Duke Ellington Mosaic

sal

Whoa, this is a surprise! I expected possibly Blue Mitchell or Mobley to be next on the list, since they've been around for awhile (relatively speaking). I would second GOM's recommendation. Ther's a wide variety here, and it's a lot of fun. I mean, this is ELLINGTON. Ain't another like him.

This is indeed a surprise! I bought mine at a retail store about 6-8 months ago, numbered 1425. I don't think Mosaic ships any boxes in sequence, sure would be nice if they did. It would make it much easier to guage my next purchase. Maybe someone here should start a poll on the next box to hit the running low page.

Get it or regret it!

Absolutely!!

I spoke with mosaic a couple days ago and they had slightly over two hundred of this ellington box set in stock. and then there are the copies sitting out in brick and mortar stores or other places like collector's choice.

byw-they had only nineteen of the chico hamilton sets. can't remember how many jacquet though I think it was more than thirty and less than one hundred.

This is indeed a surprise! I bought mine at a retail store about 6-8 months ago, numbered 1425.

In fact, this was the first Mosaic box I went retail on. For some reason a lot of them have turned up used in local stores for very reasonable prices---I snagged one for about $50 early this year. The only detectable difference from my other Mosaics is that the box is a bit more scuffed. Lots of good music on this baby, needless to say.

This is indeed a surprise! I bought mine at a retail store about 6-8 months ago, numbered 1425. I don't think Mosaic ships any boxes in sequence, sure would be nice if they did. It would make it much easier to guage my next purchase. Maybe someone here should start a poll on the next box to hit the running low page.

I bought this set at CDNOW in September 2002. It is numbered 9825.

Mosaic will definitely not ship their boxes in sequence.

Take the HAMILTON set, folks. It is one of the most underrated Mosaic sets, IMO!!!

So far, absolutely LOVE the Ellington. AFRO BOSSA, my first exposure to this music - incredible, some of the best Ellington ever. Love the JAZZ VIOLIN album, too. Remarkably good remastering by Malcom Addey. Still have all the rest to explore this weekend... B)

Update on the used copy: arrived with a taped spot on the box and a dented corner despite being listed as "very good." OK, was prepared to live with that given the really good price, but then when I attempted to play Disc 5 a week or so ago I discovered there were TWO DISC 4's and no Disc 5! Pissed to say the least, but in fairness to Wherehouse music, they took it back no questions asked and only 3 days later they are already processing the refund to my credit card. In meantime, I ordered and received yesterday a pristine copy from Mosaic at full price, with all the discs included...interestingly, it was numbered an even 5000! Well worth it to have it all.

So after listening to Disc 5 last night, let me also add the Mary Poppins stuff is a lot of fun. No, this ain't the heaviest Ellington you'll find, but it's remarkable what the band does with these tunes. It's a real testament to Strayhorn's arranging skills, if nothing else, but I wouldn't stop there - it's also a blast to listen to this stuff with a new perspective.

Remarkable, remarkable boxed set...and the more I learn about Ellington the more I realize there's almost NOTHING in his entire vast discography that a fan can safely pass up without feeling they're going to miss something special. Drat! ;)

Edited by DrJ

So after listening to Disc 5 last night, let me also add the Mary Poppins stuff is a lot of fun. No, this ain't the heaviest Ellington you'll find, but it's remarkable what the band does with these tunes. It's a real testament to Strayhorn's arranging skills, if nothing else, but I wouldn't stop there - it's also a blast to listen to this stuff with a new perspective.

Remarkable, remarkable boxed set...and the more I learn about Ellington the more I realize there's almost NOTHING in his entire vast discography that a fan can safely pass up without feeling they're going to miss something special. Drat! ;)

Yes! The Poppins material is just another interesting aspect of this remarkable box. I love what a broad range it has--AFRO-BOSSA, JAZZ VIOLIN, SYMPHONIC ELLINGTON, the big-band covers--you really hear a remarkable variety of concepts and styles, all filtered through a stand-up Ellington orchestra. (Toss in a pretty cool version of "Rhapsody in Blue" while you're at it.) This has actually become one of my favorite Ellington collections.

• 3 months later...

I've just read a short review, in British mag Mojo (January 04 issue) and penned by Roy Carr, of a five-disc set entitled The Reprise Studio Recordings, attributed to the Reprise label. Anyone heard of this?

Amazon has a listing and reviews for said set, but it appears to be the Mosaic.

I'm confused!

Edited by kenny weir

Thanks for that David.

Does that mean Reprise is now selling the its Ellingtons the same Blue Note is selling the Herbie Nichols and Stan Getz boxes? Or do you mean Herbie Hancock?

If this is the case it seems odd such a set should be come available about the same time as the Mosaic Duke went OOP. Or am I still missing something?

I got my copy of the Ellington Reprise (German edition: "Spiegel Edition") from Zweitausendeins today and I'm simply stunned by the fabulous sound quality of these recordings. I'd have to think quite far back to remember a CD or box set which had me virtually glued to my speakers for almost an entire day. A perfect example of a set with superior music AND sound!

Wonderful.

Cheers!