Blues albums/collections

sal

I'll just echo two recommendations here of my favorite bluesmen.

Try out some T-Bone Walker. There is an excellent two cd set on Capitol of his Imperial recordings which I see all over the place for about ten to twelve dollars. Just amazing stuff! Even more favored by me are his Black and White sides, which were put out in a Capitol 3 cd set which I have NOT seen anywhere in a long time, more's the pity. Both these sets (and a half dozen other alternates and Freddie Slack Orchestra sides) were on the Mosaic set.

Get some John Lee Hooker! He and T-Bone were both originals that need to be heard. Any of his Modern or his VeeJay or his "Savoy label" sides are well worth having!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second Debra's list. That's some sparkling blues, right there. Throw in a bit of classic 1950s Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Robert Nighthawk, BB King, T-Bone Walker, and you are on your way.

Third, except that I'd hesitate to list the Otis Rush Cobra recordings as highly. Iirc, he kept rehashing the same music with different lyrics, and I believe there are a few alternates as well. I mean, I love his music but its not a little repetitive after a while.

To each their own. This is all a matter of taste. To me the Otis Rush Cobra recordings are seminal electric blues recordings. He revived and rehashed those songs many times in later years, not always with inspired results. I selected the two Otis Rush albums I put on the list with some care, for that reason.

Agreed, but I wasn't referring to rehashing the tunes later on, but to the fact that he rehashed the same music multiple times for that label, in search of another hit, and it grows wearying to hear them one after the other. Its unbelievably great music but for me, it has to be heard in smaller doses than one sitting.

Dan: Maybe you are confusing Otis Rush and Magic Sam's Cobra recordings? Your comments make sense for the latter. As fine as they are, Magic Sam's Cobra recordings are a bit repetitive - "Easy Baby" is essentially recorded various times with different lyrics. But I would not say that about Otis' Cobra recordings. They are quite a varied bunch, and thick with masterpieces: I Can't Quit You, Double Trouble, Checking on My Baby, All Your Love, etc. It's true that there are also a few lighter weight pop tracks thrown in the mix. But the strong tracks are REALLY strong. As good as a number of his later records were, I would say that the Cobra recordings are Otis Rush's greatest legacy, and some of the greatest blues ever recorded.

There are a lot of alternative takes of the Cobra tracks, and some collections present them all in a row. That could also give the impression of monotony. But it would be a false impression. Alternative takes are alternative takes.

I'll second Debra's list. That's some sparkling blues, right there. Throw in a bit of classic 1950s Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Robert Nighthawk, BB King, T-Bone Walker, and you are on your way.

Third, except that I'd hesitate to list the Otis Rush Cobra recordings as highly. Iirc, he kept rehashing the same music with different lyrics, and I believe there are a few alternates as well. I mean, I love his music but its not a little repetitive after a while.

To each their own. This is all a matter of taste. To me the Otis Rush Cobra recordings are seminal electric blues recordings. He revived and rehashed those songs many times in later years, not always with inspired results. I selected the two Otis Rush albums I put on the list with some care, for that reason.

Agreed, but I wasn't referring to rehashing the tunes later on, but to the fact that he rehashed the same music multiple times for that label, in search of another hit, and it grows wearying to hear them one after the other. Its unbelievably great music but for me, it has to be heard in smaller doses than one sitting.

Dan: Maybe you are confusing Otis Rush and Magic Sam's Cobra recordings? Your comments make sense for the latter. As fine as they are, Magic Sam's Cobra recordings are a bit repetitive - "Easy Baby" is essentially recorded various times with different lyrics. But I would not say that about Otis' Cobra recordings. They are quite a varied bunch, and thick with masterpieces: I Can't Quit You, Double Trouble, Checking on My Baby, All Your Love, etc. It's true that there are also a few lighter weight pop tracks thrown in the mix. But the strong tracks are REALLY strong. As good as a number of his later records were, I would say that the Cobra recordings are Otis Rush's greatest legacy, and some of the greatest blues ever recorded.

There are a lot of alternative takes of the Cobra tracks, and some collections present them all in a row. That could also give the impression of monotony. But it would be a false impression. Alternative takes are alternative takes.

I agree with John - I've got the Charly LP of his issued takes, no alternatives, and I think it's fine. I also like the albums he did for Delmark - "So many roads" and "Cold day in hell". Haven't yet got round to the recent Delmark live album. (Suppose I should.)

MG

Here are some wonderful must-have's blues albums that were originally released:

B.B.King - Indianola Mississippi Seeds

41ZY4MRW92L._AA240_.jpg

Jimmy Witherspoon - Goin' To Kansas City Blues

1011.jpg

Howlin' Wolf - Sings The Blues

51G08FANT5L._AA240_.jpg

Otis Rush - Right Place, Wrong Time

31ezoYrKquL._AA170_.jpg

Muddy Waters - The Best Of

51sZSA5ucKL._AA240_.jpg

Sonny Boy Williamson - More Real Folk Blues

51YVWRm5AqL._AA240_.jpg

Junior Wells & Buddy Guy - Hoodoo Man Blues

31zR0oKUVGL._AA170_.jpg

Mississippi John Hurt - Today

41Y8Q3CR4XL._AA240_.jpg

Son House - Father of Folk Blues

41c9Cjdw1BL._AA240_.jpg

Lightnin Hopkins - Lightnin Hopkins (Arhoolie)

51E2JAXCV9L._AA240_.jpg

John Lee Hooker - Live at the Cafe Au-Go-Go

51EreqdTrAL._AA240_.jpg

Johnny Winter - Let Me In

219PXYHKKML._AA181_.jpg

You can't go wrong with these.

Sum it all up with this:

31GRX6WHVSL._AA240_.jpg

I had mentioned in an earlier post that we are fortunate to have B.B. King's earlier albums reissued by Ace. If you had to pick one to start, this is the one I would recommend:

51HDH52NEPL._AA240_.jpg

If you have not heard B.B. King as a young man, I suspect that this CD will be something of a revelation.

But I would not say that about Otis' Cobra recordings. They are quite a varied bunch, and thick with masterpieces: I Can't Quit You, Double Trouble, Checking on My Baby, All Your Love, etc. It's true that there are also a few lighter weight pop tracks thrown in the mix. But the strong tracks are REALLY strong. As good as a number of his later records were, I would say that the Cobra recordings are Otis Rush's greatest legacy, and some of the greatest blues ever recorded.

I agree, essential stuff.

I also second the Son House and Charlie Patton mentioned above. Sadly the only source material for Charlie Patton is off of old vinyl recordings. Sound quality aside its worth hearing.

More recommendations:

Jimmy Reed:

Blues Masters - Best of Jimmy Reed (Rhino) or Jimmy Reed: Best of the Vee-Jay Years (Shout Factory) - Both have similar titles & are readily available.

Lightnin' Hopkins:

Jake Head Boogie (Ace)

Lightnin' & the Blues: The Herald Sessions (Buddah)

Junior Wells: Blues Hit Big Town (Delmark) - His earliest & best recordings - w. Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Johnny Jones, & Otis Spann

Elmore James - There's a ton on great Elmore out there, but The Best of Elmore James - The Early Years (Ace) and The Sky Is Crying - The Best of Elmore James (Rhino) are two very fine ones. The Rhino is an good inexpensive intro to Elmore James.

Buddy Guy: A Man & His Blues (Vanguard) has already been mentioned - very good rec. Either I Was Walkin' Though the Woods or Buddy's Blues are good choices for his Chess sides.

John Lee Hooker: There are several tons of John Lee Hooker available. The Legendary Modern Recordings (Ace) contains many of his best early recordings.

Bobby Bland: The "3B" Blues Boy (Ace) is a great collection of his recordings before he became well known.

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (MCA) is a good collection of his later hits. The Voice - Duke Recordings 1959-69 (Ace) is more expensive, but a better greatest hits collection, imo.

Three great blues pianists:

Otis Spann: Otis Spann Is the Blues (Candid) - Otis Spann's greatest recordings, with the added plus of Robert Lockwood's fine guitar.

Jimmy Yancey:

Complete Recorded Works Volume Two - 1940 - 1943 (Document) - Blues piano doesn't get any more moving than Yancey's two versions of "How Long Blues".

Chicago Piano (Atlantic)

Jelly Roll Morton: Last Sessions (Commodore) - Much of this is comprised of band recordings, plus some jazz/ragtime piano, but there are five bluesy vocals with piano that are as moving as anything as anything you will ever hear. Jelly Roll Morton is usually thought of as a jazz artist, but he was a great blues pianist and vocalist.

Johnny Shines: Evening Shuffle - The Complete JOB Records 1952-53 (Westside) - Wonderful music, and close to being out of print. CD Universe has copies.

Guitar Slim: Suffering Mind (Specialty)

Some pre-WW2 recommendations:

Before the Blues Vols 1-3 (Yazoo) - Great intros to songsters and early blues singers - a few gospel and early country recordings are included, but they're in that tradition and are well worth hearing - Henry Thomas, Mississippi John Hurt, Geeshie Wiley, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Memphis Minnie, Frank Stokes, Tommy McClennan, Luke Jordan, Blind Blake, Evans & McClain, Furry Lewis, Cow Cow Davenport, Barbecue Bob, Willie Walker, and Lottie Kimbrough are just some of the great artists included on the three volumes.

The Best There Ever Was (Yazoo) - Charlie Patton, Son House, Tommy Johnson, Robert Wilkins, Blind Willie Johnson, William Harris, Skip James - The best of the best rural blues performers, & also probably in the best sound you'll hear them.

I Can't Be Satisfied Vol. 1 - Country and Vol. 2 - Town (Yazoo) - Fine intros to the best rural and urban women blues singers (with the exception of Bessie Smith, who is not included).

Ruckus Juice & Chittlins Vols. 1&2 (Yazoo) - Great intros to well known and obscure jug bands - great stuff!

The When the Sun Goes Down series (Bluebird) This is mostly pre-WW2, but extends to post WW2. Mostly blues, w. some jazz, country, r&b, thrown in - compilations of recordings from Victor & Bluebird recordings from the 1920's to the 1950's - too many artists to mention - great music & very fine sound.

Some pre WW2 single artist collections:

The Best of Charlie Patton (Yazoo) - I never really heard Charlie Patton til I listened to this.

Skip James: Complete Early Recordings (Yazoo)

For Skip James' 1960's recordings, I like Today! (Vanguard)

The Best of Blind Blake (Yazoo)

Blind Willie Johnson: Complete Recordings (Legacy) - There are also two volumes on Yazoo - Praise God I'm Satisfied and Sweeter As the Years Go By - same material but perhaps better sound.

Mississippi John Hurt: 1928 Sessions (Yazoo)

For his 1960's recordings, I recommend Today! (Vanguard)

Ma Rainey: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Yazoo)

Bessie Smith: The series on Frog Records

Robert Wilkins: The Original Rolling Stone (Yazoo)

For his 1960's recordings, as Rev. Robert Wilkins, I recommend Remember Me (Genes). His best 1960's record, and imo his best record ever, Reverend Robert Wilkins (Piedmont), has been out of print for many years and has never been available on CD - a shame, because it's a great, great record.

Big Bill Broonzy: The Young Big Bill Broonzy (Yazoo) - There are many Big Bill Broonzy records available. This is just my favorite.

Bukka White - His 1930-1940 recordings are wonderful. Not sure what current recordings contain this material. There's a recording on the Roots label, Parchman Farm Blues, that appears to have all of this on it, but I know nothing about the label.

There are some very good 1960's Bukka White recordings on Mississippi Delta Blues Jam in Memphis Vol. 2 (Arhoolie)

The Best of Frank Stokes (Yazoo)

All of the recommendations that have been posted in this thread are probably overwhelming to Sal. I hope that he's able to take something from all of it and get started collecting and listening to blues.

Edited by paul secor

When Debra mentioned having trouble picking a collection of John Lee's music I thought of the Cafe A Go Go album which I have. I don't know if it's his best or not, because I haven't heard all of his releases *wipes brow*. It is an excellent collection of live music by the man and Muddy's in his band!

Another shout for Muddy's Chess Box and his Folk Singer album. The latter I have on SACD and if you can play it, it is so real sounding you'll think he's in the room with you. Great performance AND sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm dabbling with some Blues lately, I'm not well oriented as to the different sub-types. Lately I've enjoyed albums by Jesse Fuller (Goodtime jazz and Prestige sessions) and rather rawer but more exciting stuff by Robert Pete Williams ( a nice if rather casual LP with Roosevelt Sykes) .

Other than more of these two, any suggestions of where next ? I've a Bukka White Lp on the way following Chuck's nod in his direction.

I'm dabbling with some Blues lately, I'm not well oriented as to the different sub-types. Lately I've enjoyed albums by Jesse Fuller (Goodtime jazz and Prestige sessions) and rather rawer but more exciting stuff by Robert Pete Williams ( a nice if rather casual LP with Roosevelt Sykes) .

Other than more of these two, any suggestions of where next ? I've a Bukka White Lp on the way following Chuck's nod in his direction.

Just read the posts on this thread. Lots of good ways to go. :)

You might like Henry Thomas, Tommy Johnson, Barbecue Bob, Bo Carter, Blind Blake, Tampa Red. I strongly suggest that you visit the Blindman's Blues Forum blues discussion board. They have a whole category on their board devoted to pre-1945 acoustic blues. There is a wealth of information there about specific albums.

Perhaps some of the original accoustic blues greats--Son House, Blind Lemmon Jefferson, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Willie McTell, Charlie Patton, to name a few. (Yazoo collections are usually the best option here.)

And of course there is the fabulous Lonnie Johnson.

1) don't know if its been mentioned, but the Son House Paramounts are, to me, the Rosetta Stone of the modern blues - even more so than Robert Johnson - just my opinion - they are on Yazoo and Document, and other places -

2) look out for the Sun/Memphis Junior Parker sides with Pat Hare - and the James Cotton sides with Pat Hare - if I had to name the single greatest bues guitarists, ridiculously subjective as it might seem, I would pick Hare - a slashing, burning player with great rhythmic imagination - the greatest - one of the few musicians I can listen to every day (and how can you go wrong with a guy who died in prison while doing time for the murder of his girlfriens AND a cop? sort of a two-fer)

also - note that the Junior Parker Sun recordings are among the most signifcant of 1950s "blues" - really more rockabilly/hillbilly than anything else; thinking of Mystery Train and Love My Baby. More reason to check out the whole Memphis scene -

3) and now my favorite - the Reverend Utah Smith - only made 5-6 sides, collected on a JSP and also a Document (great sound on the JSP) - a guitar-playing evangelist, sounds like Jimi Henddrix on one or two things, no kidding, important stuff - plays octaves, too, and a lot of black/white sounds, country-hillbilly and blues at the same time -

4) Goree Carter - though some will disagree, probably the true originator of Chuck Berry's signature riff (even more so than the guy who played with Louis Jordan - Carl Hogan?)

5) Any Wayne Bennett with Bobby Bland - a rhythm master -

6) Mike Bloomfield - the genius of rock/blues, could play anything from straight-on to ragtime/Travis picking -

7) Peter Green - get the Fleetwood Mac BBC recordings to hear how amazing he could be when not sucking on sugar cubes -

8) Frank Hutchison - great hillbilly blues man; JSP and Document -

Edited by AllenLowe

2) look out for the Sun/Memphis Junior Parker sides with Pat Hare - and the James Cotton sides with Pat Hare - if I had to name the single greatest bues guitarists, ridiculously subjective as it might seem, I would pick Hare - a slashing, burning player with great rhythmic imagination - the greatest - one of the few musicians I can listen to every day (and how can you go wrong with a guy who died in prison while doing time for the murder of his girlfriens AND a cop? sort of a two-fer)

Pat Hare's best side for Sun was "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby". He obviously was prescient.

3) and now my favorite - the Reverend Utah Smith - only made 5-6 sides, collected on a JSP and also a Document (great sound on the JSP) - a guitar-playing evangelist, sounds like Jimi Henddrix on one or two things, no kidding, important stuff - plays octaves, too, and a lot of black/white sounds, country-hillbilly and blues at the same time -

Apparently, a number of other Utah Smith sides have been found, and an whole CD is in the works.