Homemade covers for LP's that MIGHT've been on BN

Rooster_Ties

OK, it’s clear to me from some other recent threads on this board, that a few of us here (not including myself, alas) have quite the touch for creating some really cool “faux” BN album covers. SOooo, I can't help but request that some of these skills be put to good use in creating some classic BN covers for albums that "might have / could have / should have" been on BN back in the day, but weren't. My requests are...

Charles Tolliver - Paper Man (recorded in July of1968) with...

Gary Bartz

Herbie Hancock

Ron Carter

Joe Chambers

Woody Shaw - Cassandranite (recorded in December of 1965) with

Joe Henderson

Larry Young / Herbie Hancock

Ron Carter / Paul Chambers

Joe Chambers

First, let’s open the floor for suggestions for photos of Charles and Woody sometime in the 60’s, to start things off. Ideally the Tolliver picture would be in color (since it would be a cover from ‘68 or ‘69), and the picture for Woody could be either color or B&W, although I would think B&W could maybe be more appropriate – given the presumed timeframe of the release (circa ’65 or ’66)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As requested. Kind of a combo of Reid Miles' classic typography, the mid-60's BN approach to cover art utilizing color photos, and the LT series "minimalism" Jim Sangrey digs so much...

cassandranite.jpg

With apologies to Ron Carter!

Edited by Joe

Very cool. icon10.gif

Here's another couple to create "Blue Note"-ish covers for...

Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles (Sept. 1969), with...

Woody Shaw

Tyrone Washington

Bobby Hutcherson

Joe Chambers

Reggie Workman

Since all these guys had recorded for Blue Note in the late 60's, though none of them got to lead their own sessions (except Tyrone).

And also, how about...

Bobby Timmons - The Soul Man! (Jan. 1966), with...

Wayne Shorter

Ron Carter

Jimmy Cobb

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll take liberties to post two covers designed by couw and posted in the obscure albums thread, of Blue Note sessions not released at the time:

post-4-1063461694.gif

post-4-1063461275.jpg

I think they're great, especially the first one, and I hope you don't mind John, but I think they belong here!

Edited by mikeweil

That "Brilliant Circles" cover is very cool!! icon10.gif

OK, here's a radical idea.....

What if Miles had been on Blue Note, starting in 1965with E.S.P., on up through Jack Johnson or so. I mean, at least in the case of the '65-'68 material, everybody in that band was a regular on Blue Note (except Miles), and even most of the '68-'71 Miles sidemen were found on various Blue Note albums, and even were leaders on several.

SOoooo..... your next assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to visualize what some of the various Miles albums might have looked like on Blue Note starting with the 2nd great quintet (1965) on up to the early 70's.

I know, I know -- I'm rewriting history. But this is fun (or at least I think it is), and I'm loving the output of all your Photoshop experts. And really, is it all that impossible to imagine Miles on Blue Note in the mid-to-late 60's???

PS: Nice typo, Jim. ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The more I look at my Brilliant Circles mock-up, the more I realize that it doesn't look like a Blue Note cover. But, I really like it how it turned out. Glad you liked the typo, Rooster. ;)

I'm having a hard time imagining the Miles covers done differently, but I'm gonna keep on thinking. Wish I had Photoshop here at work!

MAN, many of these aren't just good, they're SUPERB! You guys are pretty talented.

This has me thinking - I wonder if Cuscuna and/or others at Blue Note would be up for a "design the Connoisseur cover for a previously unissued session" contest? It couldn't hurt to ask...

Any other nominations for real albums that didn't happen to be recorded on BN, but with people/line-ups that are very plausibly "BN"-ish enough to merit having a homemade BN cover?? Like how about maybe...

Charles Tolliver - The Ringer (June, 1969), with...

Stanley Cowell

Steve Novosel

Jimmy Hopps

And it seems like an album called "The Ringer" is just begging for a "visual pun"-infested cover, no?? :g