Lionel Hampton & his All Stars 1956

mikeweil

c4765.jpg

How long have I been waiting for a complete reissue of this rare session:

Complete Jazztone Recordings

Lionel Hampton and His All-Stars

Featuring: Ray Copeland (tp), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Lucky Thompson (ts), Lionel Hampton (vb, marimba, p), Oscar Dennard (p), Oscar Pettiford (b), Gus Johnson (d)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 446

BAR CODE: 8427328604468

PRICE: 17.40 €

This CD compiles for the first time all the tracks recorded by this Lionel Hampton’s All-Star group in 1956. Originally produced by Jazztone Records, most of them appeared on a 12” LP (J-1238); the rest were released on a 10” (J-1040), and on a 7” EP (J-723). You will not only hear Hampton lead this group with his extraordinary dynamism and energy as a leader, and his phenomenal improvisational capacity as an instrumentalist (vibes, piano, marimba), but also shines in his role as a jazz composer of great feeling. Hampton is surrounded here by some established jazz masters such as tenor saxophonist Lucky Thompson, bassist Oscar Pettiford, trombonist Jimmy Cleveland, drummer Gus Johnson, and by two then-newcomers to the scene: pianist Oscar Dennard, and trumpeter Ray Copeland. The music is full of rhythmic and blowing excitement thanks to the talents of the jazzmen involved, and comes close to stomping in several places.

Tracklisting:

CD1:

1. Romeo’s Gone Now

2. Over The Rainbow

3. Dark Eyes

4. Line For Lyons

5. Raindeer

6. Summertime

7. Too Much

8. What’s Your Hurry

CD2:

1. When You’re Smiling

2. A Ghost Of A Chance

3. Loch Lomond

4. Look! Four Hands

5. Undecided

6. My Man

7. Deep Purple

8. Take The “A” Train

9. Lionel Choo-Choo

RECORDED New York City, 1956

They forgot to mention an unidentified vocal group on Take The A Train - sounds much like the Gordons.

The folks in Barcelona are the only ones who care for stuff like this, it seems. I'm glad they do.

Edited by mikeweil

yes, "the gordons", honi, george jr. and richard. one of my favourites. and so little output! i found nothing of them on the internet. on "take the a-train" no discography mentioned them. even not the original liner notes of the jazztone lp.

the "philology" "label" has the complete set for years in it´s "historical series".

here´s a good link for that session:

http://themenschmidt.de/oscar56.htm

keep boppin´

marcel

the "philology" "label" has the complete set for years in it´s "historical series".

Hmmm .... I know that site, but there's no mention of a Philology issue, nor on Noal Cohen's Lucky Thompson Discography.

If you have details on that issue, please forward it to them.

Yes! I am familiar with an LP full of music from this, very scratchy beat-up LP from a friend's dad - I guess he got it from someone who took it home from someone's party to whom someone else invited him and where he didn't know anyone or something... that's how beat-up it looked, the cover almost torn into pieces and falling apart etc...

It shall be great to have all of it in - hopefully! - decent to good sound quality!

Hmmm .... I know that site, but there's no mention of a Philology issue, nor on Noal Cohen's Lucky Thompson Discography.

If you have details on that issue, please forward it to them.

that´s why i wrote "label" in brackets. it´s on cd-r and not official. (like so many things from philology, the 86 volumes in the bird´s eyes series or the 36 volumes in the brownie´s eyes) but let us not talk about private issues and bootlegs....

keep boppin´

marcel

Yes! I am familiar with an LP full of music from this, very scratchy beat-up LP from a friend's dad - I guess he got it from someone who took it home from someone's party to whom someone else invited him and where he didn't know anyone or something... that's how beat-up it looked, the cover almost torn into pieces and falling apart etc...

It shall be great to have all of it in - hopefully! - decent to good sound quality!

it seems that i have the same lp (no it´s an ep) and called "besuch auf einem wolkenkratzer" but it looks exactly as you escribe yours!! (maybe from the same party?)

keep boppin´

marcel

Since this recorded in 1956, it's public domain in Europe now.

There was a French Musidisc CD, but I doubt they played royalties either .....

Anyway, I got it this morning - I waited so long for this one I didn't even try to resists, and it sounds okay. There was some denoising, but their source LPs must have been in good shape - the sound of this reissue is a bit more direct than the Musidisc CD.

That aside, the music is excellent! A rare opportunity to hear Hamp on marimba. All contribute good solos.

c4765.jpg

How long have I been waiting for a complete reissue of this rare session:

Complete Jazztone Recordings

Lionel Hampton and His All-Stars

Featuring: Ray Copeland (tp), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Lucky Thompson (ts), Lionel Hampton (vb, marimba, p), Oscar Dennard (p), Oscar Pettiford (b), Gus Johnson (d)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 446

BAR CODE: 8427328604468

PRICE: 17.40 €

This CD compiles for the first time all the tracks recorded by this Lionel Hampton’s All-Star group in 1956. Originally produced by Jazztone Records, most of them appeared on a 12” LP (J-1238); the rest were released on a 10” (J-1040), and on a 7” EP (J-723). You will not only hear Hampton lead this group with his extraordinary dynamism and energy as a leader, and his phenomenal improvisational capacity as an instrumentalist (vibes, piano, marimba), but also shines in his role as a jazz composer of great feeling. Hampton is surrounded here by some established jazz masters such as tenor saxophonist Lucky Thompson, bassist Oscar Pettiford, trombonist Jimmy Cleveland, drummer Gus Johnson, and by two then-newcomers to the scene: pianist Oscar Dennard, and trumpeter Ray Copeland. The music is full of rhythmic and blowing excitement thanks to the talents of the jazzmen involved, and comes close to stomping in several places.

Tracklisting:

CD1:

1. Romeo’s Gone Now

2. Over The Rainbow

3. Dark Eyes

4. Line For Lyons

5. Raindeer

6. Summertime

7. Too Much

8. What’s Your Hurry

CD2:

1. When You’re Smiling

2. A Ghost Of A Chance

3. Loch Lomond

4. Look! Four Hands

5. Undecided

6. My Man

7. Deep Purple

8. Take The “A” Train

9. Lionel Choo-Choo

RECORDED New York City, 1956

They forgot to mention an unidentified vocal group on Take The A Train - sounds much like the Gordons.

The folks in Barcelona are the only ones who care for stuff like this, it seems. I'm glad they do.

I have had the CD indicated below for a number of years. It has 10 tracks from this session.

Lionel Hampton - My Man - Excelsior EXL-2-5318

• 2 weeks later...