Andrew Hill

Morganized

OK, I am listening to this one again, about the 6th time and I admit that I really don't get this one. What am I missing?I generally like Andrew Hill but this one hasn't hit me yet. I even like some of his later work. I think Dusk is very good for instance. For some reason this one is different for me.

I know there are some huge Andrew Hill fans here and I hope they can point out the highlights of this one for me. AMG gives it 4.5 stars so I will plead guilty right up front.(not that I always agree with their ratings)

Seeking your opinions................

Thanks

As much of a Hill nut as I claim to be, I probably haven't listened to his two BN releases from 1989 and 1990 nearly as often as I should.

BUT, I did just listen to "But Not Farewell" (BN, 1990) about two days ago (for the first time in probably almost a year), so now I've got a good excuse to dig out "Eternal Spirit" and give it a good listen too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I purchased this one when it was first released, which was early in my Hill infatuation. At the time I probably only had heard Shades and maybe Point of Departure and Joe Henderson's Our Thing. While IMO it paled considerably to those recordings I nonetheless found it enjoyable at the time. I think my appreciation of this disc was also enhanced by hearing the group perform live at the Knitting Factory around the same time. The writing is not as edgy as on most of Hill's recordings, but I think Hutcherson and Osby played very well throughout. With that said I can admit that it is probably only essential to a Hill fanatic like myself. I think at the time more was made out of Hill's return to Blue Note than anything else.

Edited by relyles