BIG John Patton Is Da Shit

Soulstation1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up iron city yesterday.

i've listened to alot of bjp lately and the organ playing on iron city isn't in the patton mode. i could be wrong.

ss1

There was a thread on the old BNBB that talked about this; I believe the eventual consensus was that it was actually Larry Young, not John Patton. Someone reported that BJP at one time said, something to the effect of, "Man, how could anyone think that me & Larry sound the same? Of course that's Larry. Breaks my heart that people can't recognize him," or something like that; like he felt that he was getting undeserved credit for Larry's playing.

Either way, BJP is still da man!!!!

i've been spinning the natural soul rvg the last couple days

I've always felt sorry for ol' Lou: having his show stolen from him by Patton & Green gettin' in the pocket & dueling to the death!

Green and Pattoncontinuing their duel to the death. They had an ongoing duel spanning several sessions. :)

i've been spinning the natural soul rvg the last couple days

I've always felt sorry for ol' Lou: having his show stolen from him by Patton & Green gettin' in the pocket & dueling to the death!

Green and Patton continuing their duel to the death. They had an ongoing duel spanning several sessions. :)

:tup:tup:tup

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

i got to say i do not like "the yodel".

something about that rhythm i don't like...

seems sort of constricting-too tight.

i do really like the version of "amanda" on the same album though, as well as the rest of the album though it is not as progressive-sounding as i thought it would be.

i also have to say that i feel that patton always uses this one lick a little too much for me-sort of an upward moving triplet kind of thing.

that being said i find many of his BN albums among the most interesting albums i have heard in the mid to late sixties organ sort of mode (i find lou donaldson's albums in the sam vein very dull for instance)

is the beginning of "the rock" (the first 15 seconds) on the 07/28/2003 jrvg of the way i feel also muffled?

thanks

ss1

NO! :tup

Someone needs to give old Mosaic a good talking too unless of course the Select is taken from the original "stretched" tapes and the JRVG is taken from something else all together. And as good a sound translation as the mini-lp of "Oh, Baby!" And I'm not one for the RVGs anyhoo.