i'm hungry for a hot dog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are times - when one's out shopping and there's a guy on the street flogging hot dogs - that the smell just GETS you (well, me) and you've GOT to have a hot dog (even if I've just eaten). When that happens, I really don't want ANYTHING except bread, sausage and fried onions, because that is THE ESSENCE of what I've been smelling.

MG

I've never understood ketchup on a hot dog, or worse yet, ketchup and mustard.

For me, if there is mustard available, its gotta be spicy; yellow mustard at a ballgame just makes me want to eat the dog plain. The best mustard I've found is a honey mustard that starts sweet but finishes very sharp, its great on hot dogs and ham sandwiches.

Otherwise, melted cheese and onions always work for me, but I'm not a fan of relish or sauerkraut.

bertman's ballpark mustard is swell, even essential.

doh man!!!

Days at the ballyard down on the lake buying a ticket for three fifty and moving down to the boxes after the third inning were highlighted by putting on more of that Stadium Mustard than the dogs and buns could even allow!!! yummm. I think that mustard kept Cheif Wahoo smiling during the eighties.

but up in Rhodieland gotta "drag em tru da gahdn".

231.jpg

No ballgames for me. . . but as for dogs. . . yellow mustard is fine, and any type of onions (grilled, fresh and diced).

Or chili cheese and onions.

I'd be hungry if I hadn't just finished a long "Italian" hoagie!

Edited by jazzbo

give us the lowe down on this matter, allen.

Italian Sandwiches - In a world of hoagies, heroes, grinders and submarines, Portland, Maine is known as the birthplace of the Italian sandwich. It is considered Maine’s signature sandwich. Simply known as “Italians” to the people living in Maine.

During the beginning of the 20th century, Italians were emigrating to New England in large numbers to lay paving stones on streets, extend railway lines, and work as longshoremen on the waterfront. Giovanni Amato, an Italian immigrant, started selling fresh baked rolls from a pushcart to his fellow Italian immigrants working on the docks of Portland, Maine. At the workers' request, Giovanni added a little meat, cheese, and fresh vegetables, and the "Italian Sandwich" was born. Nobody knows the precise date of the first Italian Sandwich, but Amato's sandwich historians say it had happened by 1903. By the 1920s, Amato had opened a sandwich shop on India Street. In the 1950s, people would line up outside the shop to get their Italians, and Amato's would sell 5,000 sandwiches on Sundays.

Others may lay claim to inventing the Italian Sandwich, and there are now dozens of imitators selling them. Today, almost every corner grocery store in Southern Maine make their own version of this regional delight. According to most Italian Sandwich aficionados, the best Italian's in Maine are ALWAYS made in little Mom & Pop grocery stores. And the size of the sandwich making area relative to the rest of the store is a very good indication of the quality of product.

The present day sandwich doesn't include anything remotely Italian. Unlike most sandwiches, the Italian doesn't have lettuce. Neither does it have mayo or mustard. Instead, it's topped with salt and pepper, and a squirt of oil. The freshly baked buns are soft, not crunchy (the sour pickles and soft rolls are what makes the Italian Sandwich unique), and filled with veggies aplenty. The meat is ham or salami (boiled ham was introduced somewhere in the 1960’s and is as popular today as the original with salami), and American cheese. The sandwich is also a bit messy. The oil on the traditional Italian makes the sandwich a challenge to eat.

Roger Kirk, a former resident of Portland, Maine, who currently resides in Fremont, NH sent me information on the Italian Sandwich to include in this history. According to Roger: The sandwich is made with a one-foot-long soft roll (not the hard sub roll), sliced 2/3 of the way through lengthwise (like a hot dog roll) and pulled open for ingredient insertion. Wrapped in white waxed paper, the locals unwrap one end and eat directly from the wrap. As it is made today, it has:

American cheese slices

Boiled ham slices (originally was salami)

Onions (chopped)

Tomato Green pepper

Sour pickles (hand-sliced long and thin)

Black or Greek olive halves (typically 4 per sandwich)

Oil (mixed olive and vegetable oils)

Salt & pepper

Jazzbo,

for a quick lunch I usually have a slice of pizza or I go to a grocery and have a sandwich with fresh bread and some kind of ham, or salame, and cheese, mozzarella, ecc. A very common and tasty sandwich in Rome in autumn is Pizza e Fichi: a roman pizza filled with ham and fresh figs. Love it.

178496804_42ab069f0f.jpg

Jazzbo,

for a quick lunch I usually have a slice of pizza or I go to a grocery and have a sandwich with fresh bread and some kind of ham, or salame, and cheese, mozzarella, ecc. A very common and tasty sandwich in Rome in autumn is Pizza e Fichi: a roman pizza filled with ham and fresh figs. Love it.

178496804_42ab069f0f.jpg

doeth roma have mcdonalds'?

When I was kid, there was a chain around Boston called Joe & Nemo's. They specialized in hot dogs, and the best way to have it was "all around" - mustard, relish, chopped onions. I still like it that way today.

The first time I went to New York, I discovered sauerkraut on a dog - mighty good!

In San Francisco a few years ago, I went to a place that offered fresh chopped tomatoes as an option - liked that too!

When I was kid, there was a chain around Boston called Joe & Nemo's. They specialized in hot dogs, and the best way to have it was "all around" - mustard, relish, chopped onions. I still like it that way today.

The first time I went to New York, I discovered sauerkraut on a dog - mighty good!

In San Francisco a few years ago, I went to a place that offered fresh chopped tomatoes as an option - liked that too!

You should go to Germany. I loved travelling in Germany with my motorbike. No speed limit on the Highway, tasty wurst of every kind and good beer at the gas station.