Running low for Selects?

I recently asked Mosaic about this - they said that no Select has low enough stock to warrant Running Low status as of now, but that the earliest sets had sold very well and that they would add the selects to the main running low list as appropriate.

Not shipped in numerical order.

No disrespect to anyone on the board, but the fact that Mosaic does not ship in numerical order seems to have been clarified numerous times in many threads that I can remember. Yet it still seems that on practically every thread that deals with the availiabilty of the Mosaic sets, people still say something to the effect of "well, I just got shipped number _____, so we are still safe" or "I just got shipped number_____, hurry up and get yours!" I'm not sure why this is. Mosaic has indicated to myself and other board members that they don't ship in numerical order. Perhaps this fact should be clarified in its own thread? The numbering system still seems to cause alot of stir around here.

Like I said, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, and I'm sorry to vent this in your thread, Big Al.

Anyways, carry on.

P.S. For my money, those early Selects are still some of the best products Mosaic has ever released. Get em while you can.

Not shipped in numerical order.

No disrespect to anyone on the board, but the fact that Mosaic does not ship in numerical order seems to have been clarified numerous times in many threads that I can remember. Yet it still seems that on practically every thread that deals with the availiabilty of the Mosaic sets, people still say something to the effect of "well, I just got shipped number _____, so we are still safe" or "I just got shipped number_____, hurry up and get yours!" I'm not sure why this is. Mosaic has indicated to myself and other board members that they don't ship in numerical order. Perhaps this fact should be clarified in its own thread? The numbering system still seems to cause alot of stir around here.

Like I said, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, and I'm sorry to vent this in your thread, Big Al.

Anyways, carry on.

P.S. For my money, those early Selects are still some of the best products Mosaic has ever released. Get em while you can.

My understanding is that "Selects" ship in random order, but their other sets ship sequentially.

Am I wrong?

Eh, just curious is all; this is my first Select purchase, so what do I know? (I also received the Tony Williams and Bobby Hutcherson sets as well, but the numbers aren't printed on the outside like the Moncur's was).

Skid, I've been semi-familiar with the Moncur set for some time now, after repeated listenings to the Night Lights program that featured this select (it's called "Destination Out" and can be found in the Night Lights Archives). I'd like for this thread to die down, so I'll post my full impressions on an already existing Moncur Select thread (Assuming there is one; I haven't checked yet).

BOTTOM LINE:

BIG SETS = shipped in numerical order (and hand numbered at time of shipment)

SELECTS = NOT shipped in numerical order (and prenumbered by machine on the first 20 or so in the series, and NOT numbered at all for the more recent Selects)

OK, any questions?

And yes, this WILL be on the exam. :)

SELECTS = NOT shipped in numerical order (and prenumbered by machine on the first 20 or so in the series, and NOT numbered at all for the more recent Selects)

You just saved me the embarrassment of starting a thread called "How come my Boooby Hutcherson and Tony Williams Selects aren't numbered?"

You just saved me the embarrassment of starting a thread called "How come my Boooby Hutcherson and Tony Williams Selects aren't numbered?"

If I were you, I'd send them back to Mosaic and INSIST that they be numbered. :w

To make things even more confusing... I'm pretty sure they number them as they go out the door - and sometimes they miss one. I bought a set once that came with an unnumbered booklet, but the invoice itself had the correct number written on it. So I wrote that number into the book myself. :w

If I were you, I'd send them back to Mosaic and INSIST that they be numbered. :w

Or you could number them "0001" on your own and sell them on ebay.

Or you could number them "0001" on your own and sell them on ebay.

Don't let my 11-year-old Blue-Note-hating son see this; he'd do it in a heartbeat! :)

To make things even more confusing... I'm pretty sure they number them as they go out the door

Somebody's been cutting class. :blush:

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with you... but the second part of my quote (which you deleted) was the relevant part.

To make things even more confusing... I'm pretty sure they number them as they go out the door

Somebody's been cutting class. :blush:

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with you... but the second part of my quote (which you deleted) was the relevant part.

I know--I just thought you missed my post where I definitively, unambiguously, and authoritatively resolved the issue of whether the big boxes are numbered at time of shipment, as only I am qualified to do. :P<-----(it's a joke)

As far as I know Mosaic decided not to number the Selects anymore a while ago, to cut costs.

Maybe they could sell the numbers separately?

That would be great, 'cause the numbers take up a lot less shelf space.

Agreed. I threw mine away (I know, I know, ebay, but I'm a busy man...)

As far as I know Mosaic decided not to number the Selects anymore a while ago, to cut costs.

Somebody explain to me why numbering those sets costs money?!

Funnily enough, the price of Selects has gone up since they stopped numbering them.

:D

Edited by ASNL77

Somebody explain to me why numbering those sets cost money?!

Funnily enough, the price of Selects has gone up since they stopped numbering them.

:D

That's because each set becomes first among equals. :rolleyes:

What's the sound like on the Hutch Select? I've got all of the LPs and love the music to bits but the convenience of having it all together might tempt me with the Mosaic. The Liberty LPs sound OK but like most (if not all) late-70s blue label pressings there is a bit of high-end 'drop off' evident and a lack of depth compared with earlier Blue Notes.

What's the sound like on the Hutch Select? I've got all of the LPs and love the music to bits but the convenience of having it all together might tempt me with the Mosaic. The Liberty LPs sound OK but like most (if not all) late-70s blue label pressings there is a bit of high-end 'drop off' evident and a lack of depth compared with earlier Blue Notes.

Can't say anything about the sound on the Select compared to the LPs, other than that it's a typical Ron McMaster mastering job.

Edited by J.A.W.