DIZZY GILLESPIE

paul secor

You can find the two 12/21/47 Metronome All Star cuts on Capitol Jazz Classics Vol. 6 - All-Star Sessions. I have it as Capitol M-11031. No idea what the original Dutch cataolg number would be,

Have the LP right in front of me: It's Capitol 5C 052.80 806

What are the titles left off of Strictly Bebop, and are they any less dire than the ones that were included? Just wondering it they're on the upper or lower "You Stole My Wife, You Horse Thief" side of the bar... :)

1949:

I Can't Remember (vcl Tiny Irwin)

1950:

Carambola

Honeysuckle Rose (vcl Joe Carroll)

"Carambola" was/is on the Capitol "The History of Jazz" comp "Vol. 4 - Enter The Cool" (Cap T796) that was around in several iterations/pressings from the original issue of the late 50s at least up to the mid-80s (I bought my copy as a Spanish facsimile reissue in 1983)

Those three are included in the 7CD set 'Dizzy Gillespie Complete Big Band Studio Sessions' from United Archives

MI0003256331.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also liked what I've heard of the Dizzy/Getz records; there seem to be quite a few of them. Some will think the partnership sounds odd. I guess you don't know Getz very well if you don't know he could be a smoking bop player at times.

If not already mentioned, I recommend the album by Bebop and Beyond that pays tribute to Dizzy, with Dizzy on most of the tracks. His singing and moving trumpet solo on "I Waited for You" should not be missed.

• 2 years later...