BEACH BOYS concert memories

I saw them around the time of Holland. Brian wasn't with them but they had a huge band including Ricky Fatar (sp?) and The Captain. It was at Massey Hall (yes, that Massey Hall)on a t summer night so hot they opened all the doors and the audience acted like they were at an outdoor concert. The show was terrific, though Mike Love seemed like an asshole. The crowd was so wound up that a friend of mine described the vibe as "sing Good Vibrations or we'll kill you".

Was a HUGE fan in my teens and early 20s, but never saw them live. To me, the records were what they were about. By the time I was old enough to go to concerts, they had essentially become an oldies act, and weren't doing much that interested me. After Dennis died in 1983, I kind of regretted not seeing them, but by then it seemed too late. I did end up seeing Brian on the Smile tour, which was closer to my ideal of a Beach Boys concert than what the group was doing for past few decades.

One other note on the Beach Boys live:

Around the time of their comeback, circa 15 Big Ones/Love You, there was an NBC TV special. This would have been summer 1975 or 76. I don't think this has been released in its entirety, but clips have been recycled for subsequent documentaries. Anyway, the live footage included in the show featured THEE ABSOLUTE WORST sound and singing I have ever heard in any live Beach Boys clip from before or after. Voices were cracking, and they were woefully out of tune. (I have an audio cassette someplace to prove it). I was 11 or 12 at the time, and this played a huge role in discouraging me from seeing them live. It was only later that I realized how good they were capable of sounding in concert (as evidenced on the Reprise live double album). Amazing that anyone from the group signed off on using this footage.

I saw them twice in distinctly different configurations. The first time had to have been in '64 or '65 at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis., Oregon. That was the original band with the striped shirts and everything. Wish I remembered more about the concert, but I was probably so awe struck that my memories were all but wiped clean. The second concert was at the old Paramount Theater in Portland. That had to have been around the time of their Holland album (a very underrated effort IMO). As much as I hate to admit it, my overriding memory of that show is the fact that Billy Joel opened. Not that I like Joel that much, but at the time, no one had ever even heard of him. It might have even been pre-Piano Man.

Up over and out.

DAVE JAMES IS THE WINNER! Damn you saw them at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis., Oregon in 64 or maybe 65? Damn! If it was late 65 then it would of been w/ glen campbell on bass. that is nuts.

and TEASING THE KOREAN:

you gotta hear this bootleg of the 1977 CBS records record convention (london)- where the BBs do a full concert with lots of LOVE YOU material-- its absouetly insanely good- not only to the play all the great LOVE YOU material (highly underrated album), but they bring back some of their old hits they didnt play AT ALL in the mid 60s thru early 70s, eg, "Catch a Wave" was brought back

...and TEASING THE KOREAN:

you gotta hear this bootleg of the 1977 CBS records record convention (london)- where the BBs do a full concert with lots of LOVE YOU material-- its absouetly insanely good- not only to the play all the great LOVE YOU material (highly underrated album), but they bring back some of their old hits they didnt play AT ALL in the mid 60s thru early 70s, eg, "Catch a Wave" was brought back

Interesting.

I always thought a good time to hear them would have been in the late 60s, as evidenced on the 1969 Live in London album.

I also saw them in OR during the striped shirt period, they were in Ashland to film Where the Action Is at the Ski lodge on Mt. Ashland. Don't remember musch, concert was at the college gym, lots of opening acts, also saw Ellington, the Ventures and the Dillards in Ashland. Not bad for a little logging town (shich it still was then, now is different).

Chewy here's your chance to make your very own BB concert memories!!!

Legal deal restores good vibrations to Beach Boys

By Steve Gorman1 hour, 44 minutes ago

An out-of-court settlement has restored good vibrations among the three surviving original members of the Beach Boys, an attorney involved in the case said on Thursday.

The agreement, reached on Wednesday after two days of talks mediated by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge, put to rest years of litigation stemming from a dispute between Al Jardine and his ex-bandmates over the group's name, which defined the California surf sound of the 1960s.

Jardine -- a co-founder of the band with brothers Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson and their cousin, Mike Love -- had been touring under such names as "Beach Boys Family & Friends" until a federal judge ruled in 2000 he was engaging in trademark infringement.

The decision affirmed Love's claim as the sole licensee of the "Beach Boys" name under a deal he negotiated with the band's corporate entity, Brother Records Inc, in 1998.

A U.S. appeals court upheld that ruling in 2003, again siding against Jardine in the case brought by Love, Brian Wilson and the estate of Carl Wilson, who died of cancer in 1998. Dennis Wilson drowned in 1983.

Love and the Carl Wilson estate sued Jardine again on behalf of Brother Records in 2004 seeking $2.2 million in legal fees spent in the original litigation against him.

It was that case, set for trial next month, that was settled this week, said Carla DiMare, who represents the Carl Wilson estate, consisting of his two sons, Justyn and Jonah.

"The parties amicably settled," she told Reuters, adding that terms of the agreement were confidential.

"Mr. Love and ... Mr. Jardine are looking forward to bringing more great Beach Boys music to the United States and around the world, particularly as they approach their 50th anniversary," DiMare said.

Love and Jardine both attended the settlement conference, spending the first day in court chatting and occasionally singing lines from the Beach boys hit "Help Me Rhonda" and other songs while attorneys met with the judge in chambers. Brian Wilson also attended for part of the first day.

All three are shareholders of Brother Records, along with the Carl Wilson Estate.

Founded in suburban Los Angeles in the early 1960s, the Beach Boys reigned for several years as America's leading pop group with such hits as "I Get Around," "Surfin' U.S.A.," and "Good Vibrations."

(Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Peter Cooney)

Anyone who would compare the Beach Boys in their prime to the Little River Band is......missing a lot. as is anyone who doesn't get that said prime was a long time ago and isn't coming back.

Chewy,

Sorry to not reply sooner. Yes, I did live in Ashland, OR '63-66, ages 8-11. Then I moved to saskatoon, SK, CND where my aged parents and one survivng brother still live, but that's another story...

I Get Around,

Dana

Anyone who would compare the Beach Boys in their prime to the Little River Band is......missing a lot. as is anyone who doesn't get that said prime was a long time ago and isn't coming back.

Chewy,

Sorry to not reply sooner. Yes, I did live in Ashland, OR '63-66, ages 8-11. Then I moved to saskatoon, SK, CND where my aged parents and one survivng brother still live, but that's another story...

I Get Around,

Dana

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Big thumbs up for the Wilson brothers. Little River Band in no way compares. They are involved in some similar issues about naming rights or something. Badly communicated irony.

Hope you get better soon too chewy!