Epic France reissues

brownie

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Lon the Suites is also on the old Columbia CD Ellington Suites so why duplicate? For the cover? If they would issue the Nutcracker Suite as well seperately I would be tempted to do so but now.......

Just because. I dislike the sound on the US cd enough to risk rebuying, and I'm not crazy about the Nutcracker and don't play it often at all. I don't have A Drum is a Woman in any cd format except a cdr from my lp. . . . Makes sense to me to buy these.

It's my guess these Jazz Originals use the same remasterings as the US ones (beside the newly remastered ones of course) so don't expect anything different. You do get a nice front cover which is worth something as well. The Drum album is a different matter. I didn't have that one so I took that one too (regardless of the remastering).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered the A Drum is a Woman and the Suites from amazon.fr

The 'Drum Is a Woman' CD is out now. It is a straight reissue of the previous 'Jazz Originals' series.

Strangely, it's not available through amazon anymore, except for 1 copy at the amazon.fr marketplace. Not available at cduniverse, worldsrecords or any other of my usual online sellers.

OK, now I found it at FNAC.fr

What kind of distribution is this? :mellow:

Edited by EKE BBB

Dusty Groove has it now too, or did have it, something like that.

I got it from France a while back and have really been enjoying it.

I'd love to have a domestic reissue, expanded (at one time it was going to be a two cd set) but the word from Cuscuna (via Belden) is: not planned at this time.

Why not? 'Drum Is a Woman' was recorded 50 years ago! :blink:

But.... exactly at the same time of the "official" reissue? <_<

Remember their robbery with the Diz&Bird disc on Uptown? Not identical cases, as that was "fresh" material, but... that synchronization is highly suspicious, to say the least!

Why not? 'Drum Is a Woman' was recorded 50 years ago! :blink:

But.... exactly at the same time of the "official" reissue? <_<

Pretty sure the Jazz Track label had no idea that it would come out at the same time on Epic/Columbia France.

The Diz&Bird Uptown robbery was a different matter since the Uptown disc was first released a while back, not fifty years ago!

Jazz Messengers is offering "Drum Is A Woman" on a Jazz Track label (?). Is Definitive/Absolute emporium already ripping off the Epic France reissue?

:o

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/ProductInfo.asp?ref=117191

It should however be noted that the Jazz Track version has a bonus track, Pomegranate, from 7 March 1957. It's one of Duke's many non-album tracks from the 1956-62 Columbia period, and was only released many years later on a French CBS set.

The "Andorrans" seem to start a new label every month. Now it's Jazz Track; other very recent labels include Jazz Collectors, Fine And Mellow and Jazz Beat.

On the Jazz Beat label we also have The Complete Ellington Indigos. In addition to the original album there are eight bonus tracks, two non-album tracks and six alternate takes, expanding the CD to 79 miniutes. This also just came out in in the Jazz Originals series, but without the bonus tracks.

117193.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if we soon would see a Such Sweet Thunder release from them, but with the correct take of Up And Down, Up And Down (Schaap managed to include the wrong take on the official CD).

Edited by Swinging Swede