Naked Lunch featuring Ornette

medjuck

I was organizing an old pile of film score cds people had sent me when I came across this. The score is by Howard Shore with a few Ornette compositions but Ornette plays on nearly every cut! Did this get much notice in the jazz community when it was released? I mean where else can you hear Ornette playing a Monk composition?

I was organizing an old pile of film score cds people had sent me when I came across this. The score is by Howard Shore with a few Ornette compositions but Ornette plays on nearly every cut! Did this get much notice in the jazz community when it was released?

I think so. I always thought of it as a major Ornette release and one of my favorites.

I mean where else can you hear Ornette playing a Monk composition?

I completely take the point, and only make the comment because I happened to be listening to it earlier - but there's the large ensemble 'Variations on a Theme of Thelonious Monk' [Criss Cross] on the Ornette Atlantic box...(also answers the 'where can you hear Ornette playing with Bill Evans?' poser ;))

Edited by Red

i pretty much always hated the Jam, the Style Council & solo, "mature" Peter Weller is hardly more interesting. less, in fact. just cuz he's parochial & not dead, hell maybe not QUITE as lame as Townsend... the Elvis Costello thing, OK... (ain't my bag but...) Morrissey (same thing but the ladies useta love him... just cuz most are pushing or well past 40 now doesn't mean they weren't tight once.)

"Permafrost," baby--

edc

:crazy:

grab that gideons in the bedside table at the Super 8 and get wit tellin' your Peter from your Paul.

apples and oranches, mugwumps and sand worms, bug powder and gold bond.

Egbert van Heemskerck the Younger

i pretty much always hated the Jam, the Style Council & solo, "mature" Peter Weller is hardly more interesting. less, in fact. just cuz he's parochial & not dead, hell maybe not QUITE as lame as Townsend... the Elvis Costello thing, OK... (ain't my bag but...) Morrissey (same thing but the ladies useta love him... just cuz most are pushing or well past 40 now doesn't mean they weren't tight once.)

"Permafrost," baby--

edc

:crazy:

grab that gideons in the bedside table at the Super 8 and get wit tellin' your Peter from your Paul.

:rofl: You mean Paul wasn't Robocop? I thought he wanted to be on Setting Sons :lol:

(Some of those reviews for The Gift rival those of Robocop III, which didn't even have Weller Paul or Peter but instead Hal Hartley's boy Robert Burke, who deserved a payday.)

Great disc. Very interesting movie as well. I recall the impact of hearing Ornette's version of "Misterioso" in the theater when I saw the film.

I seem to recall that Francis Davis reviewed the soundtrack recording in, I think, the Village Voice at the time it was released. He wrote something along the lines of: "It's the closest thing we'll ever get to an 'Ornette with Strings' record."

Naw, he doesn't play with the strings on that one. That does remind me of Forms & Sounds though--Ornette on trumpet + strings, although he doesn't really play with the strings (more like in-between).

You're right, I should've pulled out the ESP before I said that. Do dig the string quartet though.

• 4 years later...

I saw the movie when it debuted, but I wasn't familiar with Ornette at the time, so I never made the connection.

I'll need to revisit one day, if I can get in the right mood for it (which hasn't happened yet since it's initial theatrical run).

Worked well in the film. Didn't enjoy it that much as a stand alone cd.

Wow, I like it quite a bit as a standalone. Granted, it's a challenging listen on some levels, but no more so than lots of out jazz. It certainly creates its own world.

I guess it was too much of a challenge for me TTK.

Edited by JohnS