Dumbledore is gay

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Who cares what Dumbledore was sexually? It doesn't have to be homosexual. Fill in the blank-fetishist, voyeur, sadist, masochist, beastiality, etc., you name it, who cares?!?

I know nothing about this character, nor do I care what his sexual orientation might be, but I trust you don't mean to equate homosexuality with fetishism, voyeurism, sadism, masochism and beasteality, etc. ??

... Who cares what Dumbledore was sexually? It doesn't have to be homosexual. Fill in the blank-fetishist, voyeur, sadist, masochist, beastiality, etc., you name it, who cares?!?

I know nothing about this character, nor do I care what his sexual orientation might be, but I trust you don't mean to equate homosexuality with fetishism, voyeurism, sadism, masochism and beasteality, etc. ??

Baiting the Christian? ;)^_^

No, I don't equate them. All I am saying is that Dumbledore's sexuality has no bearing whatsoever on the story. (Yes, I have read all of the books.) Everyone is getting themselves into such a twist because homosexuality is such a hot button topic. Rowling is introducing the world to Dumbledore as a homosexual when it is not evident in the book nor is it even remotely necessary that he be a homosexual for the telling of the story. It wouldn't have mattered whether she introduced him as a homosexual, a fetishist, a voyeur, etc., etc. because they would all be equally unnecessary as one of Dumbledore's characteristics and none of them would have any bearing on the story. (I'm curious as to what the reaction would have been if she were to have saddled him with any sexual label other than homosexuality. )

For example, an important characteristic for Harry is that he be brave, even in the face of doubt and fear. If he did not possess this characteristic, the story line would not advance and would fail. It's a necessary part of the story that he be brave. An important characteristic of Ron and Hermione is that they be loyal friends because the story could not advance without it. It is necessary for the story that they be loyal. The story line with Dumbledore is that he became best friends with this other character. They both were very gifted and talented and eventually one chose to use his talents for good and the other for evil. They were very close friends after which they were totally seperated amidst family tragedy and until the time Dumbledore eventually attacked and defeated the other character for his evil misdeeds. Dumbledore apparently held back and hesitated on taking action over a period 5 years worth of misdeeds before ultimately acting against his best friend. It is such a small part of the story and never did I ever get the impression of any kind of sexual relationship (or desire for one) when reading that small portion of the book. While I would have to concede that him having a homosexual attraction to the other character is ONE possible explanation for Dumbledore's behavior in relation to that character (though it is not apparent in the book), the story would not collapse, stop moving or not make sense if he were anything other than a homosexual. It was not a necessary factor in the story as there were any number of other explanations that would serve as the basis for Dumbledore's (in)actions and behavior. That Rowling would introduce this little tidbit after the fact when it is not apparent in the book is incredibly disingenuous and reeks of some kind of agenda. (See Big Al's post #11)

Edited by mikelz777

Mike, Rowling invented this character. In her mind, he was gay, and that was part of his motivations. The fact that she imagined him this way was not, as you say, crucial to the telling of the story. AND THAT'S WHY SHE DIDN'T PUT IT IN THE STORY. The fact that she talks about it now does not change the story. So what's the big deal? You say "Everyone is getting themselves into such a twist because homosexuality is such a hot button topic." But not everyone is getting themselves into a twist. You are, for some reason. It doesn't bother me at all.

You complained earlier that her talking about this was "sexualizing" the story. But the story is already "sexualized"--it's about human beings, who are sexual. The burgeoning sexuality of Harry and co. is a strong theme. If it had been revealed that, in Rowling's imagining of the character's backstory, Dumbledore had had an affair with a woman at some point, thus unambiguously revealing his heterosexuality, no one would have lifted an eyebrow. I suspect that discomfort with sexuality--not homophobia, just discomfort with the evocation of sexual desires beyond what is typically referenced in mainstream "vanilla" literature--is at the root of the controversy this seems to have provoked here.

I think Rowling, rather than being disingenuous, was being honest. And as I said earlier, her agenda was apparently to plead for tolerance and the questioning of authority. That's a great agenda. More people should have that agenda.

Baiting the Christian? ;)^_^

No, I don't equate them. All I am saying is that Dumbledore's sexuality has no bearing whatsoever on the story.

I didn't think you were, but it could have been read like that. :tup

Frankly, it doesn't seem like something that should matter one way or the other. But, I haven't followed the story in any detail, so .... :w

Hey, if it's consensual, what's the problem with fetishism, voyeurism, sadism or masochism? (Bestiality is different since animals can't really give their consent.) In any case I would "equate" homosexuality and heterosexuality with all those things and more besides. It's all desire, and who chooses that?