Recommendations on used vinyl stores in Kansas City?

dsockel

Pretty slim pickins for vinyl in KC these days.

There's a relatively new(er) place on 39th Street, just about 5 or 6 blocks east of State Line (address might be in the 900 block of west 39th St.). I forget the name exactly - it's in an old two-story house on the north side of the street.

There's also a place or two out in Johnson County (on the Kansas side), or so I've heard. Not sure if they're still open. Others here can report back with more details than I'm able to provide.

Slim pickins for vinyl, and used CDs too. There's a place in Lawrence KS (about an hour west of KC), that's pretty good (relatively speaking) -- Love Garden, if I'm remembering the name right.

The best place in KC, Recycle Sounds, closed up a couple years ago -- long, long story.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Pretty slim pickins for vinyl in KC these days.

There's a relatively new(er) place on 39th Street, just about 5 or 6 blocks east of State Line (address might be in the 900 block of west 39th St.). I forget the name exactly - it's in an old two-story house on the north side of the street.

There's also a place or two out in Johnson County (on the Kansas side), or so I've heard. Not sure if they're still open. Others here can report back with more details than I'm able to provide.

Slim pickins for vinyl, and used CDs too. There's a place in Lawrence KS (about an hour west of KC), that's pretty good (relatively speaking) -- Love Garden, if I'm remembering the name right.

The best place in KC, Recycle Sounds, closed up a couple years ago -- long, long story.

Rooster is being nice/generous. The town sucks for vinyl. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Love Garden in Lawrence is good, but more for pop/rock/punk than jazz. I love the place and they have a good CD selection, both new and used. But again, slim pickings on jazz. Now if you want some obscure soul/funk compilation, it is a great place.

Sorry to break the news. I would focus your KC visit on BBQ instead :excited:

Since the Music Exchange and Recyled Sounds closed last year, it's no fun hunting for vinyl in KC anymore.

The three Half Price Books stores (Westport, Overland Park and Olathe) and the place on 39th (it's called Zebedee's) are essentially all we've got left, and that ain't much.

It's a drag.

Nowadays I have to get my vinyl fix by leaving town.

Just hop a freight into Lawrence and hit Love Garden, in between 8th and 9th on Massachussetts Avenue.

As I mentioned above, I really like this place. Their used jazz selection typically contains no gems, but they have some interesting new jazz vinyl. They have a great selection of rock (classic, alternative, punk, etc.) vinyl, including a nice 45 selection (new stuff mostly). Last time I was there I picked up a couple great funk compilations on CD. Very eclectic place and a great place to visit so long as your tastes extend beyond jazz.

Only two years ago Kansas City had two great used vinyl stores. The Music Exchange, with over 1 million vinyl albums, closed its doors, was going to reopen in a warehouse area, but the owner died by choking to death on his food while in the warehouse alone one night. The million+ records are still apparently stored in the warehouse, with the widow unsure of what to do with them, from what I have heard.

Anyone interested in buying an instant great used vinyl store?

Recycled Sounds was not as big but was of very high quality. The owner, Ann Winter, decided that she was tired of running the store and took an office job downtown. She sold off her inventory in a blow out sale and vacated the space.

Now, Love Garden in Lawrence has the largest selection of used vinyl within easy driving distance. Zebedee's and Vinyl Renaissance are worth checking out, though. Both have many vinyl gems, depending on what you are looking for, and moderately large vinyl collections.

The other Johnson County store, Need More Discs (love the name) has very little vinyl, but has a nice selection of jazz CDs. It is near 75th St. and Nieman Road, quite close to Vinyl Renaissance.

There is a flea market vendor in the Waldo flea market, just east of 75th and Wornall, with a surprising selection of jazz vinyl and CDs, together with 8 track tapes and cassettes in a variety of genres.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Just hop a freight into Lawrence and hit Love Garden, in between 8th and 9th on Massachussetts Avenue.

As I mentioned above, I really like this place. Their used jazz selection typically contains no gems, but they have some interesting new jazz vinyl. They have a great selection of rock (classic, alternative, punk, etc.) vinyl, including a nice 45 selection (new stuff mostly). Last time I was there I picked up a couple great funk compilations on CD. Very eclectic place and a great place to visit so long as your tastes extend beyond jazz.

Yeah, rarely does good shit get past the new arrivals racks. Long ago I picked up a few West 63rd BNs for under $20 apiece, though I suspect their pricing scheme is a bit different now.