Henry Grimes

Vincent, Paris

• 1 month later...

The Henry Grimes website seems to be up and running.

Henry Grimes

Of special intersest:

Also, Michael Fitzgerald, co-author of the award-winning biography Rat Race Blues: The Musical Life of Gigi Gryce, is researching and documenting the amazing life and career of Henry Grimes with the intent to produce a full-length book. If you can contribute recollections, photos, recordings, or anything else, please contact him at mike@HenryGrimes.com.

:tup

• 8 months later...

Just saw this on the Henry Grimes website:

Joyful news!! The first label release by the NEW Henry Grimes will be out soon!! It's The Henry Grimes Trio featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake live in Europe, 'O4 on Ayler Records (<www.Ayler.com>)!!

Can't wait for this to come out. I knew the trio was touring together and hoped that something would be documented. Looks like my wish will come true.

Joyful news!! The first label release by the NEW Henry Grimes will be out soon!! It's The Henry Grimes Trio featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake live in Europe, 'O4 on Ayler Records (<www.Ayler.com>)!!

Can't wait for this to come out. I knew the trio was touring together and hoped that something would be documented. Looks like my wish will come true.

From Margaret Davis:

We are trying for October for the Ayler Records release... but don't be surprised if there's more than one disc!

yes, this is fantastic news! still nothing up on the Ayler site about this. This will be a pre-order for me.

:tup

• 4 months later...

Can't wait for this to come out.  I knew the trio was touring together and hoped that something would be documented. Looks like my wish will come true.

From Margaret Davis:

We are trying for October for the Ayler Records release... but don't be surprised if there's more than one disc!

Alan's site lists it for January:

Henry Grimes Trio featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake - Live in Europe, '04 (Ayler Records) Jan

Great to see Henry Grimes back in the playing loop. The man has some very important and creative things to say with the bass. I've always liked his playing. I first heard Grimes on the ESP label more than thirty years ago (“The Call”, ESPCD 1026). For all those who are not hip yet, checkout the www.ayler.com web site. There is some very serious hardcore music being promoted at this site. Definitely not for those who are into the white wine and jacuzzi smooth jazz genre. Only the very serious minded discriminating aficionados need to investigate. :rolleyes:

HenryGrimes_01r.jpg

Subscribers to The Wire magazine gedt a free double CD (The Wire Tapper 12) along with the December issue that includes 'Flowers for Albert', a four-minute track from a concert that will be included in the Ayler release.

'Wire' magazine says the Henry Grimes trio is made up of Newman Taylor Baker on drums and Andrew Lamb on sax and flute. No flute is heard on that track!