Tattoo

I was in an amazing tattoo shop a few days ago and it got me thinking again about tattoos. I don't have any ink, or piercings for that matter, I don't wear jewelry (other than the wedding ring) and that includes watches, but I have always had an interest in tattoo.

Do any of you guys have tattoos? What do you have? Who designed it? Where is it? Who did the work? Do you regret it? Has it changed much as your body has gotten older? How much time was spent in the chair? How much did it cost you?

Questions?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 tattoos. I got the first one 15 years ago and the second one 12 years ago. They're not as crisp as they were when I first got them, but they still look good. I'm not worried about them bleeding together because I believe the modern inks don't bleed like the old ones did.

The first tattoo was on my left upper arm and it is a Native American Medicine Wheel. I designed both of them myself myself. My second tattoo is on my right calf and it is an Ouroboros (which is a snake swallowing itself). I used to be quite the uber-pagan.

It's funny now because my tattoos have nothing to do with my beliefs now. Sometimes I think they trip people out sometimes in the circles I travel in. If I had the choice to do it over again, I wouldn't. It's not that I'm ashamed or anything, but I just don't see the need for them. They served a purpose for me back then, but mostly they function as a bookmark for a time in my life. Permanent is a long time. :P

:rsmile:

No tatoos nor jewelry.

Me either. I can't even stand to wear my wedding ring. My wife gives me the "you don't love me" speach! I console her by having it on my keychain and it's been there for 10 years, never wore it! Fortunately I have a job that I can justify not wearing it, I work in the power industry. Never mind that my watch is metal but don't tell her that! :w

I have better uses for my Money! ;) If anyone ever feels tempted, just think about the Mosaic set(s) you could get for the moola! You can sell a mosaic set down the road if you need the dough, try doing that with your wrinkled old hide! Though I have heard that if you are covered head to toe in tats, you can sell your hide when you die to.....some organization....my mind is like an encyclopedia it is...... :winky:

Edited by BERIGAN

It's funny that men are put off by wearing a wedding ring. I thought it would fuck me up too since I'm a musician and any change in my hands is instantly noticeable.

For the first three months I felt like I had a bandaid on constantly. I used to take it off in the shower and futz around with it all the time.

Now, after over a year, I don't notice it at all. We are creatures of habit. If you just wore it, you'd get used to it eventually.

No tatoo here. Like several here, no watch, and I wear my wedding ring, only jewelry I have EVER owned unless you want to call a tie clasp jewelry. . .

I'm not opposed to tatoo acquiring, but can't imagine what I would like to have on me that I would want on me as long as I breathe, and I have no real desire to have any ink on me. . . . Plus my wife hates them, so I know what's good for me!

I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have the red Miles Davis silhouette done at a decent size. That is something more recent.

For a long time now, I've had this image of a tattoo depicting Eric Dolphy's "The Madrig Speaks, The Panther Walks" in a Rousseau Tiger/Buffalo world. It would just be a block of ink, framed like a snapshot. Who knows. Just wondering...

i currently have six. i got my first one in 1977 while assigned to my first PDS in the Bay Area. it's a dragon on my left forarm. i waited many years until my second tattoo, a large tribal hammerhead shark on the outside of my right calf. next came a large phoenix on the outside of my left calf, then a fairly large peice on my left shoulder/upper arm. it consists of a rose(wife), crysanthimum(daughter #10, and lotus blossom(daughter#2). next came a sun with a Hopi-ish center design in the middle as a right shoulder cap. last year i had a back peice done. took 17 hours in all (4 seperate sessions). it's 3 sunflowers with my Kanji (G*d-strength-beauty) incorporated into the design.

november 4th i'll begin filling in my right calf/leg. more hammerheads and an underwater seascape. with the exception of my first tattoo, all the work has been done by one tattooist, and all the work is custom.

I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have the red Miles Davis silhouette done at a decent size

from the Round About Midnight LP? i've wondered about that one myself. i think it's a great idea.

My wife has two tattoos, one on the ankle and one on the small of her back- flower/butterfly kind of stuff. She's gotten one a year for the last two years. I figure in about 10 years she'll be a biker chick.

Me, I have none- you can't make me get near needles of any kind! :o

jacman, yours sound pretty interesting..............

My wife has two tattoos, one on the ankle and one on the small of her back- flower/butterfly kind of stuff. She's gotten one a year for the last two years. I figure in about 10 years she'll be a biker chick.

FFA, having met your wife at a the WEA gig a couple weeks ago, I would have never guessed her to have any tattoos, let alone multiple ones. Then again, that just goes to show how you can't judge a book...

I don't have any tattoos myself (nor does my wife), but I have given it a little thought, every now and then. Trouble is that I'm kind of a lard-ass (about 25-40 lbs overweight), and all the tattoo subject I'd consider having done would be on a 'canvas' that wouldn't really be worth putting them on.

If I was even the least bit svelte looking, I might half-way consider getting one. Then again, what to get??? Maybe a music-related design of some sort? Nah... I’d be more likely to get a small reproduction of some design element by Frank Lloyd Wright (y’all know who he is, I assume), Charles Rennie Macintosh (an important Scottish architect based primarily in Glasgow, who was similar to FLW in some ways), or perhaps Louis Sullivan (famous and important Chicago architect, whom FLW apprenticed under) --- all three of whom were important architects between 1875 and 1950 (roughly speaking).

In any case, something related to architecture or industrial design. Probably not the most typical subject matter for a tattoo, I’m sure.

FFA, having met your wife at a the WEA gig a couple weeks ago, I would have never guessed her to have any tattoos, let alone multiple ones.  Then again, that just goes to show how you can't judge a book...

Yeah, she's not the type you'd expect to do something like that. In college while I was jamming and skipping classes, she was in the library studying. Thank goodness one of us took the book-learnin' seriously. She has such a straight-ahead personality in every way, I think this was her way of being a little wild. I'm all for wild. :)

Charles Rennie Macintosh (an important Scottish architect based primarily in Glasgow, who was similar to FLW in some ways), or perhaps Louis Sullivan (famous and important Chicago architect, whom FLW apprenticed under) --- all three of whom were important architects between 1875 and 1950 (roughly speaking).

I don't think I saw those in the example book I was looking at. :huh:

Imagine- you're at the gym showering and someone says "Wow, is that a Charles Rennie Macintosh, or are you just glad to see me?".

How about a permanent Rooster tie?