getting married. . . wedding music ideas?

denae847

I'm finally having a wedding in a few months and I am trying to come up with the music that I want played. I read the topic on wedding music already, but that wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped, because I really want to stick with the theme of my wedding. I am having a live band who are awesome and can see what direction I want to take with the music, so now, I just need to decide on what I want to have played. There will be lots of Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Billie Holiday, and Duke Ellington.

So . . . any suggestions?

Are you playing records?

I say this because you say "lots of Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Billie Holiday, and Duke Ellington".

Three of the four do not have much if anything in the way of compostions, and one doesn't quite fit your 20s-40s theme, as she was not born until 1938. That aside, I doubt their is a wedding band around that can't play the tune she is best known for.

Doesn't sound like you're going for anything original, so just let the band do it's thing. If they are as awesome as you think, I doubt they will have much of a problem keeping folks entertained.

If you dont think the band is up to the challenge, I'd say dump them and hire Organissimo.

When you hire them make sure you sign up for the Joe Gloss # 22 special. That will give you Joe and his twin-necked Steve Vai edition banez complete with lamp shade over Randy's head while doing a 28 minute drum solo and Jim Alfredson in bare feet instead of white socks.

Edited by catesta

If you dont think the band is up to the challenge, I'd say dump them and hire Organissimo.

When you hire them make sure you sign up for the Joe Gloss # 22 special. That will give you Joe and his twin-necked Steve Vai edition Ibanez complete with lamp shade over Randy's head while doing a 28 minute drum solo and Jim Alfredson in bare feet instead of white socks.

You really know how to sell a band. :rsmile:

Not to be a wet blanket, but I have been at wedding receptions of jazz fans who had the band play semi-obscure hard bop classics, and the crowd was oblivious to the music. The crowd seemed mostly to regard those jazz songs as a break from the dancing they wanted to do, and chattered and drank throughout them without any regard to the music. I think it may be best to forget jazz at a wedding. Your expectations for how it will be received will be disappointed.

When you hire them make sure you sign up for the Joe Gloss # 22 special. That will give you Joe and his twin-necked Steve Vai edition Ibanez complete with lamp shade over Randy's head while doing a 28 minute drum solo and Jim Alfredson in bare feet instead of white socks.

You really know how to sell a band. :rsmile:

:g

I must concur.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I have been at wedding receptions of jazz fans who had the band play semi-obscure hard bop classics, and the crowd was oblivious to the music. The crowd seemed mostly to regard those jazz songs as a break from the dancing they wanted to do, and chattered and drank throughout them without any regard to the music. I think it may be best to forget jazz at a wedding. Your expectations for how it will be received will be disappointed.

I would say unless the music is danceable swing, in which case people will know that that is teh dancing to be had, and will dance. Semi-obscure hard bop is background at a wedding. :-)

Well, there won't be any dancing at the wedding. We want to have live music to entertain our guests as they are eating and chatting and what not. If they want to dance, I guess that is up to them, but we are not planning on doing any dancing.

The band is a local jazz band, and they have an awesome singer. I just wanted some specific song suggestions. Preferably ones with the underlying theme of love. :)

Well, here are a few songs Billie Holliday really made her own (staying away from the most melancholy ones):

Fine and Mellow

I'll Get By (As Long as I Have You)

Lover Man

My Man (Mon Homme)

You Go to My Head

Love Me or Leave Me

I Thought About You

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm

And of course to keep the party rocking, you can't miss with Gimme a Pigfoot (and a Bottle of Beer).

Well, there won't be any dancing at the wedding. We want to have live music to entertain our guests as they are eating and chatting and what not. If they want to dance, I guess that is up to them, but we are not planning on doing any dancing.

The band is a local jazz band, and they have an awesome singer. I just wanted some specific song suggestions. Preferably ones with the underlying theme of love. :)

NO DANCING!!!!

So, you are obviously not marrying Ren McCormick.

That must be the case, 'cause he would never stand for no dancing.

They tried to hold him back once, it was a hard fight, but in the end he won. And you know what he said?

"Hey Hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!"

NO DANCING!!!!

So, you are obviously not marrying Ren McCormick.

That must be the case, 'cause he would never stand for no dancing.

They tried to hold him back once, it was a hard fight, but in the end he won. And you know what he said?

"Hey Hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!"

:rfr

I have to agree with this.

Though I was at a wedding down in New Orleans a few years ago, where a pretty tight band was playing mostly "wedding music" instrumentals to keep the crowd entertained. I could tell they were better than that, and so during a lull I asked them with a wink if they knew any Monk... which caused them to break into 'In Walked Bud." :g