Lou Donaldson's best Cadet albums

The question is: Why isn't this stuff available here directly from Universal? :angry:

Sort of like saying, "I like cocaine. Why isn't the local pharmacy allowed to stock it? If they aren't allowed to sell it, I will get it from the people who do sell it."

These rare jazz recordings are like drugs to a lot of collectors. And the dealers - the Andorran reissue labels - who traffic in what is in fact stolen merchandise - give addicts a taste and have them hooked for life.

Edited by Dan Gould

The question is: Why isn't this stuff available here directly from Universal? :angry:

Sort of like saying, "I like cocaine. Why isn't the local pharmacy allowed to stock it? If they aren't allowed to sell it, I will get it from the people who do sell it."

you mean there is a law that forbids Universal to re-issue this?

you mean there is a law that forbids Universal to re-issue this?

I said it was "like saying" not exactly the same. The similarity of hardcore jazz fans jonesing for material like this, regardless of the source/legalities, to drug addicts jonesing for a fix was too appropriate to pass up.

Nevertheless, if you prefer, feel free to substitute "I like Model T Fords. Why doesn't the local dealer stock them? If they can't/won't sell them, then I will buy them from people who will."

In addition, you may want to consider that Lou is alive and kicking, so buying this from thieves is an even more egregious way of making sure an artist gets screwed.

Are you sure this isn't properly licensed? Where can one find out this stuff? It's important.

MG

Is there anyone who has asserted that these labels license any of the material they reissue? Is there any reason to assume they've made an exception here?

In addition, you may want to consider that Lou is alive and kicking, so buying this from thieves is an even more egregious way of making sure an artist gets screwed.

Are you sure this isn't properly licensed? Where can one find out this stuff? It's important.

MG

Is there anyone who has asserted that these labels license any of the material they reissue? Is there any reason to assume they've made an exception here?

Jazz Beat is a new label. Do you know that it's owned by the same people who don't properly license their material?

MG

i have at his bes on LP- this really clean copy of it: it is exceptionally good: its Blue note quality- i dont think his other cadet stuff is up to that....

I'd disagree with you there. I really enjoy ALL the Cadets.

MG

MG is right.

Signifyin' (e.g.) is really good.

Nevertheless, if you prefer, feel free to substitute "I like Model T Fords. Why doesn't the local dealer stock them? If they can't/won't sell them, then I will buy them from people who will."

and i didn't even know about the fifty year rule for cars

Thnking about it overnight, the one LD Cadet that is less effective than the others is "Rough house blues", arranged by Oliver Nelson. Not that it's bad but, as with "Lush life" Lou's style doesn't seem to click very well with band arrangements.

MG

Agree with you on Rough House Blues...but not Lush Life which I find to be gorgeous and Lou's tone on ballads is a pure joy.

Thnking about it overnight, the one LD Cadet that is less effective than the others is "Rough house blues", arranged by Oliver Nelson. Not that it's bad but, as with "Lush life" Lou's style doesn't seem to click very well with band arrangements.

MG

Agree with you on Rough House Blues...but not Lush Life which I find to be gorgeous and Lou's tone on ballads is a pure joy.

I like "Lush life" very much - but I don't think the setting was quite right for Lou.

MG

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, if Universal isn't issuing this stuff then it's fair game for the pirates.

If people feel guilty, they should mail a $5 check to Lou.

Guy

don't think Lou will get 5$ out of any of his albums sold...

MG

I like "Lush life" very much - but I don't think the setting was quite right for Lou.

MG

I think is was fine.