how much would you give to see this gig?

Sam Rivers Trio In Concert

with Dave Holland (bass), Barry Altschul (drums)

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 8 p.m.

Miller Theatre (2960 Broadway at 116th St.)

1 Train or M4, M60, or M104 bus to 116th/Columbia University

As conclusion to a monumental week of on-air broadcasting, WKCR is proud to present a reunion performance of Sam Rivers' monumental trio of the 1970s. For the greater part of a decade, bassist Dave Holland and drummer Barry Altschul were some of Rivers' primary musical associates, alternately performing as a virtuosic free-improvising unit with uncanny intuition, and serving within rhythm sections for ventures into larger ensemble works. The night of May 25 brings the three extraordinary improvisers together — Rivers, Holland, and Altschul — once again for a night bound to be filled with spontaneous musical communication unlike any other.

The concert will be held in Miller Theatre on the campus of Columbia University. A proscenium stage designed for the acoustic demands of art music in concert, Miller Theatre perennially plays host to scores of groundbreaking, innovative performances across all artistic disciplines.

Advance Ticket Information

Admission: $20

buy online from our preferred provider, Brown Paper Tickets

or call their 24-hour hotline: 1.800.838.3006

Tickets on Night of Performance

Admission: $25 Adult / $20 Senior / $15 Student

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great show. Sam Rivers doesn't quite have the same fire behind his playing, but the style is completely intract. Holland was incredible, and Altschul was great too.

They played a really long time! It ended around 10:15 or so (there was a 20 or so minute intermission, but still...) It got kind of hard to pay attention towards the end because I hadn't had diner prior to the show, but I'm glad I stuck around as the ending was pretty powerful.

Guy will be able to add more color, I'm sure.

This was a great show. Sam Rivers doesn't quite have the same fire behind his playing, but the style is completely intract. Holland was incredible, and Altschul was great too.

They played a really long time! It ended around 10:15 or so (there was a 20 or so minute intermission, but still...) It got kind of hard to pay attention towards the end because I hadn't had diner prior to the show, but I'm glad I stuck around as the ending was pretty powerful.

Guy will be able to add more color, I'm sure.

I think J pretty much nails it, I don't have much to add. Sam's stamina and force aren't what they were 30 years ago, but the mind is 100% (maybe 110%) there and it showed in the playing.

I feel like a total idiot for arriving 15-20 minutes late. :(

Guy

during sam's interview from thursday, he mentioned being on oxygen the last couple months because of bouts with pneumonia, and noted forgoing the oxygen without his doctor's consent. for mr. rivers to perform the concert you mentioned is more than remarkable.

Jeez, I hope he is not risking his health.

By the way, I saw William Parker (who J Larsen pointed out to me) and Henry Grimes at the concert. Supposedly Cecil T was there too.

Guy

He was a bit short of breath after tunes during his last tour of the UK (especially after bursts on the tenor) but it didn't affect the music one iota. A phenomenon and a man on a mission !

Hopefully people got the chance to meet Sam. He's a very cool character. :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

He was a bit short of breath after tunes during his last tour of the UK (especially after bursts on the tenor) but it didn't affect the music one iota. A phenomenon and a man on a mission !

Hopefully people got the chance to meet Sam. He's a very cool character. :cool:

Any sign of another European tour?

during sam's interview from thursday, he mentioned being on oxygen the last couple months because of bouts with pneumonia, and noted forgoing the oxygen without his doctor's consent. for mr. rivers to perform the concert you mentioned is more than remarkable.

Jeez, I hope he is not risking his health.

By the way, I saw William Parker (who J Larsen pointed out to me) and Henry Grimes at the concert. Supposedly Cecil T was there too.

Guy

Hey Guy - Sorry for not sticking around to meet up afterwards - I was single mindedly focused on getting food at that point - had a crazy day at work and had barely eaten anything. At one point halfway through the second set I started thinking that maybe I really could go downstairs and steal that guy's sandwich!