Blindfold test #2 Discussion

Tom in RI

Boy do I feel inadequate (and my wife calls me Speedy, too). I am in the dark on most of these. #1 must be a more mature artist due to the leisurely way the song unfolds. #2 features Joe Williams but no clue as to the others. #3 got that 60's looking to crossover feel, didn't get into it. #4 the tenor has listened to the 50's crowd pleasing RnB tenor style (maybe he helped create it?), don't know who it is but I liked it much more than #3. #5 of the two saxophones the 1st put me in mind of Eddie Chamblee although I don't think its him. No ideas on the second. #7 well I got a song title at least, Billie's Bounce. #8 another song title, I think it's the old Buddy Johnson classic, Since I Fell For You. Lou Donaldson maybe? I dug the guitar part best on this. #9 no clue, but it at least gives me the chance to use one of my favorite adjectives, lugubrious, for the tenor exposition. #10, sounds like Ralph Moore on tenor, I liked this a lot. #11 Cedar Walton? another winner who ever it is. #13 am I going to the well once too often, sounds like Ralph Moore again, I think the pianist is the leader on this. Dan, thanks for the chance to participate.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't get any further than these comments, so I might as well post them:

Track 1: Ramsey Lewis - I shouted after the first chords. Ramsey used these chords on a rendition in his 1970's album "Upendo Ni Pamoja" it is Percy Mayfield's "Please Send Me Someone To Love", of course. But damn, I don't know the Three Sounds that well .... :g

Track 2: I thought of Joe Williams first, but this isn't quite his timbre, but it has his good spirits. I'd like to hear more of that album. Which is to say, I don't know who it is ...

Track 3: The pianist again reminded me of Ramsey Lewis, but there were quite a lot of cats playing in that vein in the 1960's. Drummer is typical for what Eldee Young and these guys played. But I have no idea who the alto player is.

Track 4: "Watermelon Man", hip little version. Personal take on a famliar tune, all of the players sound familiar, but I won't risk dropping any names. Not spectacular, but nice to listen to, I'm curious who that tenor player is.

Track 5. That has a little touch of Ellingtonia in the horns. One of those big-toned bassist like George Duvivier, but he wouldn't walk straight. I bet my left little finger the drummer is Kenny Clarke, it's his snare sound of the mid-1950's before he left for Paris, and his fills. Is that a Savoy session? Then it could be Wendell Marshall. Frank Wess playing the first alto solo? Not sure about the other two.

Track 6: Is that "Wee Dot" or what was the name of that tune? Very nice fluent tenor sound, I have something of this cat, *~$%&*##!!! Don't know enough trombone players for a serious guess, but I sure like the relaxed, fluid way they play at that tempo. A wild guess would be a late 1970's/early 1980's Cedar Walton or Barry Harris session with Slide Hampton ...

Track 7: "Ornithology". Same relaxation, great swing. Hey they swing like mad! Again I don't dare guess.

Track 8: Don Patterson! was my first thought - he used that registration to great effect. But of all the alto cats he played with, noone fits. And the accompaniment isn't like Don's and if it was one of his, he would have played a solo. It's not him. The guitar is one of those Prestige organ session guys. Oh, a live recording - I'll pass on to the next one ... :wacko:

Track 9: Very beautiful!!! I'll play that track often. Again, no idea ... :rolleyes:

Track 10: Very personal alto sound. Very wide vibrato. Excellent players again, but I hate that bass pickup sound. Nice tune.

Track 11: Nice version of "Footprints". Like the way the pianist takes his time. I think I've heard this guy, but again ...

Track 12: Groove Holmes?

Track 13: A great choice for closers. "Lonely Avenue", but a little blusier than usual. I know that piano player! But again ...

Okay, Dan has given us a lesson in lesser known "Mainstream" (in the better sense of the word" players. I'd guess the theme was musicians from Chicago and/or Detroit. There's still so much good music to check out ... and it was all very soulful and bluesy, makes a nice listen from beginning to end. Would be an excellent entertaining jazz radio program. I'll spin that one quite often!

Thanks a lot, I certainly faired better on the first test, and if it's going on that way, we'll all be humbled.

Had to edit some typos ...

Edited by mikeweil

Well here goes...

1) Gene Harris doing Brother Ray's "What Would I Do Without You"? Also bears a little resemblance to "Come Back Baby" I'll go with my original guess though. Can I get an amen!

2) All I could think of was Professor Longhair meets Joe Williams on this one? Nice stuff. "I Rather Drink Muddy Water"

3) King Curtis? Stand By Me? Love that thumping bassline! Great party music! Your dead if your not tapping your toes to this one!

4) Watermelon Man. Nice reading. Seems like a fairly modern take of this old warhorse. Don't recognize any of the players.

5) My first thoughts are Gene Ammons or LockJaw Davis. There's a lot of reverb on that horn which brother Gene had an affinity for. Hence the "Big Sound", I'll vote for Gene.

6) I should know this one! However I'm clueless. Is that Bill Watrous on Trombone?

7) I hear Nat Adderly and Stanley T. However I could be wrong! B)

Love the piano quote of "Sleigh Ride?" just before the 5:30 mark.

8) "Since I Fell For You" Great version, I need this!!!! Shirley Scott, Stanley T, and George Benson all come to mind, however I honestly have no idea. The guitar is a little too restrained to be George.

9) Another one I should know. Beautiful playing throughout. It's kind of out of character when compared to the rest compilation due to it's introspective nature. "Watch What Happens" (Michelle Legrand) ala Stanley T.?

10) This one has that "Super Band" feel. Gene, Stanley, and crew?

11) "Footprints" Sounds like more modern players (not my strong suit). I like the take on this very much.

12) Jimmy Smith and Oliver Nelson come to mind on this one. Very much a guess though.

13) Reminds me very much of the old blues classic "Early In the Morning". I hear a little Ray Brown on this one.

Thanks to Dan for putting out this fine compilation. Also, thanks to Jim R. for being kind enough to burn me a copy.

SS,

I'll burn one tonite and re-mail first thing tomorrow. Seems like there's one that gets cracked in every big mailing... :angry:

Thanks Dan. If you're too busy, don't worry. It's not a problem for me to watch from the sidelines. I really hate to make this thing too much work for whoever's nice enough to host it. Thanks. :D

Allllriiiiiight! This is a super-sweet compilation, Dan! :bwallace: I flipped through the tracks quickly, now I'm back for a detailed listen.

1. Reverse psychology made me NOT want to pick Gene Harris for the first track of the G.H. Fanatic's BF test, but I can't come up with anyone. The trick here is, which record? The REALLY audible crowd and the slightly out of tune piano make me think it's from the Live at the Lighthouse record, as opposed to It Club fare (in-tune and quiet); but I also feel like remember the Lighthouse record being "slicker," with a fair amount of organ. Don't know the name of the song. Love the blues. Love the end.

2. Big crowd. Another live performance. Johnny B Goode opening, with a little bit of "Ray's Rock House" thrown in. I have absolutely no idea who this is; could it be Ray Charles? Definitely not, upon hearing the vocals! Muddy Water...is it Joe Williams?

3. Stand by me chord changes. Damn, Dan--you're stumping my ass on this CD! If Jackie McLean played on the chitlin' circuit, this is what it would sound like. I can't even begin to guess who's playing on this cut.

4. Watermelon man. Well, it's not Herbie, so it's either Mongo or Quincy's version. It doesn't sound like enough percussion to be Mongo, and the sax (nice tone!) sounds like someone Quincy's had soloing on his big band records, so I'm going to have to go with Quincy. I completely dig the elastic time signature. But is it a big enough group for Quincy? Did Q ever record with a combo? The open fourths in the upper register of the piano sound almost like Oscar Peterson on quaaludes.

5. Artificial 'verb or recorded somewhere other than Rudy's, that's for sure! Sounds like Leroy Vinnegar playing bass...definitely west coasting...or maybe Ray Brown? Wait. Could this be Art Pepper meets the band (or the octet, or the rhythm section, or whatever that record is)?

6. Doc Sevrinson and the tonight show band! Seriously, trombone in the mix with electric bass narrows the field. Could it be so late as to be a Watrous record? Doubt J.J. recorded with a group like this. And as I get further into it, I'm not even sure it's built around the trombone--other than the (again) west coast sound, it sounds like Bob Cranshaw on bass. I'm sticking with Watrous!

7. Sounds like Paul Desmond on alto, but I don't think it really is. Someone who's emulating him, though! No clue.

8. Since I fell for you. Someone emulating Stanley T this time. Unless it's early Stanley and Shirley--maybe on Prestige? Don't think so...it's a little too "clean-sounding" for that. Sounds like Grant Green on guitar...would all three of them have recorded for Prestige?

9. Stan Getz for sure--on the late end of his career. This is the first one I'm completely confident of (watch, I'll be wrong!!!) I'd say this was a Telarc recording if I didn't think it was more likely on Verve. Bass player's GOOD with the arco. Makes me want to lay down and cry. Damn. Is it raining outside? :(

10. Damn, I KNOW the sax player. Patrick Williams and his New York Band?

11. Footprints. Cool version! Heavy on the bass. Survey says...acoustic weather report? ;) Seriously, sparse piano playing makes me think Joe Sample.

12. My disc is skipping around here, but I'm thinking Johnny Hammond with a big band of some sort. Don't recall brother Jack recording with such a large ensemble, but I could be wrong.

13. Reverse psychology is getting the better of me...I'm thinking Gene again--although late-period. Post 'sounds days. Or possibly a Verve three sounds record?

Dan, this was a hell of a lot of fun. Thanks again for the comp and putting it together. I can't wait to see how wrong I was! :lol:

Many thanks to Dan for the efforts and the disc of cool tunes!!! Here are my first impressions:

1. I like 'em slow. I think I know the tune and it is bugging the shit out of me. 4 stars

2. Humorous lyrics are something I love. I was diggin' it just like the crowd. Played a Joe Williams song to check the voice--sounds right. 4.5 stars

3. I don't mind covers, especially not if they're of tunes I like in the first place as is the case here. I agree with an earlier guess that it sounds like King Curtis. 3.5 stars

4. The piano in this version sounds more mellow than other interpretations of this song I've heard. Nice. 3.5 stars

5. Not crazy about it, don't dislike it. 3 stars

6. Not feeling this one. 2.5 stars

7. The alto sounds relaxed despite the frantic pace, and I can see where Paul Desmond would come to mind. Another one I like but am not jumping up and down about. 3 stars

8. Really started digging this one when they turned the guitarist loose--he tears it up. 4 stars

9. Did I mention I like 'em slow? Nice piano work here. 3.75 stars

10. For some reason this one didn't do much for me, despite some skilled playing. 3 stars

11. Favorite so far--a killer rhythm and assertive bass-playing. Despite the fact that I have heard several versions of this, it sounds original and fresh. 5 stars

12. A nice greeeeaazzzy work-out, but not doing a whole lot for me. 3 stars

13. Serious and downright mean-sounding. This one along with 11 are my favorites. 5 stars

That's with a single listen, perhaps my opinions will change on some of these. Looking forward to reading the attempts to decipher who's who. Thanks again, Dan Gould! :bwallace::eye: B)

Well, this time around I decided to take notes from the beginning, and just post what I had written. This test was a little more difficult for me than Tony's was...

1. Hmm... The Three Sounds, perhaps? B) // gospel type tune (public domain?) //

*** Nice feel.

2. Joe Williams - // I’d Rather Drink Muddy Water //

** Love Joe W, but this is kind of monotonous (Joe’s humorous interaction with the audience at the end is the high point for me).

3. 60’s soul alto (quartet); sounds similar to the tune “Stand By Me” //

** Nice melody, not much to sink my teeth into otherwise...

4. Tenor (quartet). Tenor player has blues/R&B roots // Watermelon Man //

**1/2 Not my favorite style of jazz, but very good playing. Good solos

5. two tenors (quintet); Wess/Foster? (1st tenor soloist Lesteresque; 2nd a little more bop-influenced). Basie-like piano solo (comping not quite as economical as Basie’s) (Savoy label?) // Blues (unison line)... //

*** Good rhythm section.

6. trombone / tenor (quintet) (tenor solos first... Jimmy Heath?) // ? early-mid 50’s boppish theme (very familiar, but I can’t quite place it) Love the tenor part (harmony) on the head- Benny Golsonish writing // relatively clean/modern-sounding recording (I can REALLY hear what the bassist is doing on this!!)

**** Very nice

7. trumpet , alto (quintet) Don’t know who... Red Rodney/ Ira Sullivan? // tune is Billie’s Bounce // (LIVE) also a relatively modern recording

***1/2

8. tenor (don’t know... Houston Person?), organ, guitar (Billy Butler-ish comping; Phil Upchurch-ish solo... ??), drums // Since I Fell For You // (Live)

9. tenor (quartet) tenor sounds very familiar... nice range... very expressive style, great tone... note-bending style reminds me of Ike Quebec at times (it’s not Ike, though). Very nice piano work throughout // I’ve heard this tune, but can’t place it... //

**** Great ballad playing

10. tenor (? almost sounds like an alto at times), (quartet) // ? //

*** enjoyed it, but I’m clueless as to who...

11. Piano trio // Footprints //

*** enjoyable, not really my favorite style, but very good pianist

12. Organ trio w/ horn section // blues //

**1/2 Organ is good... horn arrangement doesn’t do a lot for me; guitar comping- sounds like Grant Green’s style of comping- don’t care fo it, kind of trite, could have done without it on this track (especially since guitarist doesn’t solo anyway)

13. tenor (quartet) // blues // No idea who this is.

*1/2 forgettable composition, too loose a feel overall. tenor solo has some energy, but for me this was doomed from the get-go.

=========================================================

Random thoughts:

Identifying bassists and drummers continues to be a weakness for me.

In general I no longer get as much out of strong blues/soul elements (“acid jazz” stuff) as I did when I was younger; and the more cliched the blues elements are, the more bored I get... in general (there can be exceptions)

These blindfold tests are making me realize that sometimes I have to listed VERY closely to be able to distinguish an alto sax from a tenor. This is really annoying... can make me feel like an idiot, but maybe I'm not the only one (I HOPE). :)

So far I haven’t gathered enough info here to be able to detect any theme here...

Edited by Jim R

Had to give this disc another listen today. A few more comments regarding some of the cuts....

2) Originally, I thought there was a Professor Longhair feel to the piano playing. There are a few licks in the intro. that remind me of him however, I don't think the feel is quite right to be the Professor. Upon further review I would have to say Jay McShann or Lloyd Glenn. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may have been recorded at Newport.

7) Today I'm hearing Benny Bailey on trumpet. Also, the sax seems like it is closely "miked" ala Eddie Harris. That being said I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the piano is Les McCann. Furthermore, if in fact those musicians are correct, I would guess that this song is from their famous Montreux concert issued under the title "Swiss Movement". A special edition of this album came out in the last year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the extra cuts included in that set. If that's the case Leroy Vinnegar is holding down the bass. I don't remember the drummer on this one.

Again, very enjoyable compilation Dan!

Just got my copy this morning (thanks Dan). Here are my initial responses to each track:

1) Gene Harris (and the 3 Sounds?). Sounds like a traditional tune - perhaps a hymn of some kind.

2) The piano intro sounded slightly like Oscar Peterson, but not quite. No idea who the vocalist is, although it's probably an easy answer for those more into the blues realm. I'll guess it's B.B. King.

3) Lou Donaldson, in one of his obviously more commercial-oriented efforts. His playing, at least in the opening moments, tends toward the "less is more" style, for him anyway. The multi-noted Birdesque licks seem to have disappeared. The bass riff is familiar, but I can't name the tune; must've been a pop hit of the day.

4) "Watermelon Man". The tenor player has a great, relaxed, in the pocket feel - he's really showing some soul too. I'll say Johnny Griffin, but not with much confidence.

5) Another blues with a two sax front line. I wasn't expecting the walking bass for two choruses at the start, following the head. I'm stumped as to who the saxes are.

6) A Tadd Dameron tune ("Tadd's Delight", perhaps). This could be Griffin on tenor again but the tone is what's throwing me off. Then again, maybe it is Benny Golson, yeah, I'll go with that. Curtis Fuller on trombone, amazing fluidity, nice solo. The recording sounds a lot "newer" to me - the group could be the re-organized Jazztet or whatever it was called from the 80s or even 90s.

7) A Charlie Parker blues line, "Billie's Bounce". No idea who the alto player was, ditto for the trumpeter. Both horn players didn't seem too original, mainly re-hashed licks; I wasn't digging it. Nice comping behind the bass solo. Overall, though, an unremarkable performance.

8) "Since I Fell For You". The sax player has that Stanley Turrentine feel. Kenny Burrell on guitar, possibly? Now that I think of it, this could be one of those CTI all-star sessions.... or not.

9) A nice tune, played beautifully, without overdoing the sentimentality. No idea wo any of the musicians are. Joe Lovano on sax is my only guess.

10) A nice groove to this tune. Everything seems as "natural" as can be. Stumped again as to who the musicians are.

11) "Footprints". Nothing too "fancy" from the pianist but he/she is a very tasteful player, influenced by Herbie Hancock, no doubt. Although I haven't heard much of her stuff, I'll say it's Renee Rosnes.

12) Another blues. Groove Holmes with the Gerald Wilson orchestra, possibly. Or maybe Jimmy Smith, from a more recent era.

13) Gene Harris, that's my guess. The tenor has that Turrentine thang going on, but I don't think it's Stan. Superb solo, though. Gee, I wonder if the blues is a theme in this test. :g

I think this is #2 (warning to new players- don't look if you don't wish to see what might be the answer):

But where's the orchestra? And, even more important, where's the rhythm guitar? And it's not Lou Rawls!

Regarding two other suggestions:

The Watermelon Man version is definitely not Mongo's, and there is nothing from "Swiss Movement", I know both in and out!

Reading your comments, I think I should have taken my time a little more, but that's life ... :rolleyes:

MIke, I may have jumped the gun on trying to pick the specific recording (I'll edit my post to indicate that- don't want to waste anybody's time B) ). However, I'm still inclined to think it's Joe Williams. He does sound a little raspy, and it could be somebody else, but I'll say it's Joe late in his career (with a cold :g ).

Got my disc yesterday - thanks Dan!

I've been holding off reading any comments on this thread because I want to post my initial thoughts before delving into AMG, my own CD and LP collection, or being swayed by any comments here. So I'm sure I'll embarrass myself a time or two with my guesses, but I already told you before that I'm not very good at this sort of thing. ;) Nevertheless, it's been an absolute blast exercising my listening muscles and trying to determine who's playing what rather than knowing everything beforehand. It's an interesting process for me, and I feel that I'm already learning a lot just by listening, well, differently than usual.

First, a few overall thoughts.

*Dan mentioned that there might be some sort of theme here. Not sure exactly, but a lot (all?) of these cuts are taken from LPs. A bunch of 'em are live. Perhaps they're all from albums that aren't yet on CD?

*I recognize most of the tunes even if I can't quite come up with some of the titles. I can't tell you how much that pleases me - I already don't feel so stupid. ;)

*I listened to the CD at work today on what's essentially a boombox, so I know I'm missing some of the sound quality clues. I'm now sampling the tracks at home, and I'm sure as I listen more throughout the week I'll refine some of my "guesses."

*Finally, I really dig every one of these cuts. I don't know if that means I'm easy to please or that Dan's simply got good taste. I'd like to believe the latter. :)

Now on with the test:

1. I’m pretty certain the tune is “Drown in My Own Tears,” and I’ll guess from the soulful groove, overall sound, and the live recording that this is The Ramsey Lewis trio on one of their live Chess/Argo albums.

2. I know who this is, so I won’t mention it here just yet. Don’t know the specific album, but it's live and probably a later recording (Verve?).

3. “Stand By Me.” Is this Stanley T.? It doesn’t quite sound like his tone to my ears, but it’s the kind of 60’s cover tune he was drawn to at the time. Could be Lou Donaldson or Sonny Criss, though I’m guessing that not so much because I can identify their unique tone than because I recognize their penchant for such material. As are many of these tracks, this is taken from an LP. If Mr. T, it definitely doesn't sound like a BN or RVG recording. May be one of the Lou Donaldson Argos?

4. “Watermelon Man.” I’m gonna guess Eddie Harris & Les McCann, though not from “Swiss Movement.” This tune would sound great played on spoons!

5. Really no idea. An older track to be sure, again off of an LP. I love the walking bass (nicely recorded by the way).

6. The trombone would suggest Benny Green or Curtis Fuller, though I don’t recognize this from any of their leader sessions that I have. Since it’s also from an LP, there’s a chance that it’s not yet on CD.

7. Damn, I know this tune, but can’t come up with the title. I’m thinking something be-boppy like “Move” or “Dig.” This sounds like the oldest tune on the CD, maybe early 50s (it sounds too good to be much earlier). This sounds like something Bird and Diz would have done (maybe I have their version?), but the sax doesn’t sound quite like Charlie Parker to me. Trumpet could be Dizzy, but I’m thinking more like Fats Navarro or Howard McGhee. Ah, listening again at home I'm thinking it is Bird after all, but now the track seems too long and the sound too slick for the era. Is that Bud on the piano? Nah, I thought so earlier at work, but not now that I'm hearing it better. I just know I'm gonna kick myself when I learn the answer to this one!

8. Is this “Since I don’t Have You?” Again live and from an LP. This sounds just like any number of Lou Donaldson or Stanley Turrentine funky organ combos. In other words, I love it. No clue who’s playing the organ; I don’t think that’s Grant Green on guitar, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m wrong. I really should think beyond Blue Note. This could just as easily be something Jack McDuff did for Prestige.

9. Now this is pretty, but I haven’t a clue who’s playing. I was first thinking Art Tatum and Ben Webster from that Pablo disc, but this sounds like a stereo recording to me, so that's not right.

10. Again, sounds like a Turrentine or Donaldson 60s session to me.

11. The tune is “Footprints.” Is that an electric bass? It sounded like it earlier on the boombox but now I don't think so - but it is more modern sounding and recorded up in the mix. I dunno, but I love it. Could it be Herbie's trio with Patitucci? If so, that probably shoots down my live and/or Lp-only theme...

12. As you can probably guess by now, I can’t tell one organist’s tone from another, but given the context of the recording I’m going to guess that this is Jimmy Smith on one of his Verve albums arranged by Oliver Nelson.

13. "Lonely Avenue?" No real clue here, but the recording sounds a bit more modern – and by modern I mean from the 1970s. ;) Is that an electric bass? My first thought was Junior Mance, but I don’t think that’s right. Maybe Red Garland on one of his 70’s Prestige dates? Again, the sax sounds like Turrentine or Donaldson to me - but then I say that about every funky sax player. Damn, I love this rhythm section!

Okay, enough guessing for now. I'm gonna post this and then read what the rest of you have to say...

Okay. In reading the other posts I see where I've blow a couple of these big time. And of course it's "Since I Fell For You" and not "Since I Don't Have You," but I'm pleased to have been on the right track.... ;)

But what's thrilling me the most is that I'm now pretty sure I have a few of these right! :D

A really nice selection, Dan. I know I'll be enjoying this disc for a long time to come...

Here are my comments so far.

1. Alright. Time for some church. Very soulful. Not sure on the artist or song, but I dig it. Amen!

2. Joe Williams? Fun track. Fun audience interaction.

3. Stand By Me changes, but a different melody. Lou? Alto sweetness. Another good track.

4. I know the tune, but it's not coming to me right now. Nice tone. Not sure who it is, but I hear a lot of other Tenor influences. Sounds recent. A criss-cross recording perhaps? Is this an Adderley cover? very nice.

5. Echo, baby! Another Tenor groove. Sparce piano solo. I can dig it. Griffin? No, too few notes. Wait a second. That's a different tenor now. Maybe it's one of the Griffin/Davis sides? Excellent.

6. Nice Tenor/Bone-head. The tune is mildly familiar, but I don't think I've heard it before. Solid. Polite.

7. I know these changes too. OK. I played this tune in High School Jazz Band. I just can't remember it! Arrrgghh! Good Tenor solo. Good trumpet too. I wish I could remember the name of the tune!

8. Here's the organ! Another familiar melody. I just can't seem to remember song titles! Was this a pop song?

11. Footprints.

13. Randy Weston? Nice intro. Very cool groove. 10 stars. Love it. Great closer for BT2.

for 9, 10 and 12 I'll add my comments later, if I can resist the temptation to read the other threads.

Thanks guys!

However, I'm still inclined to think it's Joe Williams.  He does sound a little raspy, and it could be somebody else, but I'll say it's Joe late in his career (with a cold  :g ).

I considered Joe Williams with a cold, too ... :g

If that's not Joe Williams, I'll eat my hat (provided, that is, that my hat's made out of two slices of bread and some cheese...)