I can't help it. . . .

jazzbo

I can't help it, I'm falling in love with Peggy Lee's singing. . . .

lee_peggy.jpg

I have recently bought "The Singles Collection" and it has fueled my ardor. She just has that timing, that power of interpreting and getting across a message, but most of all that beautiful warm, rich, moving voice. . . .

Yeah, I didn't cut out the doll. . . :)

I DO have the Mosiac, and I have a Capitol anthology, and the Goodman collection, and a Decca anthology, and two Capitol releases. . . . I'll probably try to get the complete first run at Capitol and the complete Decca sides over time.

Yes, the Singles Collection sounds great, it sounds like SINGLES, which I think is appropriate! :o

She was a wonderful musician, yes she was a wonderful MUSICIAN! I really have to say I like the (many) sides with her then husband Dave Barbour probably the best. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

• 1 month later...

Have any of you picked up the new reissue of LATIN ALA LEE that was remixed by Steve Hoffman? I'm a big fan of his remastering and I like checking out the message board on his website.

Here's a link to a thread about the cd on the stevehoffman.tv/forums:

LATIN ALA LEE thread on stevehoffman.tv

I know this probably isn't a jazz session, but is it worth getting?

BTW - I'm still waiting for my Peggy Lee - Singles Collection from BMG. It should come anytime :D

No problem, Lon! Peggy was a great singer. I've liked her since the 50s. I think her hit "Fever" came out in about 59. (Did you guys hear the super version with Jimmy Smith and Kenny Burrell, with two takes?)

Thanks for the movie clip, Maren. "Peg" was one of the best characters in that film. Peggy Lee appeared on the Walt Disney show when they did an episode about the making of that cartoon movie. She was shown recording "He's A Tramp" (the song that "Peg" sang), and also the duet with herself for the Siamese cat song. We saw her record one layer onto an open reel tape deck, and then sing the second part as it was played back. "We are Siamese, if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please!" "I am Si, and I am Am. Put together, we make Siam." Great stuff all round.

About 10 years ago, the Disney Corp. re-released that movie (they are greedy swine, experts at wringing the last drop of income out of anything they own) and did not pay Peggy any royalties, so she took them to court over that one. She was, by then, in poor health; I was disgusted with them.

Check out Peggy's Capitol album THE MAN I LOVE. A little "sleepy" overall, but when it's good, it's VERY good. Arrangements by Nelson Riddle (some of his better work on some of the cuts) shine on "Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe" & "The Folks Who Live On The Hill" (the definitive version of this song I've heard so far, along w/Jimmy Scott's). Peggy's not in her "sassy cool" bag here, but rather is in some kind of wierd "channelling Billie Holliday" zone. It's a mighty good album.

One apparent sad/ugly offshoot of the Peggy Lee vs. Disney lawsuit over "Lady and the Tramp," in which Lee rightly prevailed, is that her name was not mentioned in the "necrology" segment of Oscar broadcast in the year of her death (2002), although the names of a great many other Hollywood figures were, including more than a few less prominent than she was. (Lee was, of course, in addition to "Lady and the Tramp," an Oscar nominee as best supporting actress for "Pete Kelly's Blues.") It's possible that the failure to mention her name on the Oscar broadcast was just a big goof, but I think it's more likely that it was a deliberate act of revenge for her lawsuit.

I'm sure you are right, Lawrence, The Disney Corp. has a lot of money and clout. Old Walt was a freemason, and possibly there's some of that in the company still. Nasty outfit all round - but they sure make high quality stuff. I'd be lying if I said that I have not enjoyed a lot of their output.

Jim, You will realize exactly how evil Disney is when you have a child and suddenly are purchasing more Disney videos than jazz CDs. (believe me it could happen!) When you find yourself singing songs from Cinderella in the shower instead of humming your favorite Larry Young. And when you're planning your third pilgrimage to Orlando in as many years, (not for a Jazz festival but to visit the great rodent who controls our children's minds and souls!!

Right on, Scott!

I'm in that phase right now with my 2 year old. :wacko:

I think he'd be happy if he had just one Dora the Explorer DVD, but we keep buying him more, just so we don't have to watch the same episode over and over and over and over and over and......................................

:P

I sure miss getting to listen to jazz. :(

When I arrived on the Chicago jazz scene in 1966, a story currently circulating was about Peggy's poodle getting lost in her hotel. The story was - her beloved doggie had gone missing and she asembled the hotel staff. She promised a night in bed to the returnee. A lowly janitor returned the dog and was paid.

The poodle story sounds plausible to me. In that vein, does anyone remember when Dizzy Gillespie ran for president in, I think, 1964 and was asked in an interview in Down Beat who the members of his cabinet would be. He said that he would name Peggy Lee as Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare because "she's always so nice to her musicians." (Mingus was his Secretary of Defense.)

I met Lee after a show in the late '70s or early '80s, and the closer you got to her the more indistinct her features became. Or at least that was the effect.

• 9 months later...