Drug References on the Lawrence Welk Show

he had some fine musicians. i remember trumpeter george thow, pete fountain, violinist dick kessner and several others.

Trumpeter Lyn Biviano comes to mind.

No way, Biviano? He didn't gig with LW, did he? C'mon you're joshing, ain't you?

plus public tv ran welk reruns in prime time saturday nights for 25 or 30 years, and may still be.

Yep. Watched it last night. I gotta get my Tom Netherton fix.

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!

MG

They show it around here too, but I wouldn't be caught dead watching it. :P

Edited by MoGrubb

plus public tv ran welk reruns in prime time saturday nights for 25 or 30 years, and may still be.

Yep. Watched it last night. I gotta get my Tom Netherton fix.

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!

MG

I am serious. And no, Bob Ralston and his Thomas can go stuff it. Gimme some Jerry Burke on the Hammond!!!

See previous post.

MG

he had some fine musicians. i remember trumpeter george thow, pete fountain, violinist dick kessner and several others.

Trumpeter Lyn Biviano comes to mind.

No way, Biviano? He didn't gig with LW, did he? C'mon you're joshing, ain't you?

Whilst in Canada I caught a Welk tribute show on one of the channels (as one does on a slow Sunday afternoon) and there was a (very short) segment on jazz musicians who had worked with him. Biviano's name came up, at which point I woke out of my coma. :)

Blimey, I wasn't dreaming. According to wikipedia he was Welk's musical director, no less ! :o

"Lin Biviano (born ) is a jazz trumpet player. He is noted for his extreme power, especially in the upper register, and his distinctive fast vibrato. His style is similar to that of the late Chet Ferretti, who was his biggest influence. He has performed and/or recorded with such musicians as Woody Herman, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, Glenn Miller, Jimmy Dorsey, Harry James, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bill Chase, mostly playing lead trumpet. He has served as musical director for the Lawrence Welk orchestra since the 1980s. From 1974-1976 he led his own big band; they toured the East Coast and recorded a demo but were unable to secure a record contract. In the mid-1960s he attended Berklee School of Music (now Berklee College of Music), and in the 1980s he was asked to return as a teacher; as of 2007 he is still on the faculty, teaching mainly private lessons and ensembles."

He was the darling of his class at Berklee. Being only 18 yo was the bull in the china shop, yet highly respected. He later worked with a friend of mine on Ringling Bro. B&B, who happened to be musical director. The stint with the circus was less than stellar, which surprised me. He was probably just going through a rough period in his life; I think it was back in the 80s, maybe early 90s.

george cates did some fine arrangements, particularly film music, and show music, and operetta medleys.

he could have easily made a career on the 'pops' circuit.

He did a nice exotica album for the Dot label called "Polynesian Paradise." I think this is the only Lawrence Welk related music in my collection! Not counting the video that I posted ;)