Epic France reissues

brownie

Sony BMG France has reissued several albums from the Epic jazz catalogue on its 'Jazz Originals' series. The CDs are planned for release at the end of this month.

Those I have seen so far include:

51nYYUWNCiL._AA240_.jpg51FNkmTVZ+L._AA240_.jpg

51sTzw-KzNL._AA240_.jpg4154sYr-hEL._AA240_.jpg

There might be others.

The Sony BMG website has nothing so far on these releases.

All CDs seen so far come with informative booklets. Producers have gone to the original master tapes. Additional material has been added when available.

Mastering was taken care by La Source Mastering who did a very good job judging from the CDs I have purchased.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two Dave Bailey's are available as a Spanish twofer CD, the Pony was on Koch and Collectables, The Rouse on SONY Masterworks with a half album added that was on a compilation. Nothing I need to buy now.

Let's see how they continue.

If the Pony includes bonus material ..... there was an AT of one track, and a some Xmas tune from the same sessions, then I'd go for it.

Just saw at amazon.fr. they included Lanyop AT, but not Rudolph the Rednose reindeer - don't they know how to do proper discographical research?

Agree, pretty frustrating because otherwise they're doing a great job with the reissues I have seen (and heard).

And they would have had no problem including this Rudolph on the CD. The reissue clocks in at 54m40s!

Plus the prices for these reissues look right :tup

Just saw at amazon.fr. they included Lanyop AT, but not Rudolph the Rednose reindeer - don't they know how to do proper discographical research?

Agree, pretty frustrating because otherwise they're doing a great job with the reissues I have seen (and heard).

And they would have had no problem including this Rudolph on the CD. The reissue clocks in at 54m40s!

I recommend it anyway - it's personnel is a virtual who's who of hardbop sax, a real sax fiesta!

From JPC:

Dave Bailey - Two feet in the gutter

The Brecker Brothers - Don't stop the music *

Johnny Coles - The warm sound

Duke Ellington - A drum is a woman

Duke Ellington - Peer gynt (suites no1 e 2)

Duke Ellington - Unknown session

Erroll Garner - Encores in hi-fi

Johnny Hodges - Three shades of blue *

Lou Levy - A most musical fella *

Henry Mancini - Combo ! *

Pony Poindexter - Pony''s express

Charlie Rouse - Yeah !

This listing has the One Foot in the Gutter missing .....

Those marked * are RCA albums - a mixed SONY/BMG venture.

Nothing that hasn't been available in some form, but let's see - it's better than nothing.

From JPC:

Dave Bailey - Two feet in the gutter

The Brecker Brothers - Don't stop the music *

Johnny Coles - The warm sound

Duke Ellington - A drum is a woman

Duke Ellington - Peer gynt (suites no1 e 2)

Duke Ellington - Unknown session

Erroll Garner - Encores in hi-fi

Johnny Hodges - Three shades of blue *

Lou Levy - A most musical fella *

Henry Mancini - Combo ! *

Pony Poindexter - Pony''s express

Charlie Rouse - Yeah !

This listing has the One Foot in the Gutter missing .....

Those marked * are RCA albums - a mixed SONY/BMG venture.

Nothing that hasn't been available in some form, but let's see - it's better than nothing.

That list reads like an SAT reasoning question: "Which two of these reissues dont' belong with the other ten?" HENRY MANCINI?!? THE BRECKER BROTHERS?!?. When, for instance, Woody Shaw still has Columbia albums sitting in the can (except for the Mosaic).

Yes, at 6.99 Euro or £4.88, they're pretty nicely priced.

MG

what does this one from Lonehill contain, in addition to the two Gutter albums?

61K204KT0BL._SS500_.jpg

Disque : 1

1. Slop Jah

2. Little Old Mongoose

3. Evad Smurd

4. Blues for J.P.

5. One Foot in the Gutter

6. Well You Needn't

7. Sandu

Disque : 2

1. Brownie Speaks

2. Comin' Home Baby

3. Two Feet in the Gutter

4. Shiny Stockings

5. Lady Iris B

6. Coffee Walk

7. Reaching Out [*]

8. Our Miss Brooks [*]

9. One for Elena [*]

EU Amazon prices include tax. For orders to destinations outside the EU tax is deducted.

When I ordered from UK Amazon (earlier this week) 17.5 percent VAT was added during the check-out process. I was surprised; thought they had to include VAT from the start.

That's strange, EU Amazon prices always included VAT before check-out - I just remembered that during the check-out process prices were adjusted to include the VAT percentage of the EU country the customer lives in. Maybe they've changed it and just add VAT at the end.

Edited by J.A.W.

EU Amazon prices include tax. For orders to destinations outside the EU tax is deducted.

When I ordered from UK Amazon (earlier this week) 17.5 percent VAT was added during the check-out process. I was surprised; thought they had to include VAT from the start.

That's strange, EU Amazon prices always included VAT before check-out - I just remembered that during the check-out process prices were adjusted to include the VAT percentage of the EU country the customer lives in. Maybe they've changed it and just add VAT at the end.

No, you're right! I checked my order and the VAT was not added, only adjusted during check-out. I was confused because in the order summary each item was listed with final VAT included, but the items subtotal just below was without VAT. Except from books, Sweden has the highest VAT rate in the EU...

Edited by Daniel A

The three last tracks from that Lonehill reissue are from the Bailey 'Reaching Out' session (with Frank Haynes, Grant Green, etc...) that was originally recorded for Jazztime.

Typical Lonehill fill-ins...

It also contains the Gettin' into Somethin' LP and the bonus track from the One foot session "Brownie Speaks" hwich is also on the new Sony/BMG France issue (but not on all the other issues sofar).

Thanks for clearing that. I have the 1201 (or is it 2101? whaterver, it's that DA Music/Black Lion successor label) version of "Reaching Out", with all the bonus tracks, but I haven't got it with me... seems "Gettin' into Somethin'" I don't have. I have one more though, that's been released under several others' name, I think. Mine is under Flanagan's and on Prevue and OMITS the bonus track that were part of another reissue (I think on Black Lion under KD's name). Anyway, Frank Haynes is there, too, and doing great!

Is "Gettin' into Somethin'" available? If not, Lonehill might be my way of choice - though maybe not, as I always enjoyed Sony/Legacy reissues a lot soundwise, and I'm sure these will sound good, too! (Koch even though they had that HD stuff going on, always kind of left me indifferent, but then I own only five or six Koch CDs.)

The three last tracks from that Lonehill reissue are from the Bailey 'Reaching Out' session (with Frank Haynes, Grant Green, etc...) that was originally recorded for Jazztime.

Typical Lonehill fill-ins...

It also contains the Gettin' into Somethin' LP and the bonus track from the One foot session "Brownie Speaks" hwich is also on the new Sony/BMG France issue (but not on all the other issues sofar).

Thanks for clearing that. I have the 1201 (or is it 2101? whaterver, it's that DA Music/Black Lion successor label) version of "Reaching Out", with all the bonus tracks, but I haven't got it with me... seems "Gettin' into Somethin'" I don't have. I have one more though, that's been released under several others' name, I think. Mine is under Flanagan's and on Prevue and OMITS the bonus track that were part of another reissue (I think on Black Lion under KD's name). Anyway, Frank Haynes is there, too, and doing great!

Is "Gettin' into Somethin'" available? If not, Lonehill might be my way of choice - though maybe not, as I always enjoyed Sony/Legacy reissues a lot soundwise, and I'm sure these will sound good, too! (Koch even though they had that HD stuff going on, always kind of left me indifferent, but then I own only five or six Koch CDs.)

Gettin' into Somethin' is only available on the Lonehill 2CD-set. It was available on LP a while ago, but as far as I know that's now OOP.

Edited by J.A.W.