You Shook Me

Tim McG

I never could give Led Zep a good listen because their overall sound annoys the shit out of me.

Same here - the singer in particular :bad:

I'm hip. He sounds like a cat that got its tail done over with a rocking chair.

[Pardon the flame, but I lost a lot of sleep in school by "dumbasses" playing Led Zep at 1000 db til 3 AM, to boot.]

Edited by MoGrubb

I actually hate Led Zep, for many musical reasons, but I'll tell you the chief one - I've always thought of Plant as the guy who gave us the essential bad-white-guy-trying-to-sing-like-a-white-guy-who-sounds-black model of rockand roll lead singer -others tried before him, but he did it with a vengeance, and it's because of him that we have groups like those bozos from Massachusetts - sorry, very tired today and can't think of the name of the group, the lead singer is the guy whose daughter is an actress -

:lol:

Yea, Plant is certainly the weak link in the band (IMO). If it wasn't for him, I would probably listen to Led Zepplin more. I do like Jimmy Page (at least as a musician), and I admire Led Zepplin very much as one of the few British bands that was able to do something original and compelling with the blues.

I never could give Led Zep a good listen because their overall sound annoys the shit out of me.

Same here - the singer in particular :bad:

I'm hip. He sounds like a cat that got its tail done over with a rocking chair.

[Pardon the flame, but I lost a lot of sleep in school by "dumbasses" playing Led Zep at 1000 db til 3 AM, to boot.]

Count me in. Whole Lotta Love is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard.

I think I'll go listen to some Muddy Waters.

Hmm...this is turning into the Led Zeppelin/Robert Plant bashing thread. This is the kind of thing that's going to give Organissimo a bad reputation in the industry.

Can't be good, can't be good for Organissimo at all. :lol:

edit for Organissimo clarification.

Edited by 7/4

I'm not bashing either one. In fact I specifically explained earlier in this thread that I hated the band as much as anyone for the past 30+ years. Yet after watching an interesting Charlie Rose interview w/Plant a couple of years ago, I decided to take a second look at what I had been ignoring for all this time. Surprisingly (to myself, anyway), I found that there were a lot of well crafted songs and powerful performances that I had missed out on. Without hype and baggage that these guys carried throughout the Seventies, it's not so hard to appreciate them as a very tight working band. And believe me, as a young guy in his teens/twenties during that time, I got a face-full of their PR obnoxiousness.

Anyway, I made a point of picking up 2 live sets - "BBC Sessions" and "How the West Was Won" - to get a perspective on what they did with the music in concert. Quite eye-opening for me. They made a point of structurally changing many pieces in some really interesting ways. I would recommend to anyone with a passing interest in re-exploring these guys to get hold of "West" as it may actually be one of their best albums. I also rented "DVD" which has some great footage and performances. One of these days, I'll even wade into the sludge that is "The Song Remains The Same" as there's a new remastered/expanded edition that might make it a worthwhile purchase.

Well......that's my LZ rant for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just today I picked up the BBC sessions double-disc set, used for about $12.

Hard to believe, but this is the first Zep I've ever owned on CD, and the only Zep I've owned in close to 20 years (any format). Listened to a bunch in my high school days (mid 80's), and a little in college - but not much since.

Figured I'd dip my toe back in the pool with the BBC material, since I'd never heard it before. Will probably keep my eyes open for a cheap used copy of "How The West Was Won" too.

Also been thinkin' about Robert Plant's first three solo albums too, since I see 'em really cheap all the time (used). Yeah, yeah -- say what you want about that material -- but I'm a child of the 80's, and I'm curious - since I always liked what little Plant solo material I heard on the radio (pre-"Now & Zen").

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Also been thinkin' about Robert Plant's first three solo albums too, since I see 'em really cheap all the time (used). Yeah, yeah -- say what you want about that material -- but I'm a child of the 80's, and I'm curious - since I always liked what little Plant solo material I heard on the radio (pre-"Now & Zen").

I think these got reissued with bonus material, maybe that's why you're seeing the old copies in the bins.

I think these got reissued with bonus material, maybe that's why you're seeing the old copies in the bins.

Yeah, and the only thing keeping me from picking up the cheap used copies is the lingering thought that I should spring for the new ones with the bonus material. Soon as I see the new ones cheap enough (or the old ones REALLY mega-cheap), I'm there. (And the fact I still haven't pulled the trigger yet (in over three months) would tend to favor me waiting to get the remasters with the bonus cuts.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, and the only thing keeping me from picking up the cheap used copies is the lingering thought that I should spring for the new ones with the bonus material. Soon as I see the new ones cheap enough (or the old ones REALLY mega-cheap), I'm there. (And the fact I still haven't pulled the trigger yet (in over three months) would tend to favor me waiting to get the remasters with the bonus cuts.)

hehe...I knew it. :lol: