McCoy Tyner - "Cosmos"

Eric

This was a two lp set that came out in the 70s as part of Blue Note's reissue program. In this case, the music was previously unreleased. Three of these tracks were issued on the "Asante" CD, leaving five tracks to be issued (hopefully) in the future on CD.

And what a CD it would make! Three of the tracks are trio with an unobtrusive string quartet (along with Harold Vick on soprano) and the remaining two are straight trio tracks.

The music was recorded in 1969 if memory serves and reminds me of the early Milestone stuff, particularly Sahara and Enlightenment. Very powerful playing by McCoy, with interesting tunes.

I made a CDR burn and enjoy it as much as anything else he has done. Maybe when BN gets around to the Andrew Hill One for One unissued sessions, they can get to this one at the same time.

Eric

Edited by Eric

Yes, this ought to be on CD! But Tender Moments, too, as well as Expansions!

I just found Asante, had no chance to listen yet, but the Blue Notes by Tyner I know (Extensions, Real McCoy, Time For Tyner) are very good! These would make a very nice Mosaic (I'm sure the reasons why this won't (?) happen have been discussed here or elsewhere, but maybe someone knows more?)

ubu

At some point I heard there might be a Mosaic. Tyner is probably hard to justify since he has so much stuff in print - albeit not on Blue Note.

Funny, I started listening to jazz in the lp era. Many of the original Milestones and BNs (on lp) did not seem to capture his sound all that well - maybe because I bought scratchy used lps. My copy of "Cosmos" sounds like crap, maybe VG- even though visually it looks M-. Anyway, the "CD era" has been good to McCoy - I can hear it all now!!!

Eric

I agree with you Eric, this stuff should be reissued on CD - I have the old BN vinyl 2-fer and love that music. I'm almost certain Mosaic will eventually do a complete Tyner BN box, it would be a guaranteed strong seller I'd think and the music is top notch.

Given that, I wonder if perhaps Mr. Tyner has something to do with the current situation that so many of his BN classics are OOP and that no Mosaic has appeared yet...maybe he doesn't want a box competing with his frequent new recordings and is waiting for the proper time for it to be released? Certainly Cuscuna works with living artists to varying degrees in producing BN reissues (e.g. as with honoring Andrew Hill's request for which date to reissue) and Mosaic sets (e.g. respecting Randy Weston's request that DESTRY RIDES AGAIN not be included in the recent Mosaic Select), and would probably honor such a request. Just speculation, but I wonder...

I've e-mailed Mosaic about doing a McCoy set several times, and I know they've replied that it is on their list of things to do, one of these days...

How many discs of material (at roughly 75 minutes per disc) are we talking about, to include the COMPLETE Tyner-lead recordings for BN???

Maybe a "Select", possibly???

Well:

TIME FOR TYNER

TENDER MOMENTS

THE REAL McCOY

EXPANSIONS

EXTENSIONS

ASANTE

the COSMOS stuff

Other than ASANTE, which is basically two LP's worth of material, the rest are short - 40 minutes or so each. So I'd say probably 5 or at most 6 discs worth...it would be nice if there was some previously unissued material, but probably not.

I doubt they would include Tyner's later BN's from the 80's/early 90's (IT'S ABOUT TIME with Jackie McLean, THINGS AIN'T WHAT THEY USED TO BE, REVELATIONS, SOLILOQUY, and MANHATTAN MOODS (w/ Bobby Hutcherson).

Also burned myself a copy of Dimensions from the early 80s on Elektra/Musician. I had never really listened to this much, was "afraid" of the violin action (John Blake). Well, it turns out this is an outstanding session too. Gary Bartz is also on it and there is a ton of McCoy doing his thing. This probably *never* makes it to CD, along with a bunch of other good stuff from that label. Too bad - worth checking out!

Eric

Edited by Eric

It certainly would be a nice pair for the first 2004 Connoisseur batch:

McCoy Tyner - Cosmos

Andrew Hill - One For One

But there is more unreleased Andrew Hill material from around the time of theses sessions, so maybe a different pairing of sessions would be appropriate.

What about the unreleased last Shorter Blue Note session with Tyner etc. mentioned on the BNBB or here before?

I'd buy any of these without hesitation.