Complete(?) O.V. Wright

JSngry

Is there anything else? Maybe some Gospel sides? Still...

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=3fh...p;ref=index.php

wright_ov~~_ovbox5cds_101b.jpg

OV Box -- The Complete Recorded Works By The Boss Of Southern Soul For Backbeat & ABC Labels (5CD set)

OV Wright

$138.99 ... CD 5CD

(€93.71 || £69.51 || ¥14817) (approx.)

CD (Item 469604) P-Vine (Japan), Late 60s/Early 70s -- Condition: New Copy

A treasure trove of work from one of the greatest southern soul singers ever -- and one of the few artists who's never gotten his proper due on the reissue market! OV Wright was a seminal figure in the Memphis scene before the Hi Records soul explosion of the 70s -- an artist who worked with Willie Mitchell, but in a way that was slightly different than the more polished style going down at Hi -- a bit rougher around the edges, and more of a link between the bluesier modes of Memphis in previous years, and the well-crafted soul of the 60s and 70s. Wright's albums on the Backbeat label are always treasured among soul collectors -- but most are nearly impossible to find on both LP or CD. This set wonderfully corrects that mistake, though -- by offering up the albums Memphis Unlimited, A Nickel & A Nail, Nucleus Of Soul, and 8 Men & 4 Women -- plus the later Treasured Moments collection of his earlier Goldwax work -- all presented in LP-styled sleeves, and wrapped up in a beautiful slipcover box with notes! The package is amazing -- almost as mindblowing as finding one of Wright's rare records in mint shape (which is pretty near impossible!) -- and our hat's off to P-Vine for doing such a wonderful job with the whole thing. There's a total of 71 tracks on the 5CD set -- and the artwork is as beautiful as the music!

No way do I have the money for this right now, but DAMN!

Is there anything else? Maybe some Gospel sides? Still...

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=3fh...p;ref=index.php

wright_ov~~_ovbox5cds_101b.jpg

OV Box -- The Complete Recorded Works By The Boss Of Southern Soul For Backbeat & ABC Labels (5CD set)

OV Wright

$138.99 ... CD 5CD

(€93.71 || £69.51 || ¥14817) (approx.)

CD (Item 469604) P-Vine (Japan), Late 60s/Early 70s -- Condition: New Copy

A treasure trove of work from one of the greatest southern soul singers ever -- and one of the few artists who's never gotten his proper due on the reissue market! OV Wright was a seminal figure in the Memphis scene before the Hi Records soul explosion of the 70s -- an artist who worked with Willie Mitchell, but in a way that was slightly different than the more polished style going down at Hi -- a bit rougher around the edges, and more of a link between the bluesier modes of Memphis in previous years, and the well-crafted soul of the 60s and 70s. Wright's albums on the Backbeat label are always treasured among soul collectors -- but most are nearly impossible to find on both LP or CD. This set wonderfully corrects that mistake, though -- by offering up the albums Memphis Unlimited, A Nickel & A Nail, Nucleus Of Soul, and 8 Men & 4 Women -- plus the later Treasured Moments collection of his earlier Goldwax work -- all presented in LP-styled sleeves, and wrapped up in a beautiful slipcover box with notes! The package is amazing -- almost as mindblowing as finding one of Wright's rare records in mint shape (which is pretty near impossible!) -- and our hat's off to P-Vine for doing such a wonderful job with the whole thing. There's a total of 71 tracks on the 5CD set -- and the artwork is as beautiful as the music!

No way do I have the money for this right now, but DAMN!

Nor I, but damn too!

But seriously, this ain't all that good vfm; $2 per track or a pound a track roughly; $28 (or £14) per album. Yes, it'll be superbly presented. And yes, O V Wright was, in my view, the greatest male soul singer. And yes again, this stuff is so good it hurts. And I've only got 18 of the tracks (now) (plus the complete Hi material). And, sure, you're paying for rarity - particularly the Goldwax stuff - but I don't. Someone is trying to make too much money out of this for me.

I'm going to send Hiroshi a note to see if he can do it cheaper.

MG

Let me know what Mr. Tanno says, ok?

Although, I've found in my experience that DG's prices on J-Items are usually "fair" relative to MSRP, moreso than Amazon, CDU, et.al. So the issue is probably w/P=Vine, not DG. But I'd love to be wrong...

And what about O.V. as Gospel singer? How much, if any, is there of that?

Let me know what Mr. Tanno says, ok?

Although, I've found in my experience that DG's prices on J-Items are usually "fair" relative to MSRP, moreso than Amazon, CDU, et.al. So the issue is probably w/P=Vine, not DG. But I'd love to be wrong...

You're probably Wright, but I had to ask.

Not a lot. He was with the Sunset Travelers. This is what it says in the Hayes & Laughton Gospel discography.

O V Wright, who later recorded secular material, is lead on the first two tracks [of PLP122] only and may not be present on the rest of PLP122;
One of those OVW sides uses an alterntive take from the single Peacock 3039 of the same two songs. As far as I can see from a catalogue inside various MCA reissues of Peacock material, MCA never reissued the Sunset Travelers' LP. Someone called Mobile Fidelity has issued the whole of PLP122 on a 2 CD compilation with LP 164 (by Julius Cheeks) and PLP181 (Swan Silvertones materil believed to have been recorded by Vee-Jay but not released by them). Good compilation by the looks of it. That's being offered by four Amazon UK sellers at prices from £87.67 (about $175) to £129.99 ($260). If you want it, you're welcome :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raisin-Roof-Peacoc...ks_all_1#disc_1

MG

Oh, man! There was a box set like this issued about 15 years ago in Japan. But it quickly disappeared. I may have to take the expensive plunge for this one. I have most of this, but it is transferred from LPs very poorly.

What else is there?

There are the Hi recordings, all of which can be obtained on a 2-disc set of the studio recordings and 1 live disc.

e499620eu19.jpge32340kanv0.jpg

There are the Peacock recordings with the Sunset Travelers. There exist about 12 great tracks with O.V. on lead. Most of them actually came out on CD very briefly in the early 90s when MCA experimented with a Peacock reissue series. Now you can get them and more from Opal. :)

There is also his first single made for Goldwax (That's How Strong My Love Is). It sounds like that is on the box.

Edited by John L

Damn. It looks like this baby is already gone at Dusty Groove. I tried to get an order in when it was still there, but have still received no confirmation that they will ship it to me. They have it at Amazon for $310 dollars. That is over $60 a disc!

This is deja vu for me. A set like this came out in Japan around 1990 for about $100. I hestitated due to the price and the fact that I had no idea that the music would not be released again on CD for another 18 years. After a few months of hestiation, it was over. The set was Gone for Good.

Edited by John L

O.V.'s last recordings were with a gospel group called The Luckett Brothers. There was a Japanese reissue of their recordings a few years back which I had but later unloaded. It's pretty sad.

But - check out Opal Louis Nations' site www.pewburner.com. He has a disc available with all of O.V.'s leads with the Sunset Travellers, as well as tons of other incredible stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up on the HMV site... Ordered a copy of this today. When I placed the order, there was a message stating that the order qualified for free shipping. Is this really true? Free shipping all the way from Japan?! Huh...

Sadly not - it is free within Japan.

Hiroshi said that he wasn't able to get this from any of his suppliers so beware if you are sitting on the fence (although he did say he could purchase it from a store he advised getting it from HMV). It does sound as if it was a very limited release.

It is (very) expensive (I think that they could have squeezed it onto three cds) but, as Clem says, it is sublime. I've been walking round singing "I'd rather be blind..." all week long :D

Denis

Abe Vigoda-- yah, we know the Opal Louis scene, for better & worse... a little too much profiteering going on there, alas... HOWEVER, the O.V. is in the building & it's fucking sick. if ya'll own only one soul box set, etc... this is it.

Clem - there's been some discussion, off the board, to the effect that the sound isn't all that good on this box. What's your view on that?

MG

PS Opal made a record in the sixties for UK Decca - if you know him, and want to embarrass him, mention Martin Hummingbird.

Received mine last week. Sound quality and packaging are both excellent. And, as EDC says, the music is incredible.

Yes. I just listened through my box for the first time. Fantastic! The sound quality is indeed excellent. The remastering might sound a bit bright to some, but there is more presence here to O.V.'s vocals than I have ever heard on these sides.

The discs are facsimilies of the original LPs. A couple alternate takes are tacked on to one of them. But it really makes you wonder about what might be sitting in the Duke-Peacock vaults. Has anybody even had the opportunity to look around in those vaults? There could be an incredible goldmine of American music there.

• 1 year later...

I got the box directly from P-Vine, listened to it several times, had a friend listen to it (on his system), and then got rid of it as soon as I could - to my (and my friend's) ears the sound was bad: harsh, too loud with reduced dynamics compared to an older disc I have with some of the same material, and very fatiguing, with bumped highs. I got headaches during the listening sessions.

Your mileage may vary :)

Edited by J.A.W.

I bought this when it was released initially and it is now some of my favourite music. I'm no audiophile but have never felt that there was an issue with the sound - to me it is one of those situations where the music (and O.V.'s voice) shines through, no matter the quality of the remastering. It is expensive but, to my mind at least, phenomenal soul music. Memphis Unlimited is in my Top 5 soul albums of all time.

Each to their own though.

Evidently, Eight Men, Four Women has been available as a single CD for a while - slipped by me.

It's one of those 8-cut MCA Special Product things that was available in truck stops, gas stations, and other such places. I've had it for years, but on cassette.

Because I keep it semi-real like that. ;)

Evidently, Eight Men, Four Women has been available as a single CD for a while - slipped by me.

It's one of those 8-cut MCA Special Product things that was available in truck stops, gas stations, and other such places. I've had it for years, but on cassette.

Because I keep it semi-real like that. ;)

My 8 Men, 4 Women CD (MCA MCAD-20547) has 10 cuts.