Johnny Hodges and Grant Green? Really?

Jams_Runt

Hodges and Wild Bill Davis cut a couple of albums for Verve that had Grant Green on them. Sounds like it could be a repackage of these.

Lonehill do love to re-attribute things, possibly hoping Green is a more marketable name than Davis.

I remember when I first stumbled across one of these Verves, having had no idea that Grant had recorded as a sideman with Rabbit. But I didn't need to wonder aloud whether or not it would be good. I grabbed it and put it on the stereo as soon as I got home. :g

Okay, here's why I asked--I'm a little skeptical of Lonehill-- I thought it was one of those labels like Gambit that releases stuff in a questionable manner legally and morally, and I saw the recording was from 1966, and Grant Green certainly loses me around that time, I thought it might be one of those sessions that might only be awesome on paper. I'll add it to the list as I have some cds I want to sell at Amoeba.

Is there a legitimate CD issue of these sessions?

Bertrand.

My 2 cents - If Lonehill has a good reissue - get it! If the legit label ever issues it - get that also.

Yes, that's by now my policy, too - and those Hodges/Davis releases are on my list...

Yes, there are five discs in four volumes that have these and also a few non Davis Hodges albums.

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=118

Thanks Lon. A bit of a mish-mosh but it seems to be what I want. Pity they didn't include the LP Hodges did with Billy Gardner and Jimmy Ponder - "Rippin' & runnin'". Can't have everything, I guess.

I see they're out of stock at present, for which my savings account is grateful :) (And my source for Ghanaian records will be, too :D)

MG