Rooster_Ties

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks!

Paintshop is VERY tedious (and limited) when it comes to text, unless there's some tricks there I haven't uncovered The letterg on my IASW cover had to be done letter by letter, manipulating the vectors of each one until it was just right. Then on to the NEXT one. Gotsta be a better way...

And I REALLY want/need to learn fonts - which ones are which. I don't know Garamond from Jack Germond and THAT is a pain in the ass. I get one I like, try to come back to it another time, and don't remember what it was. That sucks.

Wow Jim! I had no idea it was so much work to set up your fonts. My hat's off to you. That last Miles cover is great. Paintshop does sound like a tedius program. I'm spoiled by how much I can do in Photoshop. One thing that might help your text look better is to see if you have an option to turn on anti-aliasing for your text. Aliasing is when you get the stair step edges on your text. Anti-aliasing is an effect that smooths out the edges of the text.

As for typography, I respect your desire to learn more about it. When I was in school, we used to go through books of type and just study the characteristics. I don't know how much you know about typography, but I like to make up examples of my favorite fonts based upon the type of font it is. Serif (the fonts with little feet on them - garamond is a serif font). Sans-serif (fonts without feet - Arial, Helvetica), Decorative (Script fonts or other funky ones).

I have to say that this thread just illustrates and is a tribute to the skills of Reid Miles. I think I"ve learned more about typography from him than I have from anyone else.

• 6 months later...

Nice one, John!

I like your cover better. :tup

I would like to hold that original LP in my mits!

that cover is WEIRD! get a guy to climb up a monument and pose a lady in excruciatingly contrasting dress beneath as if in crucifiction. THEN use the colour of her dress (silk then pink to hurt eye) for lettering AND the colour of his outfit (denim then light blue) for other letters and make it all stunningly bright and frame it in BLACK. Woa.

mine's cool and easy, I like it a lot (wouldn't have made it if not), but DAMN, that original is a STUNNER! (I bet, never seen it in real size)

mine's too relaxed for the music. There's more going on than a couple of guys playing whist in front of some egypt monument ...

So: if anyone has this damn beaut of an LP in his or her posession and/or has the possibility to provide a hi-Q colour scan/pic: please do so, you will have my gratitude.

• 9 months later...

I have a couple requests!!!!!!!!!

Hank Mobley - Another Workout

- KILLER record....horrendous cover...can someone do this excellent session justice?

Kenny Burrell - Freedom

- Would like to see a couple different ideas for this one.

Thanks guys...I'm not much of a photoshop guy...but I'll try to come up with something to share.