwards, but feeling a great deal of pride being to get this far in such a short period of time. The past month I decided it was time to increase my distance by concentrating on 30 - 35 mile rides. Things we're going so well I just had to attempt at least a 40 mile ride this past Sunday. Well, I was making such good progress I decided to go on abit further and as I said and took it to 45 miles. The only thing I encountered on the negative side from the ride was some sore knees, which lasted less than 24 hours. Something which concerned me alittle. I have to sometimes remind myself like working out with weights not to overdo things. It's a good recipe for injury. I don't quite think I'll shoot for the same distance this upcoming weekend perhaps maybe staying in the 35 - 40 mile range, playing things on the smart side. I'm not certain if there is going to be a charity ride this September or not. Haven't heard anything yet? Even if that falls by the wayside, getting a 50 ride in before season end, looks to be a slam dunk.

Edited by Tom 1960

Good job! Re. sore knees, that can be caused by riding in too big a gear (a bad habit of mine, but supposedly common with ex-runners). You might gear down enough to be able to pedal at least a certain cadence (rpm), say 75 or more on flat ground and a little lower (but at least 60, say) on steeper hills. Not that I always do that...

Edited by T.D.

Hi Tom, T.D could be right about the knees but it may also be caused by either a saddle height that is a bit too high or a bit too low or having your shoeplates (cleats) set up incorrectly. One of those things that's a bit of trial and error I'm afraid.

Where is the soreness? If it feels like it's coming from behind the kneecap then it may be gearing too high or saddle height, if it's coming from one particular side of the knee then it may be your foot is toe'd in or out a bit too much. Also shoeplate set up may cause the ball of the foot to be too far fore or aft of the pedal spindle. If you're pedalling 'tip-toed', then soreness may result here.

Try to borrow a home trainer if you can, and then you have a bit more freedom to tinker with saddle/shoe position etc.

one last thing about knees; it may be that you are simply 'building' them up...going from little to a lot of miles with increased effort used to be called Easter Knees in this country --- a symptom of underprepared riders embarking upon the racing season which gets underway end of February!

I'm glad the miles are rolling more 'easily' for you though. It's a drug once they start whizzing by!

Good luck mate.

Hi Tom, T.D could be right about the knees but it may also be caused by either a saddle height that is a bit too high or a bit too low or having your shoeplates (cleats) set up incorrectly. One of those things that's a bit of trial and error I'm afraid.

Where is the soreness? If it feels like it's coming from behind the kneecap then it may be gearing too high or saddle height, if it's coming from one particular side of the knee then it may be your foot is toe'd in or out a bit too much. Also shoeplate set up may cause the ball of the foot to be too far fore or aft of the pedal spindle. If you're pedalling 'tip-toed', then soreness may result here.

Try to borrow a home trainer if you can, and then you have a bit more freedom to tinker with saddle/shoe position etc.

one last thing about knees; it may be that you are simply 'building' them up...going from little to a lot of miles with increased effort used to be called Easter Knees in this country --- a symptom of underprepared riders embarking upon the racing season which gets underway end of February!

I'm glad the miles are rolling more 'easily' for you though. It's a drug once they start whizzing by!

Good luck mate.

What is the object in your avatar? Kind of looks like part of a bicycle frame.. I used to ride a lot more off road on my mtn bike, a full suspension Giant NRS2. I recently bought a Trek road bike and have been riding a lot more on the farm roads around my house out of convenience. I average about 60 - 100 miles a week. Love riding!

What is the object in your avatar? Kind of looks like part of a bicycle frame..

Yes, it kinda does! :rsmile: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=426501

Still getting lots of use out of the Bianchi I posted about in the other thread. Fortunately most of my route is by bike path, with just a short stretch in downtown traffic. I have to remember not to get complacent about watching for cars.

Tony, sometimes I feel it at the top of the knees although it's not unusual to feel it along the sides. I'll try to pay more attention next time I run into any difficulty. I'm usually pretty good for most of the ride until towards the end when I tire. It could very well be the fact that perhaps I maybe doing too much too soon. It's just that I get so jazzed up with the progress I'm making, I simply may be overdoing it? Maybe a more gradual approach will suffice? I will also keep the seat adjustment in mind. I think I have it set as low as the seat will go. I remember when I first started riding I lowered the seat, because I didn't feel comfortable riding too high up. I suppose I could adjust that slightly and see if that helps?

Edited by Tom 1960

Tony, sometimes I feel it at the top of the knees although it's not unusual to feel it along the sides. I'll try to pay more attention next time I run into any difficulty. I'm usually pretty good for most of the ride until towards the end when I tire. It could very well be the fact that perhaps I maybe doing too much too soon. It's just that I get so jazzed up with the progress I'm making, I simply may be overdoing it? Maybe a more gradual approach will suffice? I will also keep the seat adjustment in mind. I think I have it set as low as the seat will go. I remember when I first started riding I lowered the seat, because I didn't feel comfortable riding too high up. I suppose I could adjust that slightly and see if that helps?

yeah Tom, lots of tweaking! But once you find comfort...keep everything just as it is! In 22 years of riding my position has changed from day one but for the last 15-16 years it's been pretty much the same. A transition to longer cranks (from 172.5 to 175mm), longer stem, the saddle is slightly further behind the bottom bracket and the saddle height has dropped slightly.

It does sound like you have a case of Easter Knees so more miles and better condition should rectify it. Don't hesitate to see a physio though if it persists or gets worse. Some buddies to ride with may help you identify a strange riding position.

Where to this weekend then?

If you don't mind give me a general wherabouts so I can 'Google Earth' it! (I love looking at parts of the world that I'd love to cycle in)

Cheers!

Tony, if you Google 'Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge' and make your way to the right of the bridge. I'll be riding on and off county highway 103. Hope that helps? Let me add if you scan in very closely, just down the road from the bridge you will see a road which runs both left and right. I'll be riding both sides.

Edited by Tom 1960

I'm an ex-runner, even did a couple of marathons. I developed back problems, so I decided to take up road biking. My back was an issue with road biking as well. I've been through few road bikes, and am surprised how much difference the frame's material makes. I had a carbon frame and a couple of aluminum framed road bikes. Last year I got a Gunnar frame-they only make steel. It's made a big difference. The bike is lighter than one of my old aluminum ones. It's not cheap, but I've been able to get some distances with it, including a couple of "centuries".