Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Plus

Tom 1960

e96457o5nrs.jpg

I had the opportunity today catching up on my latest Concord purchases to listen to Cannonball's 1961 release, "Plus". What a great album! While I own at least a half dozen of his solo releases, this album may have jumped to the top of the heap. Cannonball and his fellow band mates are all in excellent form. In particularly brother Nat, who IMO, never sounded better. A few times I had myself saying YEAH!!! That's a big deal for me since I've never been a big admirer of his playing. You also have Wynton Kelly and Victor Feldman on this session. Louis Hayes really does some excellent drum work throughout. I've already played this album twice and can see myself playing this a few more times in the coming days. A real toe tapper/head shaker/finger snappper if you will? I really enjoy this album! Anyone else also own this release and willing to offer some thoughts? If you don't already own this album and enjoy Cannonball's playing, I trust you'll be quite satisfied with this release.

I've had the cd for years. Cannonball was an early favorite of mine when I began my "serious" love affair with jazz. His music has always seemed easy on the ears for a newby, yet still very satisfying on many levels once you've been around the block a few times. I haven't played it in a while so thanks for reminding me of it. I think I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

Some great Cannonball, one of my favorites, up there with "Cannonball Takes Charge" IMHO. I've always liked the first tune "Arriving Soon", also nice takes on Well You Needn't and Star Eyes. Besides the contributions on piano and vibes of Victor Feldman, there's also some great Wynton. How can you go wrong?

Hey, I played a gig at Dillard HS in Ft. Lauderdale last week, that's where Cannonball used to teach!

This one should have been an AOTW. I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up; get it before it goes away, don't think twice!

Cats around KC who worked and hung with Eddie Vinson when he lived here remained fond of playing "Arriving Soon." I remember Frank Smith on piano and Eddie Saunders on tenor tearing this one up in the '80s. Frank's gone now, and Eddie's too sick to play. But the tune always takes me back. (Check out the version on "Cannonball and Cleanhead" too.)

Some great Cannonball, one of my favorites, up there with "Cannonball Takes Charge" IMHO. I've always liked the first tune "Arriving Soon", also nice takes on Well You Needn't and Star Eyes. Besides the contributions on piano and vibes of Victor Feldman, there's also some great Wynton. How can you go wrong?

Hey, I played a gig at Dillard HS in Ft. Lauderdale last week, that's where Cannonball used to teach!

This one should have been an AOTW. I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up; get it before it goes away, don't think twice!

OK, Free........whatever you say. :cool:

As I mentioned in another thread, this album is one of my favorite of Cannonball's primarily because of Arriving Soon. It's a great composition to be sure (another great version on the Cleanhead & Cannonball album)...but this reading of it here borders on magical. This song seems to consistently remain on my mp3 player.

Well, the clips at Amazon convinced me to order it. Lo and behold, J&R had it in stock, so I ordered this and Live at the Lighthouse with the same lineup, IIRC. Will post thoughts when they arrive.

Al, count me as one who'd be interested in your comments concerning the Lighthouse recording. The only difference I see with this recording is the exclusion of Wynton Kelly. Too bad. Again, the real surprise for me on this session is Nat. If this guy played a better session, I'm not aware of it. Great work throughout. :tup

Well, the clips at Amazon convinced me to order it. Lo and behold, J&R had it in stock, so I ordered this and Live at the Lighthouse with the same lineup, IIRC. Will post thoughts when they arrive.

Al, count me as one who'd be interested in your comments concerning the Lighthouse recording. The only difference I see with this recording is the exclusion of Wynton Kelly. Too bad. Again, the real surprise for me on this session is Nat. If this guy played a better session, I'm not aware of it. Great work throughout. :tup

Work Song. Probably my favorite album of Nat's!

Edited by Big Al

The Lighthouse album shows the Adderley quintet at their best, IMHO. Victor Feldman plays some sensational piano on his composition, "Azul Serape".

I agree that Plus is a real gem. While I love his playing, I only have a handful of Adderley albums -- Lighthouse, Somethin' Else, Plus, with Bill Evans ... a couple of others on MP3 -- and this is hands down my favorite of the bunch. Really nice energy throughout.

:tup

All great albums. Also deserving a mention is Portrait of Cannonball with Blue Mitchell, Bill Evans, Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones.