Jerome Richarson - two New Jazz albums

king ubu

There's been some talk about Fantasy recommendations since Concord is having a big sal (all titles reduced, the tenth disc for free, plus if you enter some coupon-code, you get some more percent off... free shipping in the US, horrendous Fedex rates abroad... but fast delivery for sure!)

So I just got my big package today, including the two Garland Rediscovered Masters, Teddy Edwards' "It's All Right", Barry Harris' "Luminescence!", Dizzy Reece's "Asia Minor", to name just a few of the OOP titles that are part of the sale (I assume as long as supplies last... it seems they "found" additional stock of many titles that were assumed to be gone for good... also worth mentioning the two Gil Mellés, all the Gigi Gryces, Woody Shaw's "Song of Songs").

Anyway, among the first discs I played this afternoon are the two fine albums by Jerome Richardson, who's much more than just a utility player and session man! I was aware of that before, but never had a chance to really check it out... sure, he appears here and there, turning in fine playing on flute or tenor, but these two albums still are worth a special recommendation.

f53403avu17.jpg

Midnight Oil (New Jazz 8205 / OJCCD 1815-2)

with Jimmy Cleveland, Kenny Burrell, Hank Jones, Joe Benjamin and Charlie Persip, rec. by RVG, 1958-10-10

Richardson sticks to flute here, except for the opening track on which he plays meaty tenor. The flute/trombone frontline (with guitar) is mighty nice, not a combination heard too often (one notable team to do it was J.J. Johnson/Bobby Jaspar on the former's Columbia dates, part of the great Mosaic box). They do three originals by the leader (side a), a nice arrangement of "Caravan", plus an Artie Shaw tune ("Lyric") (side b).

OJCCD-1849-2.jpg

Roamin' with Richardson (New Jazz 8226 / OJCCD 1849-2)

with Richard Wyands, George Tucker, Charlie Persip, rec. by RVG, 1959-10-21

Here we get the opportunity to hear Richardson on baritone, and he does great! On "Poinciana" he's on flute, he also plays tenor again, but the baritone playing is outstanding! The band with Wyands is great - this musician first caught my ear on the Eric Dolphy Prestige box, and I ever since enjoyed his contribution to all the albums he appears on as a sideman - I'd love to hear some trio stuff form him from those days, but as far as I know, there's nothing around. George Tucker and Charlie Persip, too, are fine individalists, and with Richardson the only horn, this is a mighty fine group!

I can heartily recommend both discs! I assume it would be worth grabbing them quick, they might fetch incredible prices on Amazon marketplace (I didn't check, though).

Oh, and both have fine cover photos, by Esmond Edwards (who supervised both dates), and by one Ben Robles (Midnight Oil).

I didn't realise that we Yurpeans can join in this Concord sale; we were excluded from the last one, so I didn't bother to check.

You might like to try Tiny Grimes' "Tiny in Swingville" - Jerome has some great solos in that one! Though I must say I prefer his sax work to flute. I might go for "Roamin' with" myself.

But "horrendous Fedex rates abroad" gives me pause - what sort of money are you talking about Ubu?

MG

Here's my order:

Order #: 11986

Date: 11/29/2007 06:06:13 CDT

Products

Swingin' With Pee Wee

PRCD-24213-2

Price/Ea.: $13.98

Quantity: 1

SubTotal: $13.98

It's All Right!

OJCCD-944-2

Price/Ea.: $0.00

SubTotal: $0.00

Luminescence!

OJCCD-924-2

Price/Ea.: $8.98

SubTotal: $8.98

Rediscovered Masters, Vol. 2

OJCCD-769-2

Rediscovered Masters, Vol. 1

OJCCD-768-2

Asia Minor

OJCCD-1806-2

Price/Ea.: $10.98

SubTotal: $10.98

Last Chorus

OJCCD-1906-2

The Happy Blues

OJCCD-013-2

Blows His Horn

OJCCD-1728-2

Can't Help Swingin'

PRCD-24214-2

Price/Ea.: $13.98

SubTotal: $13.98

In Copenhagen, 1981

2GCD-8201-2

Price/Ea.: $14.98

SubTotal: $14.98

Roamin' With Richardson

OJCCD-1849-2

Midnight Oil

OJCCD-1815-2

Singin' And Swingin'

OJCCD-1718-2

Taylors Tenors

OJCCD-1852-2

Jackie's Pal

OJCCD-1714-2

Alto Madness

OJCCD-1733-2

Shipping, Taxes & Other Charges

Coupon:CMG5: ($17.57)

Shipping: International FedEx: $40.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

Order Total: $198.11

Thank you! Your order is now being processed, and will ship 3 to 5 business days from the day the order is placed. Pre-sale orders will ship the week of release.

Unfortunately, we are not currently processing back orders of out-of-stock products. If there is an out-of-stock item in your order, we will credit your credit card and notify you via email.

You may always contact one of our Customer Service Representatives with any questions you may have, or to check on the status of your order.

Customer Service Department

Concord Music Group, Inc.

(800)551-5299

customerservice@concordmusicgroup.com

so I guess it's 20$ for each 100$ worth that you order (I had twice as many things in my basket and shipping was 80$... then I started cleaning it out and just when I got below 200, it went down to 40... maybe it's just 40 and 80, no 60 in between, but I wouldn't know... it's way too much, but then Mosaic is almost as bad, and with the coupon code you get some of it back, and also with the cheap prices and cheap exchange rate for $, it ain't all that bad...

So far I have used CMG2, CMG3, CMG4 & CMG5.

Dja mean ya just fuckin' INVENT a coupon code!!!!!!

MG

No. I got 2 of them from Concord catalogs, one from a Concord email and one of them in a thread here.

Used one for $13.98 items, one for $10.98 items, etc.

Thanks Chuck - found it now.

MG

In my view, the best Jerome Richardson CD is this one:

Jerome Richardson - Jazz Station Runaway - TCB 97402

with Russell Malone, David Hazeltine, George Mraz, and Lewis Nash

Richardson's playing sounds more mature to me, and this CD swings more than the two earlier ones.

As for Richard Wyands, there are many trio CDs that have been issued. I have 7 in my collection.

They may not all be currently available, but I suspect that you should be able to find at least a few of them.

Richard Wyands Trio CDs

Reunited - Criss Cross

Half And Half - Criss Cross

The Arrival - DIW

As Long As There's Music - Savant

Get Out Of Town - Steeplechase

Then, Here And Now - Storyville

Lady Of The Lavender Night

Does that mean you can use several coupons at once and I missed that?

The one I used was from the letter about the sale that you can fine on the start page, but to find the coupon, you have to open the whole thing and go on reading some.

No, I made individual orders. That works in the States with the free shipping but not as attractive for you.

As for Richard Wyands, there are many trio CDs that have been issued. I have 7 in my collection.

They may not all be currently available, but I suspect that you should be able to find at least a few of them.

Richard Wyands Trio CDs

Reunited - Criss Cross

The Arrival - DIW

"Just Us" on Prestige is another fine Richard Wyands trio date, although under the nominal leadership of Roy Haynes.

Does that mean you can use several coupons at once and I missed that?

The one I used was from the letter about the sale that you can fine on the start page, but to find the coupon, you have to open the whole thing and go on reading some.

No, I made individual orders. That works in the States with the free shipping but not as attractive for you.

Thanks for clearing that, Chuck! Definitely not an option, but still good I didn't pay too much the Concord folks!

Richard Wyands Trio CDs

Reunited - Criss Cross

The Arrival - DIW

"Just Us" on Prestige is another fine Richard Wyands trio date, although under the nominal leadership of Roy Haynes.

Oh, I wasn't aware that Wyands was on that one... now that might indeed be the early trio date I've been looking for then! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look for this disc! (On a side note: interesting choice of bassist there with Eddie De Haas... and funny that AMG calls him unknown... of course, all yurpeens are unknown in the US, except for guys like Mr. Chevrolet...)

(On a side note: interesting choice of bassist there with Eddie De Haas... and funny that AMG calls him unknown... of course, all yurpeens are unknown in the US, except for guys like Mr. Chevrolet...)

Eddie De Haas is also on Chris Connor's album, "Chris in person", which was done at the Village Vanguard. Hard to imagine a musician who's played the VV being regarded as unknown in a jazz context. The other members of the band were Kenny Burrell, Bill Rubenstein and Lex Humphreys.

MG

(On a side note: interesting choice of bassist there with Eddie De Haas... and funny that AMG calls him unknown... of course, all yurpeens are unknown in the US, except for guys like Mr. Chevrolet...)

Eddie De Haas is also on Chris Connor's album, "Chris in person", which was done at the Village Vanguard. Hard to imagine a musician who's played the VV being regarded as unknown in a jazz context. The other members of the band were Kenny Burrell, Bill Rubenstein and Lex Humphreys.

MG

Eddie De Haas is all over the place if you start looking a bit closer! Like for instance he's on the three Steeplechase Vonski albums that I'm playing this afternoon! (And no, not Vonski + yurepean pick-up band but Jodie Christian, Wilbur Campbell and De Haas.)

One would expect from a site providing "general overview" such as AMG that they indeed realize such things... but then I guess the individuals who actually are writing up the short texts on albums don't exaclty have that greater perspective that would be nice to see on such a site...

MG

Eddie De Haas is all over the place if you start looking a bit closer! Like for instance he's on the three Steeplechase Vonski albums that I'm playing this afternoon! (And no, not Vonski + yurepean pick-up band but Jodie Christian, Wilbur Campbell and De Haas.)

One would expect from a site providing "general overview" such as AMG that they indeed realize such things... but then I guess the individuals who actually are writing up the short texts on albums don't exaclty have that greater perspective that would be nice to see on such a site...

I worked with Eddie (as well as Wilbur and Jodie) a lot when I lived in Chicago. Eddie is a great player and a very cool guy. I wonder how he's doing?

Edited by Free For All

• 2 weeks later...

Have had "Midnight Oil" for years and really dig it; haven't heard (or ever seen a copy) of the other Richardson.

"Asia Minor" is one of my all-time favorite OJCs. :tup

I absolutely agree : Asia Minor is a MASTERPIECE and i'm always surprised that it did not get the recognition it deserves (maybe because it is not on Blue Note). This is one of the BEST New Jazz albums, and one of the VERY BEST hard bop session EVER (yes yes yes !!)

:tup