Rethinking Old Age

So I don't like it when people try to pimp Christianity, or any belief system, to me......I don't see how that has any relation to my earlier post. The board member's comment that I defended was not anti-religious. It was a comment pointing out a flaw in an individual's reasoning regarding their defense of creationism, as the entire argument made by that individual made vague scientific (?) statements that continued to revert back to the Bible rather than ground themselves in science. How a criticism of that is anti-religious, I don't see.

What I will speak out on is when they try to shove their religion down your throat. Religion is a great thing for people if makes them happy, and I'm all for people doing what makes them happy, as long as they don't harm anyone in any way. And as far as all these anti-religious statements that I supposedly read and remain silent about, I assume they are in the political forum? I am not in that forum very often....maybe 5 minutes a day to read the latest spat between the usual parties. I'm not too comfortable discussing religion or politics in an open forum. Over the years I've have seen a few sporadic anti-religious and pro-religious comments and kept my mouth shut. But seeing this stuff pop up outside the politics forum is a bit annoying, especially in a thread that is discussing something very serious such as care for our elderly, a topic that is very dear to my heart given the unusually high number of people I've seen die for someone my age (I'm 30). But I assure you, jazzypaul, that when I'm reading a thread about the Hank Mobley Mosaic running low, and someone chimes in and says that the only reason its running low is because so many board members believe in Jesus, and that they should really become atheists or else more sets will run out quicker, I won't keep my mouth shut.

P.S. Sounds like a good idea to me, as long as we limit the talk about religion or politics! And I dig your radio show....with all due respect to Bruce Oscar or John Benet (sp?), I much prefer your taste in jazz.

So I don't like it when people try to pimp Christianity, or any belief system, to me......I don't see how that has any relation to my earlier post. The board member's comment that I defended was not anti-religious. It was a comment pointing out a flaw in an individual's reasoning regarding their defense of creationism, as the entire argument made by that individual made vague scientific (?) statements that continued to revert back to the Bible rather than ground themselves in science. How a criticism of that is anti-religious, I don't see.

What I will speak out on is when they try to shove their religion down your throat. Religion is a great thing for people if makes them happy, and I'm all for people doing what makes them happy, as long as they don't harm anyone in any way. And as far as all these anti-religious statements that I supposedly read and remain silent about, I assume they are in the political forum? I am not in that forum very often....maybe 5 minutes a day to read the latest spat between the usual parties. I'm not too comfortable discussing religion or politics in an open forum. Over the years I've have seen a few sporadic anti-religious and pro-religious comments and kept my mouth shut. But seeing this stuff pop up outside the politics forum is a bit annoying, especially in a thread that is discussing something very serious such as care for our elderly, a topic that is very dear to my heart given the unusually high number of people I've seen die for someone my age (I'm 30). But I assure you, jazzypaul, that when I'm reading a thread about the Hank Mobley Mosaic running low, and someone chimes in and says that the only reason its running low is because so many board members believe in Jesus, and that they should really become atheists or else more sets will run out quicker, I won't keep my mouth shut.

:tup

(watch how I do this without bringing up any religious points at all...)

Sal,

first off, I think you took me differently than intended. I wasn't getting at anything happening in any other thread in my original comments.

That gets us to point #2. Someone stating their beliefs is not "shoving religion down your throat." Instead, it is someone stating their beliefs. I have never gotten upset with someone saying that they are an atheist. I have never even gotten upset with someone for expressing the views of their atheism. What I have a problem with is their condescending nature towards religious folk, and Christians in particular. And I seriously have a problem with someone telling someone else that they shouldn't talk about something that they think is relelvant to the conversation. And if you think that issues of spirituality aren't relevant to a conversation about caring for the elderly and what to do when they're ready to pass on, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sharply.

As for your compliment at the end of your last post, thank you very much. And if you're interested, both Barry and I are playing in downtown Glen Ellyn on Saturday afternoon. PM me for details if you're interested.

In the afterlife, we will all have a complete set of all Mosaics ever issued, or to be issued.

I could do without the T-Bone Walker as I have all but a couple of tracks. Will it be compulsory?

MG

The Mosaic T-Bone Walker given to you in the afterlife will include his 2006 collaboration with Baby Face Willette, recorded on a puffy white cloud.

Fuck the nursing home thing and the assisted living thing. And, except for the cases where severe medical care is necessary, fuck the kids that would put their parents in these places.

Call me old fashioned, but I WANT my parents living with me when they're old. I WANT them around my kids to give advice, keep them entertained, and pass on their wisdom. I WANT my kids to get grandparently love for more than simply the holidays. Not to mention, what's better: being around a whole bunch of old people waiting to die, or around a bunch of young people that want to live life?

My siblings and I are prepared to take in our parents in when it gets to be that time.

Not an easy thing to do as I watched my father care for his mother until her she passed. It's not for everybody so I can understand when some people decide to go the nursing/assisted living/retirement/home route. I do have a problem though when old folks are left alone either in their own houses or one of the above mentioned places. I always said that would never happen to either of my parents.

I have one surviving great aunt that lives in a beautiful place on Long Island. Someone from the family visits her weekly without fail, although these days I'm not sure she would notice if that didn't happen. I know it was a tough thing for her sons to do, but at the time she was still pretty much in control and thought it was best.

I think the main reason Americans in general don't take in their parents like some cultures is just our mobility. In the past, families stayed in one area, and extended families in one town was the norm. Now, families are scattered all over the country. It certainly makes it a lot more difficult.

I think the main reason Americans in general don't take in their parents like some cultures is just our mobility.

Either that or the possibility that nobody wants to be a middle-aged neurotic living with an older version of themself...

Maybe the stereotype of "Old World" cultures being more generationally-interdependent is based on Old World cultures not turning out as many fucked up head cases from generation to generation.

Hey, I just said "generationally-interdependent". Q.E.D.

(watch how I do this without bringing up any religious points at all...)

Sal,

first off, I think you took me differently than intended. I wasn't getting at anything happening in any other thread in my original comments.

That gets us to point #2. Someone stating their beliefs is not "shoving religion down your throat." Instead, it is someone stating their beliefs. I have never gotten upset with someone saying that they are an atheist. I have never even gotten upset with someone for expressing the views of their atheism. What I have a problem with is their condescending nature towards religious folk, and Christians in particular. And I seriously have a problem with someone telling someone else that they shouldn't talk about something that they think is relelvant to the conversation. And if you think that issues of spirituality aren't relevant to a conversation about caring for the elderly and what to do when they're ready to pass on, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sharply.

As for your compliment at the end of your last post, thank you very much. And if you're interested, both Barry and I are playing in downtown Glen Ellyn on Saturday afternoon. PM me for details if you're interested.

Um.

I don't think you suceeded.

when i become middle aged like you guys im going to listen to nothing but Keith Jarrett and buy a red '87 Porche 911 and troll around playgrounds hitting on 7-year old asian boys

Some words of advice on the 911.

If you opt for the Targa top, make sure you apply extra glue on the hair piece.