music with silence written into the score

Silence from Ornette Coleman's Fairfield Hall Concert.

Ornette Coleman In Europe, Vol. 2 (Freedom FLP 40103)

Ornette Coleman (as, tp, vln) David Izenzon (b) Charles Moffett (d)

"Fairfield Hall", Croydon, England, August 29, 1965

Falling Stars

Silence

Happy Fool

Untitled Ballad

Doughnuts

Art Ensemble of Chicago is the first one that pops to mind, especially on "People in Sorrow". Actually I'm giving it a spin and as I listen to it and it's hard to say where there is "silence" and where a sound is left to find it own conclusion. I have the feeling that trying to define "silence" is right up there with trying to define what music is.

Edited by (BB)

After the English group the Planets released a track called "A One Minute Silence," they were sued by Cage's estate for copyright infringement. The group's leader, Mike Batt, defended the piece by saying, “Mine is a much better silent piece anyway. I was able to say in one minute what took Cage four minutes and 33 seconds.”

After the English group the Planets released a track called "A One Minute Silence," they were sued by Cage's estate for copyright infringement. The group's leader, Mike Batt, defended the piece by saying, “Mine is a much better silent piece anyway. I was able to say in one minute what took Cage four minutes and 33 seconds.”

splendid post.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I wrote hundreds of compositions based on total silence. Never found a producer. And they were surely better then all the BS I posted here.

who among us will start a silent thread of nonposts?

It already exists, I post in it all the time.

Sadly these don't show up in your post count.

It would be interesting to see the number of "posts typed but not sent". :ph34r:

Another modern classical composer who writes a lot of silences is Salvatore Sciarrino.

Ben Johnston's String Quartet #3 has a short "silent movement". It's on the New World recording. I listened before reading the liner notes, and it freaked me out.