Jazz Standards - says who?

K1969

Oh, come now, MG. You can't be so centered on soul jazz that you don't realize that all kinds of jazz artists will do all kinds of things with R&B tunes in addition to every other kind of tune. I'm not questioning your taste, but... doesn't it seem obvious that everything is "fair game" in terms of experimentation in jazz? I don't even have a list prepared to counter your apparent position, but it just seems like such a given. Even if we take into account the improvisation that occurs in R&B, a jazz artist isn't going to copy the solos note for note. Obviously, there are going to be many instrumental interpretations of tunes that originally had vocals. Am I not grasping your point?

Well, you're obviously right. The strong impression I've receved over the years is that few jazz musicians outside Soul Jazz are interested in playing this material. I guess from your response that Strozier isn't an isolated case.

MG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 15 "Sukiyaki" Kyu Sakamoto

June 22 "Sukiyaki" Kyu Sakamoto

June 29 "Sukiyaki" Kyu Sakamoto

What the heck was "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto?

First record I ever saw on Toshiba!

It was the theme song of the Sapporo Winter Olympics and, consequently, a hit all over the world.

MG

Memory wrong on this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyu_Sakamoto

MG

I think Bright Size Life is a standard.

uhhhh, other people would have to record it first. Lots of other people. As it stands right now, it's a classic. And there's a big difference there.

I was thinking the same thing. According to AMG, there are 3 other recordings of this tune besides Metheny's.

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Just the other day on the radio I heard Ronnie Laws' Almost There being played by a group that sounded like The Rebirth Brass Band of New Orleans.

It got me to thinking that maybe Almost There is a standard because it was such a big hit. Can't say how many other people have recorded it, though.

Interesting factoid: my in-law's methodist church apparently got a new hymnal. This past week, there was an alto saxophonist, a pianist, and a bassist. I wasn't there, but my father-in-law told me the pianist announced that the new hymnal that the church was using included a tune from one of her favorite composers, that they just couldn't wait to play "Come Sunday".

Unfortunately, he told me the song was called something like "Come Along" by Count Basie. I had to straighten him out, Father's Day and all...

Just the other day on the radio I heard Ronnie Laws' Almost There being played by a group that sounded like The Rebirth Brass Band of New Orleans.

It got me to thinking that maybe Almost There is a standard because it was such a big hit. Can't say how many other people have recorded it, though.

Do you mean "Always There"?

Don't know if you could call that a jazz standard per se, but there's been about a bajillion dance/house/acid-jazz/smooth jazz versions, Incognito's being perhaps the most famous.

I think Jazz Kat has a point, something can be a jam session standard without there being a lot of recordings. Can't think of a good jazz example but I can think of some rock 'n roll ones, e.g. "Gloria" got played at certain sorts of rock gigs just as much as "Louie Louie" but wasn't recorded as much or as big a hit. I do think it's a problem for jazz that there are (or may be) no recent standards or jazz standards (yes, I do understand and respect the dif). And yes, I am old fashioned enuff to care about tunes...

Do you mean "Always There"?

Should have nominated "Almost Good". ^_^