MLB 2008

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I gave up after 8 and went to bed! I just busted open a bottle of Champagne on the front lawn to celebrate (literally!). NO MORE JULIO FUCKING LUGO!!!!!!!!!

banana1.gif

Wow , you are guys are TOUGH !

Dan , how has Lowrie performed down on the farm ?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I gave up after 8 and went to bed! I just busted open a bottle of Champagne on the front lawn to celebrate (literally!). NO MORE JULIO FUCKING LUGO!!!!!!!!!

banana1.gif

Wow , you are guys are TOUGH !

Dan , how has Lowrie performed down on the farm ?

.268 or something overall, just .200 in July. He was probably depressed because he kept seeing Lugo suck it up yet he wasn't getting the call.

Seriously, remember that Masterson wasn't overwhelming the first or second time he was sent down. A lot of good players don't destroy the competition when they get sent down from the big club. In 42 ABs he hit .310 and had an OPS+ of 112. That makes him 12% better than the average major leaguer at On Base + Slugging, with park effects negated. Four seasons in the minors, his OPS is 827. Julio Lugo didn't OPS .827 in Little League.

Lowrie's bat is ultimately going to remind you of Pedroia, without the gigantic swing or the cockiness that goes with it. And if you think he'll be subpar with the glove, think about it this way: With Lugo, when he made an error that led to runs, the odds of him making it up with the bat were tiny. If Lowrie makes errors that lead to runs, there will be a halfway decent chance that he will make up for it with the bat.

Then add on the fact that he won't hurt with the glove like Lugo and will help with the bat in a completely un-like Lugo way, and its a huge improvement. HUGE!

I'm stuck in some recurring nightmare in Cleveland ... :ph34r:

It sure looks that way. How much do you chalk up to things averaging out in the end - the Indians were due for some wins and the Rays were due for some losses - and how much is it young guys starting to press? At this point you figured that the Rays wouldn't want to have to take three days off but now it can't come soon enough to clear their heads, get some rest and start fresh.

And in the meantime, the Sox bats finally supported the criminally neglected Wakefield. In his last nine starts, he hasn't pitched less than seven, he's got an ERA under 2 and a BAA under 2. Its streaks like these when I say "2009?" "Sure, bring Wake back!"

And even better news, Ortiz now has a time frame for his return - just in time for the Yankee series at the end of the month. He took batting practice against the ball machine, set on high speed, and did fine - check swings, swing and misses, and presumably, hitting the ball. So he goes to the ASB, then a three game assignment at Pawtucket and a three game assignment at AA. And then the Yankees. :crazy::excited:

How fitting that Gomes scores the first run of the game ... on back-to-back walks.

BTW: I can't help but notice on these Indians broadcasts, there's either an unusually large number of attractive women who attend Cleveland games, or they have a camera devoted to tracking them down in the stands. Either way ... :tup

Edited by papsrus

How fitting that Gomes scores the first run of the game ... on back-to-back walks.

BTW: I can't help but notice on these Indians broadcasts, there's either an unusually large number of attractive women who attend Cleveland games, or they have a camera devoted to tracking them down in the stands. Either way ... :tup

Kazmir versus Sowers. Rays should be really disappointed if they don't take this one. Organization is still quite high on Sowers, and he's shown some flashes in the past, but like so many Indians this year, he has been brutal filling in for Westbrook/Carmona.

Tied after 3 with fairly high pitch counts for both starters. Sowers issuing free passes like it's going out of style--just walked the top two hitters in the lineup. yikes. (He does have 6K's through 3). And Upton makes it 7, thanks.

Wow. What a meltdown for the Rays. The awesome combination of Sowers/Mastny/Mujica/R Perez/Kobayashi retire the last 17 Rays in order. If Sowers hadn't walked 7, it might have been a shutout. But as bad as the offense was, I put this one on Kazmir, 6IP, 5ER against a really anemic offense (And let's be clear here: Andy Marte of the .177 BA was batting 7th, Sal Fasano 8th, and Franklin Gutierrez (.216 BA), 9th). Andy Marte, the supposed key to that great Coco Crisp trade, had his first RBI of the season with a solo shot. Looks like he needs to get on a bit of a hot streak to catch up to CC Sabathia in the RBI department.

But it's just one game for the Rays, and extended spring training for the Tribe.

Wow. What a meltdown for the Rays. The awesome combination of Sowers/Mastny/Mujica/R Perez/Kobayashi retire the last 17 Rays in order. If Sowers hadn't walked 7, it might have been a shutout. But as bad as the offense was, I put this one on Kazmir, 6IP, 5ER against a really anemic offense (And let's be clear here: Andy Marte of the .177 BA was batting 7th, Sal Fasano 8th, and Franklin Gutierrez (.216 BA), 9th). Andy Marte, the supposed key to that great Coco Crisp trade, had his first RBI of the season with a solo shot. Looks like he needs to get on a bit of a hot streak to catch up to CC Sabathia in the RBI department.

But it's just one game for the Rays, and extended spring training for the Tribe.

7 straight down the tubes. The Rays had a shot to be the first team other than the Yankees or Sox since the 1993 Blue Jays to be in first in the AL East at the All-Star break. Only way that happens now is if the Sox blow a late lead against the O's. <_<

I was half listening to Kalas interview some Rays front office guy who claimed they were ready to be very aggressive ahead of the trade deadline but that teams were asking for too much in return (didn't mention any players by name, but I'm reassured. I'd rather they ride the rest of this year with what they have than deal away a Price, even if they do go in the tank).

Price is as untouchable as any young player who has established himself in the majors already, like Ellsbury or Lineceum or Chamberlain. But the Rays have other talent - a ton of it in fact - in the minors to offer. There will be deals to be made by the time the deadline arrives.

Obviously I was wrong with my extreme pessimism of a week ago, but who would have predicted that the Rays would go from red hot to ice cold so quick? And the same thing that happened to give the Rays a sizable bulge - Rays hot, Sox cold - reversed itself too. That's what has hurt them so much, the way almost every loss cut into their lead just as every win gave them a bigger lead before.

Of course, I don't want to jinx the Sox, who should be up by about six runs right now instead of only two.

Just got a chance to watch the Derby I recorded (When I got home around 11, I was very confused as to why it was still on-and that Justin Morneau was the one to win it) and I've got to say....wow. WOW!!!! :excited: It was fairly interesting all the way thru, but then seeing Hamilton come up, and you know there had to have been pressure on him, what with him dreaming of doing this...and to put on a show like that, just amazing!!!!! Everyone at ESPN was talking about how different the ball sounded off his bat than anyone elses( I heard Milton Bradley saying that to his fellow Ranger teammates as well) I still can't get over how utterly effortless his swing appears.

I also heard Rick Reilly(Never heard of the guy before, sue me! Never been a fan of SI) bring up the crying shame that Yankee stadium was soon to be no more, and all the big non baseball events played there....glad to hear him have the guts to say that....Then he had to whine about the HR contest being all white, looking like a kiwanis club meeting. :rolleyes: He neglected to point out Vlad was afraid of injury, and A-Rod is a pussy, and wouldn't do it. Would he have felt compelled to say it was a damn shame if there wasn't a white guy in the contest????

I took this picture of Josh Hamilton during today's parade of the All-Stars on 6th Avenue. He got a huge reaction from the fans along the route.

2671700835_7e4a492d8a.jpg

This guy is a super nice story. His exhibition last night was unreal. I didn't see it live, but the highlights were a good 15 minutes long at least.

Why did they allow Boggs to wear a Yankee cap when he went into the Hall with a Red Sox cap???

I mean seriously. Yeah, its Yankee Stadium. But he's there as a living member of the Hall of Fame, and he went into the Hall wearing a Red Sox cap. Yankee fans were going to cheer him anyway, and he should have been forced to wear the cap that is on the plaque.

I always thought he was an asshole anyway. :rmad:

And where was Joe Morgan? He's not working the game, even if ESPN is going to have him on the post-game coverage, he had no duties for Fox. I'll bet that incredibly stupid old asshole boycotted it, because he would have been introduced alongside Rhyne Sandburg, a man he desperately tried to keep out of the Hall, and when he failed, for the only time in memory, he didn't show up the induction ceremony.

I laugh at that fucker almost every week on the Fire Joe Morgan site, but I really hate him for being a classless piece of shit.

At least when Youk was introduced, you couldn't be sure if it was "boo" or "Youk" they were yelling. Pedroia and Manny, not so much. :g