Neal Creque- Contrast!

pasta

Sorry - thought it was Mercury - didn't check.

Here are the details for the Cobblestone :)

Neal Creque (p,el-p,clavinet,org,bells,comp,arr) Billy Butler (g) John Hart (el-b) Al Foster (d) Richard "Pablo" Landrum, Steve Kroon, Leopoldo Fleming, William Bivins, Jr., Jimmy Morrison (perc) Selwart Clarke, Alfred Brown, Winston Collymore (viola) Kermit Moore (cello)

Kenya

Help yourself

Bacalau

Happy go lucky

Just a moment

D Train

Love and life

Jasmine

Two loving hearts

All this world has to offer

MG

is this the same Neal Creque who i used to listen to in person in the virgin islands in the '60s?!?

Yes. I don't know what he's doing now, but he made some records with Pucho & the Latin Soul Brothers and Grant Green in the late 1960s/early 1970s - and a few as a leader. Oh, and one with Melvin Sparks in the mid seventies. A very singing style of playing and composing - great melodies. He wrote "Cease the bombing" and "Time to remember" for GG and LOADS of songs for Pucho.

What was he like in the early sixties?

MG

i am really sorry to hear that he has left us. as i remember it, he was the house band at a very popular spot in st. thomas, called "sebastians on the waterfront". it was a very hip, comfortable, attractive club, on a hill overlooking the water. as i recall, his jazz trio played six nights a week. since it was so very long ago, i really don't remember much else except he was a good player. he had/has many family members in st. thomas and i met some of them during a return visit in the '80s.

Edited by ValerieB

Thanks for posting that sad news, Pasta.

Sorry to hear of his death, but glad that he continued to make a local impact for so long.

Like Mike, I think his work as a leader isn't as effective as his sideman recordings. Mel Sparks' "Sparkling" on Muse is an altogether splendid album in which Neal contributes every bit as much as the leader. I haven't heard him with Mongo (I don't think so, anyway), but that Sparks album is the best I've heard him.

His real legacy is his lovely melodic and funky tunes.

RIP

MG

Interesting little things, they are, Alexander, Creque, Bernard Purdie, and throwing a most interesting wrinkle into the mix, Richard Davis.

Are You Ready? has one side recorded live w/a different lineup, but one full side of the Sunshine Man band listed above, so I consider them "of a piece", even thought they're slightly different animals.