Lennie Tristano: his Life in Music, Eunmi Shim

don't know if this has been covered, but I bought and am reading Eunmi Shim's new book on Tristano; unlike, say, 98 percent of the books I read on jazz (academic or otherwise) I can highly recommend it; well written, carefully researched, intelligent analysis, pretty colors on the cover. Get it -

I second Allen's comments. The biography part is very likely to be definitive. The musical analysis is very thorough (perhaps a bit heavy for someone with no musical knowledge at all - but it reads like an accurate representation of what Tristano's music is about).

All in all, I think anyone interested in Tristano should get it.

F

PS BTW, I think I saw a copy of a Japanese CD reissue of Tristano's "Descent into the Maelstrom" go for more than $100 on eBay...

I did receive this a couple of weeks ago, and I think it's a great read and important documentation of the life and music of an underrated jazz innovator.

On "Descent":

Forum link

Gambit Spain has released the complete Confucius concert recently:

Live at the Confucius Restaurant 1955

Description:

"This Collection Includes the Complete Master Takes of the Lennie Tristano Quartet with Lee Konitz at the Confucius Restaurant’s Sing Song Room in New York. All of These Tracks were Recorded on the Night of June 11, 1955. We have Added a Studio Session that was Originally Issued on LP with the First Batch of Confucius Material, Combining Live and Studio Tracks on the Same Release."

Edited by jostber

Description:

"This Collection Includes the Complete Master Takes of the Lennie Tristano Quartet with Lee Konitz at the Confucius Restaurant’s Sing Song Room in New York. All of These Tracks were Recorded on the Night of June 11, 1955. We have Added a Studio Session that was Originally Issued on LP with the First Batch of Confucius Material, Combining Live and Studio Tracks on the Same Release."

No doubt booted right off the Mosaic set! :w

I did receive this a couple of weeks ago, and I think it's a great read and important documentation of the life and music of an underrated jazz innovator.

On "Descent":

Forum link

Description:

Do you know if they also copped my liner notes from the Mosaic set?

• 2 weeks later...

No, they didn't copy your notes and they probably didn't copy the Mosaic either, as it doesn't have any of the alternative takes that the Mosaic has. They have some generic interview snippets from Konitz where he mentions Tristano and Barry Ulanov's notes from "Tristano". They also have the studio tracks from "Tristano".

Product Description

This Collection Includes the Complete Master Takes of the Lennie Tristano Quartet with Lee Konitz at the Confucius Restaurant’s Sing Song Room in New York. All of These Tracks were Recorded on the Night of June 11, 1955. We have Added a Studio Session that was Originally Issued on LP with the First Batch of Confucius Material, Combining Live and Studio Tracks on the Same Release.

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Sweet and Lovely

2. Background Music

3. If I Had You

4. 317 E 32nd

5. These Foolish Things

6. 'S Wonderful

7. You Go to My Head

8. All the Things You Are

9. Lennie-Bird

10. My Melancholy Baby

Disc: 2

1. April

2. Pennies in Minor

3. Mean to Me

4. Confucius Blues

5. Ghost of a Chance

6. Whispering

7. There Will Never Be Another You

8. Donna Lee

9. East Thirty Second [*]

10. Line Up [*]

11. Turkish Mambo [*]

12. Requiem [*]

• 16 years later...

Just broke down and purchased a copy of this book on eBay last night, for only ~$20 with free shipping. Looking forward to it!

Edit: I love how I can find a 17-year old topic here on a very specific subject, and revive it again so easily!

Such a nice benefit of forum-based discussions.  Plus also having a board that hasn’t had the need to close/archive old posts like other higher-traffic forums (probably justifiably) have a need to do.

Edited by Rooster_Ties