Creedence Clearwater Revival

jmjk

I guess there's a bit of sentimentality here.

I used to sit at the stereo and listen to my Dad's CCR LPs through the headphones when I was 9 or 10 years old. "I Put a Spell on You" scared the hell out of me, and that made it all the more appealing. Fogerty's extended solos on "Spell", "Effigy" and "Susie Q" transported me to other places. Maybe I ended up loving King Crimson, Yes and Genesis as a teenager because I found those same elements of musical travel, and enjoyed the detached feeling of being taken on a journey to christ knows where---and maybe as a result, Coltrane's LPs weren't so far out of reach a few years later. Thanks, Dad!

Almost all of CCR's 20-bit K2 remastered catalog is available for next to nada; I picked up most of it for $3.99 per disc recently. It's been great re-discovering a lot of this music, which, aside from the FM radio staples, I really haven't heard in almost 30 years.

I used to sit at the stereo and listen to my Dad's CCR LPs through the headphones when I was 9 or 10 years old. "I Put a Spell on You" scared the hell out of me, and that made it all the more appealing. ..... Thanks, Dad!

Same story here, except that my dad's record was WILLY & THE POOR BOYS. That record confused me because I didn't know if that was the name of the band or the name of the record!

I got the box which is essentially the K2's crammed into a box. I love that music as much today as I did when I was a kid. Although I have to say, as much as I love the CDs, I still love dad's old crackly scratchy record (what can I say? I was three when I first heard this record! We looked at some old slides the other night and there are pictures of me when I was a baby and there are records all over the floor. I about had a heart attack! :blush::alien::excl::wacko::rcry:o:w )

CCR is OK I guess. After a lifetime of hearing their hits, I sure am sick of them (the hits).

John Fogerty grew up in the SF Bay area. Where did he get that accent from? Is that a real accent or is it a phony one he adopted for the music?

They were at the peak of their popularity when I first started listening to music attentively c.1970. 'Bad Moon Rising' was a hit. I had a friend who was obsessed by them and I reacted the other way - too American for my ears at the time.

But I came round to enjoying them much later (though never beyond the best ofs) - I like that rough, chunky, barroom sound now. Some great individual songs.

Big CCR fan here, mostly of their early recordings. I was fortunate enough to see them live at the height of their powers here in Portland. I believe The Grassroots opened. Like others, Susie Q and I Put A Spell On You still fascinate me. Quintessential air guitar material. If you count yourself in their corner, I would recommend giving John Fogerty's newest a listen. Not for nothing is it called Revival . Lots of the old CCR sound threads it's way though this one. Far and away his strongest solo effort. Two Z snaps.

Up over and out.

First LP I ever bought was Green River back in 1970, so I guess I'm a long time fan of the group. I love their stuff on records, and it was (and still is) always a joy to hear them on the radio. I'd have to say they were the ultimate singles band, delivering great music on a 45 when a lot of "hits" were bubblegum crap. You know, like every other time period since the fifties...

I used to sit at the stereo and listen to my Dad's CCR LPs through the headphones when I was 9 or 10 years old. "I Put a Spell on You" scared the hell out of me, and that made it all the more appealing. ..... Thanks, Dad!

We looked at some old slides the other night and there are pictures of me when I was a baby and there are records all over the floor. I about had a heart attack! :blush::alien::excl::wacko::rcry:o:w )

The earliest gift I ever remember getting was my own record player. Dad's 45rpm copy of Three Dog Night's "Eli's Comin'" sat nicely along side the Mickey Mouse records.

Edited by jmjk

John Fogerty grew up in the SF Bay area. Where did he get that accent from? Is that a real accent or is it a phony one he adopted for the music?

The latter. Sounds good, though. They were a great band.

He was on a couple of talk shows recently promoting his new album and he talks with the accent then too. :blink::ph34r:

He was on a couple of talk shows recently promoting his new album and he talks with the accent then too. :blink::ph34r:

I recall hearing him interviewed on "Fresh Air" a number of years ago, and Terry Gross asked him if he actually pronounces the words "turning" and "burning" as "toinin'" and "boinin'" like he does when he sings "Proud Mary." He said no, he does not.

You sure don't come by that accent just growing up in El Cerrito.

I must admit, when I first got into CCR (like many things, in undergrad college) I had to get used to Fogarty's voice first. But it was worth it. How many bands were as good a rock singles band as Creedence? Only a handful, at most.

Fogerty's 'swamp rock' shtick is an annoying affectation and there are other aspects of his personality I don't care for either, but CCR were a great singles band and it was his vision and songwritting that made them so... I think "Lodi" sounds the most like his real life, being pissed at having to play for drunks, but he found a way out so more power to him. The band sound fine when they keep things short and to the point, but when they try to stretch out the're one short step from Iron Butterfly ineptitude, IMHO.

The band sound fine when they keep things short and to the point, but when they try to stretch out the're one short step from Iron Butterfly ineptitude, IMHO.

Suzy Q?

Fogerty's solo in Susie Q is still a CCR high point for me, don't care if the band sounds inept, IMHO.

Fogerty's 'swamp rock' shtick is an annoying affectation and there are other aspects of his personality I don't care for either, but CCR were a great singles band and it was his vision and songwritting that made them so... I think "Lodi" sounds the most like his real life, being pissed at having to play for drunks, but he found a way out so more power to him. The band sound fine when they keep things short and to the point, but when they try to stretch out the're one short step from Iron Butterfly ineptitude, IMHO.

To my ears, perhaps not inept, but boring. They were a singles band, and there's nothing wrong, and a whole lot right, with that.

Thanks to this thread, I've had Creedence songs running through my head for the past couple of days. Nothing wrong with that either, except I'm getting tired of it.

To my ears, perhaps not inept, but boring. They were a singles band, and there's nothing wrong, and a whole lot right, with that.

Thanks to this thread, I've had Creedence songs running through my head for the past couple of days. Nothing wrong with that either, except I'm getting tired of it.

For me it's been Earth Wind and Fire! :cool:

As a fan of early rock and roll, I kinda enjoyed CCR for their rootsy sound. However I must point out that the original Screamin' Jay Hawkins version of 'I Put A Spell On You' is vastly better (IMHO). CCR is so overplayed on oldies radio that they can get a little tiresome (why don't these shows ever play the ORIGINAL 'I Put A Spell On You' or 'Suzie Q'!!).

I've caught a few Fogerty concerts on tv, and yes, he is a great entertainer.

However I must point out that the original Screamin' Jay Hawkins version of 'I Put A Spell On You' is vastly better (IMHO). CCR is so overplayed on oldies radio that they can get a little tiresome (why don't these shows ever play the ORIGINAL 'I Put A Spell On You' or 'Suzie Q'!!).

I have the 45 of "Susie Q" and it is a two-minute definition of what rock & roll is all about: ballsy, menacing, loud, destructive, etc. I love the CCR version, but it doesn't even come close to the original.

I completely agree that I'd much rather hear the original "I Put a Spell On U" and "Suzie Q" (or the Stones' cover where the first guitar break is shear ineptitude and the second great, and the're largely the same riffs). When CCR's "Grapevine" comes on I usually listen to where it should've ended, then switch stations... Interesting that they never covered Slim Harpo (did they?) 'ccause I hear it in their sound, a lot... "It Came Out of the Sky" has a funny reference to then gov Reagan.

Edited by danasgoodstuff